The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 1, 2013, 06:58 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

Kestrels

So everyone...Kestrel's. Who uses them, what are the pros and cons, worth the money?

Specifically for F-Class competition. I keep thinking having one will help me with with wind speed and direction. (Will not solve the problem of course).

From looking at their website, it looks like I need to go to the 4500 series to get wind direction. For those of you that have one, is the wind direction that big of a difference, or is it worth more for speed, then look at various indicators downrange.

Bottom line, should I spend my hard earned money on one, or save for something else?

Thanks all!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

I personally don't have one but shoot with several who do. They generally take a reading before they before they approach the line and gage that against other indicators. ie, flags, vegetation,mirage, etc. It then goes back into it's pouch until the next relay. But these ranges are not open to alot of wind. It's the direction changes that are the killers.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old March 3, 2013, 11:28 AM   #3
allaroundhunter

I use a 2500, but I do not shoot F-Class. If you want to know the wind direction, you can get a less expensive one and then get the weather vane mount and it will show you the direction of the wind.

As far as helping with the problem, it will get you a reading at the muzzle, but wind further downrange is still up to you. What I have liked using it for is when I am out and about on the family farm I will take a wind reading, and see how much that wind speed affects the vegetation. That way, even if I can't get a reading from my wind meter downrange, I still have a good idea of what speed the wind is.

Wind direction is a big deal as it could make a 10 mph wind only affect the bullet as much as a 5 mph wind. I prefer to just toss some grass to get an idea of the wind direction as opposed to spending much more money on a 4500.

My advice is to go with a 2500 and read wind direction on your own. Again, your Kestrel won't give you the direction of wind downrange, that is up to you to figure out based on environmental conditions. Relying too much on technology will keep you from becoming a good long range shooter (IMO).
Old March 11, 2013, 08:38 AM   #4
oryx

They can be worth the money but will only tell you the condition at the location of the sensor. A wind meter gives you the precise condition vs having to guess, but is only a single tool. When using it, don't just take a quick reading. Use it for an extended period of time to observe the predominant conditions, gust strengths, let offs, direction shifts etc. reading the wind should not be a quick measurement but an ongoing activity. A meter gives you great information when used correctly.
The better you understand what is happening over time, the better you can use the information to manage your adjustments and shot timing.
Old March 11, 2013, 12:50 PM   #5
kraigwy

My Kestrel only gives wind speed and temp. Not hard to figure out which way the wind is blowing.

I have a tall scope stand (used also for offhand), a piece of orange tape at the top tells me which way the wind is blowing.

I count on my spotting scope more then the Kestrel when shooting long range.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071