The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 7, 2012, 09:42 AM   #1
brazosdave

Bit by the bug in Texas

I have gotten to the point where I don't even really touch my modern guns. I have been shooting my Pietta replica 1860 and 1851's at the range all summer, and still can't get enough! I would like to get into cowboy action shooting, but don't have a lever action rifle or sxs shotgun, so that might be awhile. I know it is way more convenient to use cartridge guns, but does any one here use the percussion revolvers for SASS shooting? I'm not looking to be so darn quick like the guys I see on the videos, I'd just like to go and have fun.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:38 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Welcome to the congregation

Take a seat. The hymnals are on the pew.

Most of the preachers keep the sermons short.

That maximizes range time.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdave
I know it is way more convenient to use cartridge guns, but does any one here use the percussion revolvers for SASS shooting?
There are a number of us that shoot C&B revolvers in the Frontiersman category. Local monthly matches may only have one or two - depending on the club - but larger annual, state and regional matches usually draw more. The US Open match going on right now in Sparta, IL has 13 Frontiersmen shooting at last count. Comin At Cha at the Badlands Bar 3 up by Clarksville, Texas will have a dozen or more Frontiersmen from all over the country in November. I'd say that some National and World Champions will be there.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 7, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
bushmaster65

Hey brazosdave Nice to see someone on here thats REEL local. I'm in Nolanville!
Going to "stans" with my neighbor early Sunday with my
dragoon and walker. He's never tried C&B so I'm trying to create
a new junky.
why not bring your iron...
Going to the gun show at the Killeen civic center tomorrow to try
and find some GOEX.
Anyway, nice to cya on here.
Old September 8, 2012, 02:41 PM   #5
brazosdave

Hello to all!

Hey guys thanks for the welcomes! It was especially cool to see that Bushmaster lives right down the road from me. There is nothing like shooting at the range at Ft. Hood when the guys are zeroing their m-4's, and then my irons go off. It's a kick to see em react, lol!
Old September 8, 2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Ideal Tool

Hello, everyone. I too like the old ones! Though I don't shoot CAS, There is an informal Cowboy long-range shoot..200yds. at Ram silhouette.I might just try this.
Anyway, brazosdave's post jogged my memory..back in the early 80's, there was an IHMSA silhouette club in MI. that had special matches for percussion revolvers..shooting silhouettes at reg. distance..50M, 100M, 175M & way out there at 200M for rams..don't know how they got their elevation out there with fixed sights? But sounds like a hoot!
Old September 8, 2012, 06:28 PM   #7
B.L.E.

Quote:
Hey brazosdave Nice to see someone on here thats REEL local. I'm in Nolanville!
Going to "stans" with my neighbor early Sunday with my
dragoon and walker. He's never tried C&B so I'm trying to create
a new junky.
why not bring your iron...
The Texas Muzzleloading Rifle Association is having its annual fall shoot Oct. 4,5,6,and 7. The match schedule includes a "as issue" revolver re-entry match. Shot at a bullseye target at 25 yards, one handed.
You can reenter as often as you want and the match fee money is divided between the club and the top 3 scores.
The TMLRA is in Brady TX, about 117 miles to the west. The range entrance is at 31 7.866N, 99 22.800 W.

http://www.tmlrassociation.com/
Old September 9, 2012, 01:14 AM   #8
bushmaster65

Hey thanks BLE for that web site. Won't be able to make Oct. but I'll plan on June.
Thanks again
Old September 9, 2012, 07:36 AM   #9
brazosdave

re

hey B.L.E., thanks for the info and invite, I too won't be able to make Oct., I'll have to see what my schedule holds in Jan, along with my funds, lol
Old September 9, 2012, 07:41 AM   #10
brazosdave

Texas Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc.

I checked out their website, looks like a great time! I'm hoping to hit the March shoot, and going to become a member. Very low fees and looks like a fun time camping, barbequeing and shooting!
Old September 9, 2012, 11:18 AM   #11
B.L.E.

Bushmaster and Brazosdave, it would absolutely be wonderful to see a couple of new faces at Brady.
It's not exactly a rendezvous, you don't have to wear buckskins and mocs although you are welcome to if you want.
The club has lights for night shooting at the shotgun range and since the rifle firing line closes after 5:00, a lot of the rifle shooters have a tailgate party at the shotgun range at night, drinking beer, telling lies, and cheering on the shotgun shooters.
There's a trading table where you can find stuff for sale that you'll never find at Cabelas.
There usually is a vender there that sells a lot of muzzleloading stuff including real black powder.
Old September 9, 2012, 02:06 PM   #12
brazosdave

@B.L.E., I'm more of a cowboy wear than buckskins kind of guy, lol. I don't have any rifles or shotguns (yet), but I do love my percussion revolvers. Looks like there's room in that organization for people who love all kinds of the old guns.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
B.L.E.

No shotgun? No problem! I got an extra shotgun.
Old September 9, 2012, 09:15 PM   #14
bushmaster65

maaan...I gotta be realll careful here cuz this kind of pastime can get me divorced damn quick.
Old September 10, 2012, 04:56 PM   #15
brazosdave

@ B.L.E. I'll look for ya at the "frost on the cactus" shoot in March!
Old September 11, 2012, 05:43 AM   #16
B.L.E.

brazosdave, I'm looking forward to seeing you there also. I hope next years Frost on the Cactus turns out better than last years. We were hit with THE storm of the winter and the event was mostly rained out.
Everybody that was there spent Friday inside the range house with the electric heaters and the coffee pot going and mostly just watched it rain and rain and rain outside.
Saturday and early Sunday, I shot a few matches. I covered the targets with Saran Wrap so the rain wouldn't turn them into a soggy mess.
We didn't bother setting up the trap for shotgun shooting.
Old September 11, 2012, 04:29 PM   #17
brazosdave

well, hoping the weather cooperates. It will be cool just to talk to other b.p. and cap and ball enthusiasts. This area is more "black ops gun" centric. I spent too long in the army to get excited about any M-16 variants, and auto pistols are just about as exciting to me as weedeating my yard. I have an old wallhanger that I need to take some pics of and hang up. It's an old Pennsylvania rifle, the only marks on it are a "H" with two arrows, but it has some nice old brasswork. My mom mailed it to me when my grandfather passed, and the post office broke the end of the ramming stick and their is a chipped away portion on the wood on the side of the barrel. The brass latch for the oddsment box on the stock is missing, but it's a neat old rifle.
Old September 12, 2012, 02:52 PM   #18
Noz

maaan...I gotta be realll careful here cuz this kind of pastime can get me divorced damn quick.

Naw, just take her to one of the bigger shoots and let her drool over the costuming some of the women wear.

If she like clothes, you got her hooked.

And yeah, I don't own a SASS pistol that doesn't have nipples.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:52 PM   #19
B.L.E.

Costumes are big at SASS shoots and also NSSA shoots and at rendezvous where you are supposed to pretend it's still 1840.

At the TMLRA shoot I linked to, shorts, tennis shoes, and t-shirts is about as fancy as the costumes get, and we all use our real names too.
Old September 13, 2012, 02:24 PM   #20
brazosdave

Thats good, because my usual wear is boots, wranglers, a button down shirt, and my hat. If it's real windy out, I'll substitute a ball cap for my hat. My wife has got a couple patterns, she's going to make me a frock coat and a vest. Always wanted one. I can at least wear it to church on Christmas, lol! Then again, I go to a cowboy church, so it doesn't really matter how you dress.