The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 31, 2008, 06:26 PM   #1
BigDinOC

Which is more accurate out of the box?

The S&W 22A or the Ruger MK III. For shooting Bullseye competition. This is a honest question that in no way is meant to bring up the beat to death topic of S&W vs. Ruger.

Thanks in advance.
Old August 31, 2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Mike_In_MD

A gun good enough for bullseye is going to cost you a little more. Either a Ruger MK III (With a trigger job) or a S&W Model 41 is perfect for bullseye. The S&W 41 is Bullseye ready out of the box. I shoot bullseye with the S&W 41. Good luck, it's always nice to see new people getting into the sport.
Old August 31, 2008, 09:15 PM   #3
LHB1

+1 on the M41 for Bullseye. That was the preferred .22 pistol back when I shot BE so many years ago also. The M41's with 5.5" bull barrels were hard to come by in the early 70's. Another option being used in BE these days for .22 cal matches is a Marvel Unit One conversion on a 1911 frame. This can have the advantage of using the exact same frame/trigger type on all three stages (.22, CF, .45).
Old August 31, 2008, 10:01 PM   #4
Casimer

I suspect that the MK III is a better bet. They seem to have a better reputation for accuracy and reliability. If you shop around for a used one, you could find one w/ upgrades (e.g. trigger) for less than the price of a new one.
Old September 6, 2008, 05:37 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...reputation for accuracy and reliability..." Smith 41's are accurate and reliable, but not with all ammo. Mind you, with any .22, you have to try as many brands as you can to find the ammo the pistol will both shoot well and cycle the action.
In any case, buy the pistol that fits your hand best, then try ammo brands. Different grips can be had for the more common makes, but not all.
Old September 7, 2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Casimer

I agree that the 41 has more potential than the MKIII, but the only other option he'd mentioned is the 22A.
Old September 7, 2008, 08:02 PM   #7
darkgael

accurate

I'd be willing to bet that there is little difference between the Ruger and the Model 41 accuracy-wise. As to the other Smith mentioned, I don't know - not familiar with it. For my money, the Ruger is the way to go. I started BE shooting with a Ruger Gov't, had the trigger done, and it was then, and still is, a good shooter. I moved on to a High Standard Victor but that's another story. I know that the model 41 has a great following but anyone I know who owns one doesn't use it (and I know a bunch of BE shooters); they shoot H-S, Hammerli, Walther, Ruger. The Smith is a pretty gun, accurate, but it can be darn finicky about ammo. I rarely see them on the line anymore.
Pete
Old September 7, 2008, 09:25 PM   #8
jmorris

I’ve never had the privilege to own a 41 but I have a 22a and M2 (5.5") & M3(4"). My m2 is the most accurate with a 1.5X Leupold it will put 10 rounds into 3.5” @ 100 yards. The 22a is more of a plinker.
Old September 8, 2008, 01:46 AM   #9
darkgael

M2

A three and half inch group at 100 yards is nice shooting. Is that M2 a Walther? Did a search for "Smith and Wesson M2" and it came back with the Walther SP22 M2.
Pete
Old September 8, 2008, 05:44 AM   #10
zippy13

I don't know about the other models discussed, I have a Model 41 and a Ruger with a Volquartsen trigger. I prefer shooting the S & W, and rested groupings give it an edge over the Ruger. My wife prefers the Ruger because it's a little lighter.
Old September 8, 2008, 09:20 AM   #11
jmorris

Quote:
M2

A three and half inch group at 100 yards is nice shooting.
Sorry, Ruger Mark II. I couldn't shoot a group like that without the scope, but that’s what the pistol is capable of doing.