The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 2, 2009, 04:09 AM   #1
Hellbilly5000

fobus holsters

So i bought a new ruger p95 the other day to carry for work (i am a patrol supervisor at a security company in austin) does anyone know if the fobus holster is any good. I am haveing a hard time finding one that will fit and I am currently useing a holster made for my ruger p85 but it is a hair bit to big for the p95
any advice or suggestions on a holster thats not going to break the bank would be helpful (remember i make 10.50 an hour i cant afford alot)
Old April 2, 2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Ronnie

I use Fobus holsters for open carry most of the time. I am currently using one to conceal carry my Kel Tec P-11. They work for me,requires a hard directed pull to release from holster.
Old April 2, 2009, 06:52 AM   #3
Hellbilly5000

I know ruger sells them for aboout 20 bucks on there website i just dont know how well they work. thanks for the info i have been trying to see if i can find one at a local store and i cant
Old April 2, 2009, 07:06 AM   #4
senior
Member In Memoriam

fobus

I use one for my J frame 357 and works just fine, not the best for conceal but if u carry open u cant beat them for $20.00
Old April 2, 2009, 07:23 AM   #5
TexasCop

The Fobus holsters are a little bit flimsy for me. I like the thicker material in the uncle mike's and Galco brand of kydex holsters.

In addition, the Uncle Mike's and Galco brands are a piece of kydex that is folded over and then held together by two or more screws with rubber rings to provide tension. It's a very strong design.

The Fobus holsters are 3 pieces of thinner material and each is held to the other by metal rivets. The rivet pieces aren't as large as the screws used in the other brands, and I remember seeing a training/warning bulletin from a State Agency that came over NCIC to our department about the rivets tearing out of the holster when an officer was involved in a gun retention battle.

If it's something you are going to use for work, where everyone KNOWS you have a gun, and you carry it for work, get yourself something a little more duty orientied, like a good Safariland, or even a Gould & Goodrich. Check out Galls.com and look up "duty holsters" for some ideas.
Old April 2, 2009, 07:48 AM   #6
rantingredneck

Quote:
So i bought a new ruger p95 the other day to carry for work (i am a patrol supervisor at a security company in austin) does anyone know if the fobus holster is any good. I am haveing a hard time finding one that will fit and I am currently useing a holster made for my ruger p85 but it is a hair bit to big for the p95
You are looking for model number RU-97. Fits the P90, P97, and P95 along with a couple of Taurus models.

http://www.centralpolice.com/Fobus_R...ter_p/ru97.htm

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old April 3, 2009, 05:15 PM   #7
only1najeep

The Fobus is alot cheaper feeling than an uncle mikes, Iv'e got an uncle mikes for my p95 and it works great. i have fobus for my Sigma and it seems cheap.
NRA range safety officer
Old April 3, 2009, 07:08 PM   #8
chris in va

Just understand that Fobus is not Kydex.
Old April 5, 2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Hellbilly5000

I know its not kydex but i need something i can afford with bills to pay it took me a while to get the money for a p95
but then again i get an extra 13 bucks a week thanks to the president maybe i can save that and get a holster in a few months
Old April 10, 2009, 10:28 PM   #10
CWizard

I've been using a Fobus for my 1911 for several years now and like it very much. My buddy has a P90, he took awhile to get used to carrying in a Fobus, but likes it now.