The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2000, 02:00 PM   #1
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I'm getting closer to actually loading some ammo. Scrounged a lot of brass this weekend. Among the .45 casings are two or three Federals which are in good condition but have a silvery appearance rather than brass. I checked and they're not magnetic, so they can't be steel--but what are they? Nickel alloy, maybe? More importantly, are they safe to reload or should I chuck 'em out? Thanks.
Old August 14, 2000, 02:12 PM   #2
Matt VDW

Those are nickel-plated brass cases from Federal Hydra-Shok rounds. They can be reloaded just like any other brass case.
Old August 14, 2000, 02:14 PM   #3
tstr

Those are brass casings with a nickel plating on them. The nickel plating makes them slicker and more immune to corrosion.

Yes, they are safe to reload. They wear out a little faster than regular brass rounds though.

tstr
Old August 14, 2000, 03:12 PM   #4
Monkeyleg

I have some nickle cases from HydraShocks, but don't reload them because I heard they would scratch the dies. Old wives tale?

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old August 14, 2000, 04:33 PM   #5
Bottom Gun

Nickel cases won't hurt your dies. You should clean all brass before sizing though to get rid of the grit and soot, which WILL scratch and prematurely wear your dies over time.
Old August 14, 2000, 05:03 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Bottom Gun is correct; better wear characteristics is one of the reason for carbide dies.

FWIW, I've shot reloads where the case had a split which I hadn't noticed during the pre-reloading inspection. As long as it will hold the bullet in place, go on and shoot it and then throw the split case away...

Regards, Art
Old August 15, 2000, 09:32 PM   #7
Clark

When I developed 460 Rowland loads [38,000 cup] I sorted through my used brass for Federal.

The used 45 Federal brass worked just fine. The recoil, however, gave me a flinch. Don't try this at home.
Old August 16, 2000, 09:37 PM   #8
Jay Baker

I'm with Art. I haven't the faintest idea how many .45ACP rounds I've loaded and shot over these many years, but have inadvertently loaded a few split cases and fired them. No trouble.

Many years ago it became too much of a chore to bother to separate the .45 cases, so I just load 'em and shoot 'em until they split, then toss them.

FWIW. J.B.
Old August 17, 2000, 06:32 PM   #9
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

That's cool. I'm not worried about velocity right now, only accuracy and cheapness.
Old August 17, 2000, 08:09 PM   #10
pack_rat

Don,
If you found those at Bois D'Arc you are one lucky rascal. I took four double-hand scoops from that brass bin and .38 Specials were the only nickled cases after sorting.
Go by the book.
Old August 19, 2000, 10:33 PM   #11
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

pack_rat,
Did I mention to you that I ended up with over 400 .45 ACP brass from the range?

Don,
Nickel casings will wear out faster then brass but still reloadable a hell of long time. The casings you picked up were from somebody shooting hydroshoks.