The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 16, 2012, 10:29 PM   #26
kinggabby

People need to read the entire thread before commenting. I Have said before I am not talking about how you carry depending on clothes and venue. I am talking about I hear people say If I am going to a such and such part of town the I carry something bigger or more ammo because it is a bad part of town. This part that is in bold is what I am getting at. I can understand that if you are wearing a bathing suit you are not going to carry a Desert Eagle. And I understand that you might want to carry a .380 in a suit pocket if you are going out to a nice dinner or to Church. Again what I am saying is if I am out of the house if I carry lets say 40 rounds of ammo and a .357 then why would I change that for a different part of town? It is as if you can predict evil when you travel out of your nice parts of town . Criminals are not going to say I will not carry less because I am in a nice neighborhood. They are going to make sure they are totally prepared no matter where they decide to commit a crime whether it is a nice neighborhood or a bad one. .

Last edited by kinggabby; March 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old March 16, 2012, 10:45 PM   #27
Hansam

In response to the OP's question then:

I always carry. Whether I go into town, a larger city, the bad part of a larger city (which I try to avoid but sometimes I end up having to go there anyway), country side etc. I always carry. Even sitting at home here on the computer now I'm carrying.

It doesn't make sense to think that you can predict when you're going to need your weapon. If you don't need it great - carry anyway. If and when you do need it you're going to be glad you have it. If you don't have it you've just allowed yourself to become a victim.
Old March 16, 2012, 10:49 PM   #28
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggabby
...I am talking about I hear people say If I am going to a such and such part of town the I carry something bigger or more ammo because it is a bad part of town...
And that's an important point.

There's the story about the Sheriff who goes to the fancy garden party. The hostess goes up to him and says, " Sheriff, I see you're wearing your sidearm. Are you expecting trouble? At my party?"

The Sheriff replies, "Why no ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I'd be carrying a rifle."

I carry whenever I legally can (mostly on trips to other States). I'm not going to try to guess whether or not I'll need my gun. Chances are I won't need it, but I'd feel pretty foolish if, for some reason, I did need but didn't have it.

And if I thought that I'd really need my gun some place, I wouldn't go there.
Old March 18, 2012, 10:15 PM   #29
David9X19P

kingabby had his question hijacked

Probably in this day and age of instantaneous communication, buzzing around like bees at work, we all get in a hurry to blurt a response out.

Here's my .02. I always carry also. What that means is that anywhere I'm allowed to do so, I am. I will always have one on with at least one spare magazine, and where I wear it on my body and what clothing covers it wasn't germane to his question.

I might even go between a 1911 or a P226, but it matters not a whit does it? He is also right about the threat level being a "constant," one never knows whether the nice, quiet neighborhood one lives in or the nighttime urban jungle is going to pose "a problem," right?

Clint Smith said it right for me. I prefer to be comforted, not comfortable, and do my best to select gear to make the latter as good as possible and carry on with life.
Old March 18, 2012, 10:30 PM   #30
Justice06RR

Changing my way of carrying only changes upon my clothing. Sometimes I pocket carry with loose fitting shorts or jeans, sometimes IWB when I wear tighter clothes. it doesn't matter if its a good or bad neighborhood.

there are no good or bad neighborhood IMO.

nothing about the what I carry changes. the 9mm goes with me almost everywhere I can go legally. If I could carry a rifle too I would, except it would be too bulky
Old March 19, 2012, 10:41 AM   #31
Emuricah513

Quote:
..I am talking about I hear people say If I am going to a such and such part of town the I carry something bigger or more ammo because it is a bad part of town.
Yeah I really can't make any bit of sense out of this. If I'm going to church or a "bad part of town" a threat is a threat regardless. The odds of an encounter happening may be different but I don't think you should change the caliber of your weapon based on where you are going.
Old March 19, 2012, 11:03 AM   #32
kinggabby

Quote:
Yeah I really can't make any bit of sense out of this. If I'm going to church or a "bad part of town" a threat is a threat regardless. The odds of an encounter happening may be different but I don't think you should change the caliber of your weapon based on where you are going.
Again this is what I am getting at. I treat every place I go with the same level of threat possibility. if I say carry my Sigma with 4 magazines to one place I will carry it to all places ( unless dressing for the place restricts me ). Because the way I see it you never know .
Old March 20, 2012, 08:39 PM   #33
MikeNice81

The only time I change my carry set up is when I go to the beach or pool. Then I just can't. Otherwise I have never had a problem concealing my CZ P-07 in the exact same spot. I can even conceal it with my dress shirt tucked in. At 5'10" and 190lbs it isn't because I'm a big guy either.

