The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 10, 2007, 05:31 PM   #26
JAXX

I appreciate your apology King. This issue is very easy to look at from afar through "Rose colored glasses" if you know what I mean. Unfortunately, people who live in San Fransisco who have never even set foot in any forest, let alone the mountains of Wyoming, decide that they know what is best for me and my state. I agree that wolves have a right to exist, everything does for that matter. The area of concern is when thier right to exist directly effects the right of men to live safely and happily. As nasty as it may sound, the farmers and ranchers who homesteaded here over 150 years ago worked for many years to rid this area of wolves. For other people who have never had to deal with or confront this problem to decide that they no what's best, is completely rediculous. I apologize as well King, this is a touchy subject with me, and I lit off pretty good. I did not mean to dump you into that well of Liberalism that has really torqued me into a frenzy as of late.
Old March 10, 2007, 05:37 PM   #27
Kato_Guy

The whole thing about the wolvevs killing deer, moose etc... doesn't bother me everything has too eat. If I love grass do I hate deer for eating it?

In minnesota the dnr has been transplanting them damn wolves all over northern minnesota. How many millions have they spent on bringing them back? how many wolves a year does the AVERAGE person see umm prolly 0.2 people. would it harm us if they were gone? The wolves are doing what they do-survive. If anyone should be mad at anyone they should be mad at the people that are supporting the transplantation and protection of wolves.

My father in law has those things running in his back yard harrassing his dog. I wouldn't lose any sleep if the wolves were gone!
Old March 10, 2007, 06:08 PM   #28
JAXX

See, thats the thing. People say, "Let nature take its course". Well that's all fine and dandy. But here in the real world, that doesn't make much sense. The wolf is pretty much at the top of its food chain. It has no natural predators. Unless it dies of old age or sickness or injury obtained during the hunt, there is no other animal that will hunt it and or kill it. So, if this animal is left "Unchecked" which is happening now because it is considered endangered, then it will continue to run rampant in certain parts of the country slowly driving dow the population of Deer, Elk, Moose and privately owned livestock for that matter. If the environmentalist would just see that it is a predatory animal that needs to be kept in check, then I think the problem would take care of itself. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Because, "The Wolves don't leave Yellowstone, it's a natural barrier" Yeah right, tell that to the farmers and ranchers who have lost cattle and sheep and goats that live over 70 miles away from the park in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.
Old March 10, 2007, 06:55 PM   #29
Gbro

Couple years back the local gander Mountain store had a wolf display(full body mounts) 4 wolves, and 1 small doe. the doe was laid out with the wolves around it. Not one hair out place on the deer!, Why it must have died of fright. When i commented on it to the store manager he said the FED's have rules about aggressive displays. Some people just can't accept the facts of nature, or is it big brother wants to control how the masses see things?
Old March 10, 2007, 07:14 PM   #30
rem33

Well lets take a different look at this reintroduction thing. When the wolf ran free in America a couple of hundred years ago there was how many millions of buffalo at least that many million antelope. Elk were a plains animal and a different people lived here, or at least west of the Mississippi River, Everything was different. Then things changed to farms city's etc. It is impossible to return no matter how hard we try. Man has done pretty good with what was left the last 100 years or so why mess up the balance we have now?

Here in Idaho our Fish and Game Dept's. IMO have done a great job over the last 75 years or so. Deer and elk hunting is maybe the best it has ever been and thing are kept pretty much in balance.

60 wolves were released, with a target of 300 in this whole NW area. Now we have 12 to 1500. Does this sound reasonable really? The whole thing was/is a fiasco from the start but if it had been kept in check like the so called target amount it wouldn't be so bad. But that my friends is not what is happening.

Whats on the Calif. State flag? It's a grizzly bear. Why don't we reintroduce Grizzles into the Angles Natl. Forest, Yosemite, the Sierra's, Redwoods and heck even the coastal Mountains.

It is a different time now and we can't go back no matter how hard we try.
It is a shame so many of you have fallen into the propaganda trap of the environmentalists. Same as the poor folks that have never been around guns are against them and want "gun control".

Last edited by rem33; March 10, 2007 at 08:27 PM.