The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2006, 09:38 AM   #1
OldFart

National Bullet Company --- Problems and news

Apologies to OldFart, the member originating this topic. I'm inserting this edit at the top of HIS post so the membership may see this explanation without searching for it. The content of his post is not changed in any way.

THIS THREAD WILL NO LONGER BE A STICKY.

The reason is, "Floated" threads are leading to a lot of congestion at the top of the various forums.

There are very few issues so important to this thread that they will continue to be presented as stickies. These will be determined at the sole judgment of the forum moderators and TFL Administrators. At our discretion, the occasional special topic may be TEMPORARILY stuck, and then returned to the normal queue.

If you feel it is important, please send a private message to a moderator of this forum and make the request. Otherwise, members wishing to have specific information will need to exercise the SEARCH function. I'll make every effort to see topics of particular interest given easily-searched names.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by this alteration.

Best
Johnny Guest
TFL Staff
H&R Moderator
-----------------------------------------
You are now returned to the original post by OldFart:
----------------------------------------------

I placed an order with National Bullet when they had their New Year's special, and still haven't gotten it in three months!

I've made repeated calls, and am promised that the product will get sent immediately, but when it doesn't arrive a week or so later, am told a new lame excuse.

I've even asked for a refund which I never got. A friend who placed an order for copper washed bullets the week before also has gotten the same run around.

I've ordered bullets from this company for years and never had this problem. Anyone know what's going on with them?

PS. What's a good source for plated bullets?

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by Johnny Guest; July 8, 2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Insert information at srart of thread
Old March 9, 2006, 10:36 AM   #2
Rivers

I'm betting that you know the difference between those crappy "copper washed" bullets and plated bullets, but a newbie reading this might not.

Check out Cabella's. They figure their shipping charges by price, not weight. Also, Montana Golds are jacketed, not plated, but they're competitively priced.
Old March 9, 2006, 11:09 AM   #3
JoeHatley

I've been waiting on an order from them for over 6 1/2 months. Sorta given up at this point. I've gotten the same "never kept" promises.

Joe
Old March 9, 2006, 11:11 AM   #4
caz223

These are the kinds of things we all need to know!!
Old March 9, 2006, 11:30 AM   #5
redbeard55

National Bullet Company

The cast bullet market seems to be rather competitive. Lead prices over the last few years have skyrocketed. D&J went out of business in the last couple of years. If prices continue to rise I would expect to see other businesses go under. Thanks for the heads up.
Old March 9, 2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Michaelm45

Old Fart

Berrys. Free Shipping
http://www.berrysmfg.com/categories/2-0.php

Graf & sons. Free shipping
http://www.grafs.com/metallic/555
Old June 13, 2006, 07:39 PM   #7
Sig/Smith

Hi Fart

I ordered copperized bullets from Nat. Bullet in March. I cancelled after they failed to deliver. Asked for a refund credit. Been calling him every week to have him credit my Visa account. Each time he assures me it's been taken care of..He stated today that he had taken care of it on Mon.......Bank says different..........Buyer BEWARE with this company
Started with Berry's plated bullets and very happy with them.
Old June 13, 2006, 07:55 PM   #8
DonR101395

Wish I would have seen this 3 1/2 - 4 weeks ago when I ordered from them. I emailed them the week before last and was told by Ken they were going to ship last week they were just waiting on the bullets from their plater....still no bullets this week. As a matter a fact I emailed them again tonight before I logged on to here. I'm going to send them a link to this thread.
Old June 13, 2006, 08:26 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I stopped ordering from NBC years ago when I opened a box of .45s and fully half of them had nasty ass casting defects.

About 1/3rd of them also didn't have lube.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 13, 2006, 08:31 PM   #10
Eghad

If you used a credit card....call your credit card company and dispute the charge. The card companies use the big hammer approach.

NRA Life Member
Old June 13, 2006, 09:13 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

They lost their plater and had nothing for awhile. Maybe the new plater isn't working out, either? Anyone having trouble getting their regular unplated bullets?

