The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2004, 06:32 PM   #1
cmullis

Model 12 barrel change

I've got a Model 12 12ga., made in 1930, which has a 30", full choke, straight barrel. I want to use it for quail and am thinking about changing the barrel to a 28", modified choke, with vent rib. Is this practical? And, if so, where can I find a barrel?
Semper Fi,
Craig
Old September 14, 2004, 09:01 AM   #2
BigG

Unlike more modern shotgun designs where the bbl comes off by itself, the Model 12 has a unit construction with the bbl and the magazine pump handle assembly all together. You would need a whole front half of the gun to change chokes.

Or you could get a gunsmith to install choke tubes.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old September 14, 2004, 01:34 PM   #3
Clemson

Actually, the barrel can be changed. There is a degree of fitting required, so it needs to be done by someone competent to do that type of work. I put a new, vent rib barrel on a 20 gauge model 12 about a year ago. The Winchester rib requires a rib extension that fits on the receiver and requires that the receiver be milled for it. I would suggest that you contact Simmons about shortening your barrel and fitting a rib and extension to it. They can also install choke tubes and convert your gun to the configuration that you desire. It will probably be more cost effective to shorten, rib, and thread the existing barrel than to find and fit a new one. If you really need to find a new barrel, Numrich (www.egunparts.com) lists new 12 gauge barrels but they only have 20 inch cylinder bore and 30 inch full choke barrels shown.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old September 19, 2004, 08:43 PM   #4
paul salchow

model 12

hi,i work for simmons gun repair in olathe kansas.fitting a barrel assy. to your receiver is no problem,finding a barrel assy. is.we were going through midwest gun works for ours,they are now out of them.at the present time i have adjusting rings and lock screws only,i could probly come up with one complete 12 ga. barrel assy. but i am not to sure on that.the only thing to be warry of when buying a used model 12 barrel is that the chamber is still good,even so i can sleave it if nessary.as far as just fitting a barrel assy. to you receiver it costs $150.00 plus parts if needed.a rib on barrel only is $249.00 covers bluing of barrel and rib and reblue whole gun is $349.00.this includes the ramp on the receiver.if you have any questions,please call 913-782-3131,we will be happy to help. paul salchow,gunsmith.
Old October 19, 2004, 03:40 AM   #5
sled-dog

please can someone explain what is needed to "hand fit" another barrel to the model 12? why cant you for instance just unscrew the old barrel from the reciever extension and screw the other in? if your using all of the exact same parts except for the new barrel and that new barrel has the exact same chamber dimension of 2-3/4" and its a winchester factory barrel then everything should be the exact same right?