The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2002, 08:08 AM   #1
Redwood

Neck vs. Full length resizing

I'm fairly new to rifle reloading. (Have been pistol reloading for years) What are the pros & cons of neck vs. full lenght sizing. I plan to be reloading for 22 hornet, 257 roberts and 7mm-08. I may be relaoding for more than one gun but at present only one rifle of each. (I could keep my brass seperate if needed.) I kind of lean towards Redding dies. any help is appreciated. thanks...
Gonic, NH
Old November 23, 2002, 08:25 AM   #2
Quantrill

FL sizing vs. Neck sizing

Red,
I'm sure you will get loads of advice but the bottom line on this is FL if the reloaded rounds are to be used in a different rifle or a semi-auto or a pump. Neck size if to be used in the same rifle as originally fired. Quantrill
Old November 23, 2002, 09:14 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Once the brass is fireformed, neck sized, and reused in the same gun, it fits the chamber and will align the bullet with the bore better. This might show up in better accuracy. The brass will be a little larger and will hold a smidgen more powder. This will help - a smidgen - if you are trying to squeeze out the last possible fps.

It is often said that the brass will last longer. I dunno. Most brass, if you don't set the shoulder back in a FL die, will fail by neck splits anyway. The Redding bushing dies that let you size the neck just enough and do not use an expander ball can very well work the brass less and extend its life.

I always thought one advantage of neck sizing was not having to lube and delube the brass.

You might have to FL the brass every four or five times around for it to chamber freely. And I would either FL size hunting ammo or run neck sized ammo through the gun before going to the woods.
Old November 23, 2002, 01:51 PM   #4
swifter...

I like Redding too. I really like bushing dies,
Good advice out already, so I'll just say: Set shoulder back 0.002" when you FL. Try FL and neck sized rounds in your rifle, see what it likes.
Expander balls jerk necks out of alignment. Redding makes a body die and a FL bushing die...
Tom