The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Shootest

Which sizer?

Which sizer/luber do you use?

And which one do you recommend for a new caster?
Old August 28, 2012, 03:18 PM   #2
jmortimer

I like Lee Precision but would suggest checking out Cast Boolits site for more info on sizer choice.
Old August 28, 2012, 03:34 PM   #3
johnjohn

Lyman 4500 w/out heater. Works good but it's the only one I've owned so I'm not much of a judge.
Old August 28, 2012, 10:47 PM   #4
jmortimer

Was over at Cast Boolits web site and found this new thread from today, 8-28-12, which is useful:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=163506
Old August 29, 2012, 07:49 AM   #5
YARDDOG(1)

+1 on Lee's for the $$ can't beat em ; )
Y/D
Old August 29, 2012, 08:58 AM   #6
jcwit

Got 2 of the older Lyman 45's that I've been using for years and years now with no problems.

Paid a total of $35.00 for the 2 of them.
Old August 29, 2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Vance

I had a Lyman 4500. It worked OK. I then saw a video on the net of someone using a star sizer and was impressed with the ease and speed of it. Drop a bullet in nose first and pull the handle. Repeat untill you have done all your bullets. The sized and lubed bullets fall out the bottom of the star into a catch bin you place there. I bought one and sold the lyman.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCtLi8i7tMg
Old August 29, 2012, 09:13 AM   #8
jcwit

Well the Star is only approx a hundred bucks more than a new Lyman lube/sizer. But I'm no longer in a hurry for much of anything pertaining to my hobbies.

Retirement is a wonderful thing! To bad it comes so late in life!!

Last edited by jcwit; August 29, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old August 29, 2012, 09:14 AM   #9
jmortimer

Star sizer does seem to be the fan favorite. No surprise that it costs a bundle but appears to be well worth the $$$ if you can afford it.
Old August 29, 2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Smokey Joe

Sizer/luber...

Shootist--Pretty new caster myself. I use an old Lyman #45. It DOES fit on the Lyman heater, you just have to angle it, and then use only 2 of the 4 screw holes. Use it with Lyman's Orange Magic bullet lube, and it works slick for .45 ACP and .357 Magnum bullets.

2 screw holes are enough--the #45 has a heavy cast base, and we're not swaging elephant bullets down to .222, we're just knocking a thousandth or so off a cast lead bullet.

You may find a Lyman #450 or #4500--both of those fit perfectly on the Lyman heater as is; that's what that heater is made for.

By all means you want the heater, and the bullet lube made to apply heated--the room-temperature stuff will still be soft and sticky at room temperature, and some will get on some of your bullets' noses, and then they are sticky also. The heated stuff firms up @ room temp.

Used sizer/lubers are often available @ gun shows, or sometimes your LGS will take one in trade. Used is no problem--it's such a simple device that you can spot any bent or broken parts, or other abuse, right away.

A different brand than a Lyman will probably work just as well. No experience there, tho'. Buy what you find used, at a low price.

--Smokey Joe
Old August 29, 2012, 04:12 PM   #11
jcwit

Smoky Joe, thanks for the input regarding that the currently available Lyman heaters do work with the older 345 Lube/Sizer.

The option I have been using is nothing more that the brooder lamps available at a farm supply store. I use either a small spot light bulb or a 100 watt bulb. Yup I have enough bulbs to last me the rest of my life without stooping to the pretzel bulbs.
Old August 29, 2012, 07:42 PM   #12
GP100man

This is my opinion only :

The Star is nice once ya get it set up ,but hard to change over or should I say a little more tideous, but again if ya shoot alot of 1 kind of bullet get it set up & roll on !

The Lyman types are sufficent for my needs & simple enuff to change over to a different bullet or caliber, I have 2 Lyman 450s & have 2 differnt lubes ,just change the dies & top punch to suit my needs.

I really think of a Star when running a 500 batch though.

Just as Smokey Joe suggested used ones are around just look for bent/ broken & worn parts , the main thing to check is to see if the ram has any wobble, the rest of the parts are fairly reasonable.

Here`s 1 of my Lymans I picked up cheap & it has a little wobble & I updated the toggle system for less than 20 bucks. the new ram did take some of the wobble out & it does a fine job.

Old August 29, 2012, 10:02 PM   #13
Vance

I didn't think my star was any more difficult to set up than the 4500 was.
Old August 29, 2012, 10:15 PM   #14
jimkim

I use a 450. I want a Lachmiller. Both will work. The RCBS is the current version of the Lachmiller, but I still want the original. Don't overlook SAECO while you're shopping.
Old August 30, 2012, 08:32 PM   #15
GP100man

A buddy had bought a Star & we had a heck of a time gettin the lube to hit the groove until we actually took the die out & took measurements , then gettin the lube plunger delivery just rite , but after it was set ya could do a hundred in no time !!!
Old August 30, 2012, 10:05 PM   #16
Vance

Lots of videos on how to use the star over on castboolits. Not really that difficult.
Old August 30, 2012, 10:51 PM   #17
c.j.sikes

i like the star but it can not be used for gas check so i have a lyman 4500 w/heater. i also use diff. lub for each. cjs
Old August 31, 2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Vance

Yes you can put gas checks on with a star. I've done about 5000 SWC so far with no problem. Just have to use a properly sized punch.
Old August 31, 2012, 09:19 AM   #19
Robert Palermo

The Star is very good machine and I use it to put gas checks on as well. I run the bullets thru base first and it swages the check right into place.

The RCBS is good as well but slower and the dies cost less than the Star which runs about 50.00 a pop these days.

The Redding while I have not tried it seems to be typical of Redding in that it looks very well made.

Base heaters for any of them are a good idea to make the process easier.

The main differance is speed and as we all know speed costs.