I don't understand the attitude of, "I'll be in Suburb A instead of on East and Main so I only need a. . ." With the invention of cars the limits of neighborhood boundaries largely disappeared. Criminals have been using cars to attack and flee since the 1930s. Before that they used horses to seek out high value targets. I don't think that has changed a bit in the last 100 years.

ETA:
I've had to pull in defense on three occasions. Every time the response from the responding officer was, "Well, that usually doesn't happen in this area. If you had been over on ____, I wouldn't have been suprised."

One time was in a gas station parking lot in one of the safest cities in the state. Another time was in broad daylight in the parking lot of a major big box store. The third time was in a gas station parking lot in a neighborhood that "is on it's way up." None of the locations are known to be trouble spots.

Last edited by MikeNice81; March 20, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old March 21, 2012, 01:04 AM   #34
rburch

While I can't say I've ever changed my carry piece based on the perceived threat.

Oh wait I can, I normally carry one 14rd spare mag, and I swapped to two 16rd when I was going to repossess a car one evening. Also swapped the 14rd in the gun for a 16rd. But that's an extreme case where I knew there was higher risks.

I do change my carry around based on weather, clothing, and even my mood.

My two carry pieces are a CZ PCR and a Taurus 38 snub. While I carry the PCR most, somedays I just feel like carrying the revolver.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old March 21, 2012, 01:32 AM   #35
kinggabby

Quote:
While I can't say I've ever changed my carry piece based on the perceived threat.

Oh wait I can, I normally carry one 14rd spare mag, and I swapped to two 16rd when I was going to repossess a car one evening. Also swapped the 14rd in the gun for a 16rd. But that's an extreme case where I knew there was higher risks.

I do change my carry around based on weather, clothing, and even my mood.

My two carry pieces are a CZ PCR and a Taurus 38 snub. While I carry the PCR most, somedays I just feel like carrying the revolver.
And how did you know it was higher risk ? Did criminals give you a call and tell you they would be active that night? And on lighter nights did they call and tell you they were going to stay in and watch a movie instead of deciding on attacking people?
Old March 21, 2012, 02:46 AM   #36
MikeNice81

Because repoing a car is a risky venture. It is not uncommon for repo men to be assaulted and shot at it. It tends to happen more in lower income areas.

Also some neighborhoods do have a higher crime rate. If a neighborhood is known to be violent, and you are going there to take a piece of property, it increases the chance you will meet violence.
Old March 21, 2012, 01:24 PM   #37
rburch

Quote:
And how did you know it was higher risk ?
Because I was walking up a person's driveway at night, climbing into "their car" and driving away in it.

There's a reason we normally contract that out to Towing Companies, but the guy had already moved 4 times, and by the time we found out his new address, the earliest any of our Towers could get to it was the next day.

Same guy threatened to break my jaw when he stopped by to pick up the stuff he'd left in the car.

The joys of working at a Buy-Here/Pay-Here car lot.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old March 23, 2012, 08:22 PM   #38
dayman

Hopefully this addresses the original post correctly.
I carry pretty much the same thing wherever I go. I tend to avoid areas where I'd feel a bunch of extra mags or a bigger gun are necessary.
If I were a delivery man, or otherwise forced to go places I feel in danger I might behave differently.

The one exception to that would be hiking. If I'm in bear/cougar country I'm probably going to go.... well, "loaded for bear".
Old March 24, 2012, 03:43 PM   #39
F350Diesel

Unless i missed something, I read a lot about extra mags and different calibers, but not a thing about a backup. Sometimes I go with one gun, sometimes two. (Three on one occasion, but it's because I already had two, and just bought one) There isn't any rhyme or reason to it for the most part. Before I moved out of Southern AZ dang right I always had two, but I didn't always have the best luck being in the right place all the time. Along the same lines, those 5.11 pants are pretty nice; cell phone pocket i usually use for an extra mag pocket, and the cargo pockets are stout enough to keep a .380 in a pocket holster under control.
Old March 24, 2012, 04:22 PM   #40
BGutzman

I carry different weapons based on where I’m going and what I’m doing because its prudent.... After all how often do you see someone in a business suit robbing a store with a gun or knife? It does happen but not very often in comparison to something like jeans and a hoodie...

