The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 6, 2010, 05:54 PM   #1
erob3

German Luger question

Just hunting some info on a German Luger my dad has come across. From what he has told me so far the numbers on the receiver and barrel match but do not match the frame. The gun has a swastika (hope that's spelled right) on the frame and it has a 10" barrel. The condition is good with normal wear and the blue is in good shape. It was made in 1943. How much is the value of the gun hurt by it not being a matching numbers? I don't have the gun so I can't provide pics. Thanks for your help.
Old September 6, 2010, 06:42 PM   #2
PetahW

It hurts the value a LOT, enough to take it right out of collector status, making it a shooter - but a pretty neat shooter, especially for someone who's been jonesin' for a Luger..................

Old September 6, 2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Jim Watson

10" barrel?
Really?

The Lang Pistole '08 ("Artillery Model") has an 8" barrel with the rear sight on the barrel.

A 10" barrel is an oddity. Even not matching it might be a rarity.

You got pictures?
Old September 6, 2010, 10:05 PM   #4
guf

10" bbl. Luger?

If bbl. is actually 11 3/4 it could be a 1920 carbine.
Old September 7, 2010, 02:59 PM   #5
erob3

I want to make a correction - he now believes the barrel is 8" and it is a
9mm. He has not purchased it yet so he is trying to find out as much info as possible before making a decision. I guess making it an "artillery" model. As you can tell I know absolutely nothing about them.
Old September 7, 2010, 03:21 PM   #6
rtpzwms

Can you give us a description of what is on the toggle? Is it marked 42 or S/42?
You'll need to measure the barrel and tell us how long it really is this is very important, as it has a great effect on value. Pictures sure would help get it right the first time.....
Old September 8, 2010, 06:26 AM   #7
JT-AR-MG42

1943 dating sounds rather strange. How did you arrive at that date?

Mauser suspended Luger production by the end of 1942. They most assuredly continued to refurbish/rework them and built a few after that until the end of the war. But I have never heard of one marked 1943 other than a Krieghoff, and those pistols are dated on the receiver, not the frame.

I have also never heard of a swastica marked frame.
Your description and terminology (frame, receiver, and barrel are the three major components) are a little too mixed for me to figure out.

I would venture this discussion needs photos to be of any real help.

Remember to always buy the gun, not the story.

My take, JT
Old September 8, 2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Drachenstein

Hey, it's a Frankenluger. It was assembled by some guy and asside from it's seemingly neat look it has NO value except as a shooter. If it's a Arty model it will be from DWM or Erfurt, or have sanskirt written on the toggle. There also were no swasticas on a Luger, the person might have thought it a good idea at the time - but seriously devalued it by marring it. Lugers are not cheap by a long shot, buy it as a shooter - no collector would ever consider it unless stupidly priced.
Old September 8, 2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Winchester_73

Quote:
There also were no swasticas on a Luger, the person might have thought it a good idea at the time - but seriously devalued it by marring it.
Perhaps he is referring to a waffenamt? I know most people know the difference but there has already been some misidentification between the barrel length and production date. But I have to agree with everyone here, this gun is a shooter grade having no collector value left, that is, if it was described correctly to begin with
Old September 9, 2010, 11:50 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Deleted.