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 14, 2006, 06:26 AM   #12
MADISON

National Bullet Company

National Bullet Company?
Oh well.
I ordered a thousand 230 grain bullets from National Bullet. They were advertised as HARD CAST. They ledded my 1911 barrel, with every shot.
When I E-Mailed them to complain their response was "hard cast is a relative thing." I think what they were saying is it's an advertising ploy to get your business. I will not buy from them again.
Old June 14, 2006, 09:32 AM   #13
mad_planter

For those of you that are trying to get them to issue you a credit to your card, forget it. They charged my credit card when I placed the order, 4 months later still had nothing from them. I called them and cancelled my order and he assured me that my card would be credited. After 2 weeks I had received no credit, so I just called my credit card company and had them do a charge back.

Easy, painless, and I got my money back. You just need to wait two weeks between cancelling the order and doing the charge-back. This is to allow time for legimiate sellers to refund your money. If after two weeks you have no refund, the credit card companies are happy to take care of it. If National Bullet does this enough times, the credit card company will revoke their credit card processing privilage.

I read several different forums, and have seen posts from dozens of people with exactly the same experience with this company.
Old June 14, 2006, 10:01 AM   #14
JoeHatley

After waiting over 8 months for my order, I cancelled it. Ken didn't even ackowledge the cancellation...

Joe
Old June 14, 2006, 11:00 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

If the problems are this bad, people need to start filing BBB complaints, and also lodging complaints with whatever state office regulated business activities.

The failure to issue refunds is a BIG problem.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 14, 2006, 04:28 PM   #16
DonR101395

Ken sent me an email today saying my order was shipping tomorrow. I'll wait and see. I'm out of town for the next two weeks, so if it's not here when I return I'm cancelling it.
Old June 16, 2006, 09:34 AM   #17
Wrangler5

This has been a useful thread. I've had National Bullet bookmarked for quite some time because they offer a bullet for the 9mm Makarov (actually a 9.2mm round,) which not everybody does. Hadn't got around to ordering from them yet, but as a result of this thread I just erased the bookmark, to save myself any future grief. Perhaps others should do the same.

Thanks to all for sharing the experience.
Old June 16, 2006, 10:09 AM   #18
Ausserordeutlich

Companies about to declare bankruptcy frequently delay issuing credits and refunds. After they file bankrupcy, the cc company can't reverse the charges, and you just become another claimant. Better jump on your cc company immediately, before the hammer falls.
Old July 14, 2006, 06:59 AM   #19
Big-Daddy

National Bullet

Is anybody else still having problems with National Bullet?
Old July 15, 2006, 10:34 AM   #20
Unclenick
Staff

I haven't ordered from them for over a year. I didn't have trouble then. However, from all the reports listed here, it sounds like they have cash flow problems. You may be able to do business with them if you call and make sure the item you want is in stock and can ship without delay. Don't allow them to backorder anything for you.

Nick
Old July 15, 2006, 10:58 AM   #21
DonR101395

Sorry I've been out of town. I finally got my order. it took about 6 1/2 weeks. I think I'll stay away from them.
Old July 15, 2006, 09:33 PM   #22
cochise

I'm sorry to hear the bad reports. I like their bullits. The lswc were a harder cast than Speer or Hornandy lead cast. I 've sent my 45 cases to them for reloading, it was as cheap as me reloading, and never had problems.

You have made me too scared to reorder now.
Old July 16, 2006, 10:42 AM   #23
Unclenick
Staff

I think you'll find the Speer and Hornady are swaged and not cast (no mold seam). Swaging requires a softer alloy. There are lots of casters with hard alloys to choose form. Magnus, Lasercast, BearTooth, Ranier, just to name a few.

Nick
Old July 17, 2006, 05:27 AM   #24
skeet47

Plated bullets

I order tens of thousands of Berry's bullets,The quality is great.Someone posted free shipping for Berry's and Grafs.Neither of these offer free shipping on projectiles.Cabelas will ship hundreds of pounds to you with a maximum shipping cost of $20.75.Find a commercial reloader that orders by the ton and see if you can piggyback on his order.Ordering what you need month to month will put you in the poorhouse.
Old July 17, 2006, 09:49 AM   #25
Ausserordeutlich

Skeet, unless I'm misunderstanding your post, you're saying that Berry's doesn't offer free shipping. If that's what you're saying, then that's contrary to the information on their website.