The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 14, 2016, 01:40 AM   #1
oregongunner

Build or buy AR upper receiver

This is my first build, Just got done with the lower. So should I build or buy the upper? Planning on putting some magpul furniture or a free floating rail on it. If i were to buy it which ones should I look at? Under 400$ thanks

Jack
Old January 14, 2016, 01:55 AM   #2
marine6680

I usually suggest new builders get a complete upper the first time.

Not that it is particularly difficult, it just tends to require more setup and tools than most have on hand, and it's good to know a system before you build the part most important to function and reliability.
Old January 14, 2016, 08:04 AM   #3
mxsailor803

marine has a very valid point. Depending on your purpose, you can find a decently accurate shooter upper for around $300. I tend to use Palmetto State Armory a lot and have never had a complaint other than their shipping is a little slow.
Old January 14, 2016, 08:16 AM   #4
rickyrick

Depends. To me, the upper is easier to assemble then the lower if you have the tools
Old January 14, 2016, 08:42 AM   #5
Mobuck

You don't save much(ANYTHING) with a DIY upper. I have the tools and put an upper together occasionally if I find a smoking deal on individual parts but not often. I figure the place that assembles a couple of hundred per day (or even per week) is going to have the experience, tools, and so forth to do a better job than some guy with slip joint pliers and a screwdriver(no reflection on the OP).
Old January 14, 2016, 10:20 AM   #6
pilpens

If you have free access to the tools (torque wrench, vise, receiver block), build. Otherwise, buy: $400 budget = $250 upper w/pinned FSB + $100 BCG & CH + $50 rear sight.
====
Aimsurplus has some free shipping.
Palmetto has some very good sale prices.
Old January 14, 2016, 05:21 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

With that budget and no tools, I'd say buy.
Don't forget that you may still need to add sights or an optic (and mount).

If the budget is flexible enough to include a few tools (~$80-120) and you have some mechanical skills, and access to a torque wrench and vise, I'd build.

Your 'built' upper will probably cost more than something off-the-shelf, but it also won't have the added expense of customizing after the purchase. (Such as swapping furniture or going free-float.) It'll be what you want, rather than something that needs to be customized.
Old January 14, 2016, 05:45 PM   #8
oregongunner

I'm looking at a Ptac 16" flat top upper with just the front sight. what tools would I need to install a free floating hand guard? And also who makes a budget hand guard in either fde or od green? Thanks

Jack

Last edited by oregongunner; January 14, 2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old January 14, 2016, 05:59 PM   #9
bfoosh006

PSA makes some great stuff.... Just not in the PTAC line.

I have read about numerous problems from PTAC uppers... step up a level.

BTW, my suggestion was going to be look at PSA... PSA middle class and higher, dollar wise is a good way for a New AR owner to go.
Old January 14, 2016, 06:47 PM   #10
marine6680

Magpul is the go to for cheap handguards... Non free float.

To change the handguard to a freefloat... It can depend on what freefloat you get. For most of them... You need a punch set, a low profile gas block. A barrel nut wrench, torque wrench, vise block, vise, new crush washer, barrel blocks...

Some freefloat handguards use the stock barrel nut, so you can get away with not removing the barrel, if you carefully use a dremel cutting wheel to remove the handguard retaining ring. You still need everything else though.

PSA, get the freedom line or better. PTAC is hit or miss, many will work fine, several will not. There is a warranty, but it's still a hassle to deal with if you have problems.
Old January 14, 2016, 07:13 PM   #11
rickyrick

If you're dead-set on a free float, it might be less trouble to build.

What is your tool situation right now. If you have or can borrow a torque wrench and a vise. Then all you'd need is an AR wrench $20ish.... and receiver blocks.
I recently got a Magpul BEVblock from primary Arms for 34 bucks. It has lugs that engage the barrel extension as well as the receiver.

You may be able to borrow the AR specific tools as well... I've loaned mine out.
Building may not save money, at least for the first time, but it can be like a layaway program where you get bits at a time.

I've bought complete uppers and I've built them. Either way it's fun.
PSA will do you fine if the item is in stock.
Old January 14, 2016, 09:00 PM   #12
oregongunner

Thanks guys I'll go with the magpul furniture for now. What kind of rear sight works with the standard front sight?
Old January 14, 2016, 09:41 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Skip the PTAC uppers.
They aren't worth the trouble.
(I know, I've had two.)

Pretty much any rear sight designed for flat-top use will be fine, unless it says it's not designed for use with F-marked FSBs (which is what flat-tops should have installed).
Old January 14, 2016, 11:50 PM   #14
oregongunner

I'm looking at an Adams Arms AR-15 Base A3 Gas Piston Upper Receiver Assembly Carbine 5.56x45mm NATO 16" Barrel
How are these ones? seems like a better free float host. One more question now to install a longer handguard than carbine all I would need is a longer gas tube right? Thanks

Jack

Last edited by oregongunner; January 15, 2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old January 15, 2016, 12:12 AM   #15
oregongunner

And also what about the AR-Stoner ones? Sorry about all the questions
Old January 15, 2016, 12:28 AM   #16
mxsailor803

Adams is good. The AR Stoner is not bad but not my first choice. Take a look at Sota Arms as well. I've got a .300bo from them and like it a lot.
Old January 15, 2016, 04:33 AM   #17
peggysue

Hardened Arms has been my go to for complete uppers at a great price.

https://www.hardenedarms.com/
Old January 15, 2016, 09:19 AM   #18
Hunter Customs

I was thinking of building me an AR however after figuring the cost to build just the upper I could add $50 to it and buy the AR I want.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old January 15, 2016, 04:12 PM   #19
oregongunner

Thanks guys! Another question I have is. Can I use the existing gas tube for a low profile gas block? No matter the length? And can a free float handguard go over the low profile gas block? So I understand that when I get my upper that I'll need a vise block, barrel nut wrench, punches and a low profile gas block. Anything else I need? Thanks! And sorry with all the questions!
Old January 15, 2016, 10:10 PM   #20
rickyrick

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...inus-fa-w-logo

This is a good deal, no FA though, I just ordered one..... It begins again, and so it shall be.....