The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2009, 08:22 PM   #1
TimT

Greek HXP Brass Question

Is it necessary to remove the crimp off of these rounds? I have read that it is, and that it is not repeatedly on the CMP forums.

I can prime both with about the same amount of effort to the same depth to see if I could.

So what do you guys say?
Old August 19, 2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I find the same thing is true, but still prefer to remove the crimp by running them through my Dillon swager. My reasoning is that even though those three little stake marks don't do much, I've seen enough high primers from very small added seating resistance on my Dillon press that I don't want any extra. I'm also cognizant of the fact that it only takes a slight seating depth failure to encourage slam fires and to cause ignition delays. No point in putting up with either. Those cases swage very easily in the Dillon swager and would do so in other devices, like the RCBS unit, since they are without a very serious crimp to begin with.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 20, 2009, 12:26 AM   #3
rg1

I find that one or two turns with the case mouth deburr tool is all it takes to remove the stake crimp marks or I use the RCBS primer swage tool which takes very little effort.
Old August 20, 2009, 06:01 AM   #4
flashhole

This comment is not exactly relevant to your question but I do swage the primer pocket as needed in any cartridge. I especially like the HXP brass for reforming 30-06 to 25-06.

Are you ready for civil war?