The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 23, 2012, 08:50 AM   #1
mykeal

Traditions revolver manufacturer

The following has also been published on The High Road and Black Powder Times black powder forums:

The discussion (sometimes debate and, thankfully rarely, argument) in the black powder forums regarding what company is the 'better' manufacturer of firearms is seemingly endless. This is actually a good thing as it keeps the manufacturers aware that their customers continue to care about the quality of their offerings, and are not hesitant to make public any shortcomings.

Traditions does not provide the sources of their products on line or in the catalog. As a result, many people believe they are the original manufacturer of the products they sell and warranty. In fact, Traditions is a distributor, buying at wholesale from importers and selling to both other wholesalers and the retail market. This is a common and thoroughly legitimate business practice emphasizing skill in inventory control and logistics.

To bring a larger measure of accuracy to the discussion regarding manufacturer quality, it's important to 'lift the veil' as to the source of Tradition's products. Along those lines I recently asked them to divulge the manufacturer of their black powder revolver line; they responded directly and quickly to my request, providing the manufacturer's name. Unfortunately, the responding message contained a non-disclosure caveat prohibiting me from passing the answer along; I suspect the caveat was standard 'signature line' addition to all emails and probably not intended to have the effect it does in this case. Nonetheless, I'm bound to honor it.

I can say the manufacturer is a very large and popular company. Traditions does not remove the manufacturer's stamps from the guns, so anyone who has recently purchased a gun from Traditions can readily see who the manufacturer was; perhaps they could provide that information.

Lastly, I have to admit I'm puzzled by Tradition's policy of not naming the manufacturer in their catalog listings. Other retailers do so, and it would seem to me, at least in the case of the revolver manufacturer, that it would only be a positive selling point.
Old August 23, 2012, 09:08 AM   #2
kraigwy

About 10-12 years ago I bought a Tradition's Scofield repleca in 45 LC. Shot some mild loads and the lock promply broke off and went flying over my shoulder.

I've been trying every since to find out who made the gun so I could get a replacement part to no avail.

Can't get any information from Tradition, or anyone else. Last time I'll ever buy one of their guns, and tell everyone I see to stay away from Tradition.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 23, 2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Recently added a Traditions C and B Cattleman

This is a late model revolver and I bought it new. I have not shot it a lot and so I can't speak to the issues Kraig came up with.

Supporting Mykeal I won't say who built it but I think we all know.

From a fit and finsh standpoint and from a tightness and smoothness standpoint it is the equivalent of the two Uberti's I just bought.
Old August 23, 2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Noz

I have bought several Traditions 1860s and they were all made by Pietta.
Old August 23, 2012, 01:55 PM   #5
mykeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy
About 10-12 years ago I bought a Tradition's Scofield repleca in 45 LC. Shot some mild loads and the lock promply broke off and went flying over my shoulder.

I've been trying every since to find out who made the gun so I could get a replacement part to no avail.

Can't get any information from Tradition, or anyone else. Last time I'll ever buy one of their guns, and tell everyone I see to stay away from Tradition.
Did you attempt to return the gun and parts to Traditions? Did they refuse to accept it?
Old August 23, 2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Hawg

Earlier they bought guns from Uberti, Pietta and ASM. I think they're all Pietta now. I saw one brass 51 with ASM, CVA and Traditions Logo on it. I assume CVA bought it from Traditions and resold it.
Old August 23, 2012, 07:47 PM   #7
radom

Last one I got was a 2011 dated Pietta.
Old August 24, 2012, 03:05 AM   #8
duelist1954

I own a couple of Traditions C&B revolvers. Both were made by Pietta.
Old August 30, 2012, 09:51 AM   #9
arcticap

Traditions even sells this Pietta Puma .22 rifle:

http://www.pietta.us/products/Carabi...S50_02_big.jpg