The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 5, 2016, 08:16 PM   #1
bamaranger

steiner 8x30 military, used.....?? ? ??

I see used Steiner military 8x30 binos on ebay at fair prices, I suspect most of these are coming out of Europe for resale. I guess they could be USGI also.

So, anybody bought a pair? We had bigger Steiners at work, 7x50 and 10x50, that held up very well, and the optics were great. The smaller8x30 seems a good working glass for GP and hunting.
Old February 5, 2016, 08:30 PM   #2
jmr40

I bought a pair once. Absolutely the worst binoculars I've ever looked through. The Leupold Yosemite binoculars priced at around $90 are much better.
Old February 21, 2016, 12:54 AM   #3
bamaranger

new

Strolled into Cabellas the other day and there was a huge bino display. So you start looking through'em and danged if they did't have Stiener, 8x30 military.

THey were about $100 higher than the last time I priced them some years back. ($299 at this time).

And....I was greatly disappointed in the visuals of them. Comparatively priced Nikon's, Leupold's, even a set of Redfields for $100 less, were far brighter and clearer.

Can't advise on how durable, but the look was a disappointment.