There are times and situations when I would carry my 460 Rowland but I try to avoid those places and situations like the plague.... Last time I carried it I had to take one of my sons to get a SSN card and the building he had to go to is located in what appears to be a criminal haven with dealers and prostitutes all over the place...

I simply avoided touching federal property and parked where I could observe my son and I couldnt be approached from behind anything... All went well and two hours later we were on our way home...

Normally my P220 Carry is almost always on my but as the temperature climbs and we want to do outdoor activities for long lengths of time it just becomes too hot to wear a vest or a second shirt or anything similar and IWB just doesnt work for it for my body with my P220 or 460 Rowland...

In the past I downgraded to a Bersa Thunder 380 but I recently added a Sig P290 (9mm) which will be taking its place as my secondary choice....

I also commonly down grade if my wife is going on a multi hour shopping spree as my bad knee really struggles with the added weight and miles of walking...

I get it that bad things can happen anywhere and if I find myself with a 9mm or a 380 or whatever then its going to have to do the job as is but no Im not about to start carrying my Rowland as a daily carry, its too big for any sort of comfort..
Old March 24, 2012, 06:39 PM   #41
graysmoke

Major factor in concealment carry....Try to stay trim and in decent weight for your height. Overweight people encounter difficult options in trying to conceal a firearm.
The Pancake design, leather hip holster is the best option for all size handgun frames. Semi auto or revolver.
I like the Bianchi 'Shadow' for my Beretta 92.... and the Galco 'Fletch' for my compact Glock 23

Last edited by graysmoke; March 24, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old March 24, 2012, 07:01 PM   #42
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysmoke
Major factor in concealment carry....Try to stay trim and in decent weight for your height. Overweight people encounter difficult options in trying to conceal a firearm....
First, this is off topic -- see post 26.

Second, I'm fat and have no trouble concealing a Commander size 1911 (I carry whenever I legally can). My trick is to buy my trousers the correct size (or a little larger to accommodate an IWB holster). Some full figure guys tend to buy pants too small.

Yes, I shouldn't be fat and I'd prefer not to be (and work at trying to keep things from getting out of control). But that's another story.

Okay, this thread hijack is over. Let's get back on topic -- deciding when and where to carry.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old March 24, 2012, 07:15 PM   #43
glocktwotwo

Hey kingabby,,,i havent read one of your posts in awhile....i agree with you,,how do you know what situation you might find yourself in...as always a glock 22 small of my back ...16 rounds jhp,,,,same gun same placement on my body always

Last edited by Frank Ettin; March 24, 2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: clean up language
Old March 24, 2012, 09:50 PM   #44
JerryM

To each his own. I do not live my life either in fear or build it around guns and SD. I don't go to bad areas, don't go to bars, and live in a nice neighborhood. Sure there will be the Charles Mansons as long as mankind exists, but I don't bother with worrying about them. Can you imagine that I do no carry at home or in the shower??

Somehow I have managed to live a relatively long life, and all my friends also, without a violent encounter. I am glad I did not build it around worrying about the Mansons or any other thug.

Mostly I now carry a P3AT, and am not concerned about whether or not it is enough on any given day.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old March 24, 2012, 10:29 PM   #45
Buzzcook

Weather does and should make a difference. Try quick drawing from an IWB when you got a parka and a heavy sweater on.

Pocket carry in a heavy winter coat just makes sense.

Having worked and lived in several "bad parts of town" in several cities, I just don't see the threat as much greater than the regular parts of town.
Old March 25, 2012, 03:40 PM   #46
bikerbill

I do use diffferent guns depending on a variety of factors ... EDC is a pocket- or paddle-holstered Kahr PM9 ... but if I'm just running errands in my one-stoplight town, I might have an NAA Pug aboard ... in cooler weather, when I can cover it, I love carrying my Kimber UCII ... I practice with all of them and am confident I won't forget which one I'm carrying ...