The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2000, 09:36 PM   #1
e'ville

I'm looking for a recipe for 230 hardball or 200 SWC to load in my .45 LC cases. Any suggestions? Thanks.

------------------
Mark
NRA member
Old October 23, 2000, 09:33 AM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Mark, depending on what handgun you will be firing them in will depend on the bore size. The old colt SA's had about a .454 bore. The 1911 and 1911A1's have about a .451 bore. However, the Ruger .45 colts have about a .451 bore, so if you are shooting a Ruger any 230 grain hardball or 200 grain SWC sized to .451 will work just fine in both of them. You can fire a .451 in the old Colts sized to .454 but accuracy and velocity will suffer.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old October 23, 2000, 01:17 PM   #3
e'ville

I shoot a Ruger SRH and S&W 625s in .45 LC, plus 1911s and 625s in .45 ACP. What do you suggest? Thanks.

------------------
Mark
NRA member
Old October 23, 2000, 08:35 PM   #4
JimWolford

E-

Lead or jacketed?

If you want to use a jacketed bullet, here is how you start.

I would assume you are set for the 1911 and are wondering about using the same bullet in all 4 guns.

Take one of your jacketed bullets and drop it thru the cylinder of one of the revolvers, did it go all the way thru? or did it stick in the chamber?

If the bullet does not go all the way thru ( pushing it with a pencil isn't cheating <s> ) try it in another revolver cylinder.

If your jacketed bullet is a sliding fit in the cylinder of all your revolvers, you are home free and that particular bullet will work in all four guns.

If the bullet does not go thru you *could* load ammo with it for that particular gun but the pressure will be somewhat higher and accuracy will suffer.

If the bullet is loose in the cylinder, you will have lower velocity/pressure and accuracy will suffer.

The closer fit you have between a bullet and the portion of the cylinder just ahead of the chamber the better the accuracy potential will be.

you might go thru 4 or 5 brands of bullets to get the best fit in all 3 revolvers but if you find one that fits them all, it will be worth it.

Same rules apply to lead bullets, but that problem is best solved with a proper sizing die.

After all that <s> the 1911 shoots best with the 230 grain RN bullet and I have shot lots of them in 45 Colt revolvers. load data is in Lyman books

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be
Old October 23, 2000, 11:56 PM   #5
rugercollector

I would say a medium charge of Unique behind a 230 gr. Lead SWC or Round nose sized to .452 or Jacketed bullets sized .451 would be a good load. I use the Winchester WLP primer. I use similiar loads in 45 LC, 45 auto rim and 45 ACP.
Old October 24, 2000, 11:05 AM   #6
JoeHatley

e'ville,

I've got a few Blackhawks and Bisleys in .45 colt, and several 1911s and 625s in .45 acp.

I use the same bullets in all of them. Rainier plated or cast, both styles in 200 grain SWC. Cast bullets are sized to .452".

I've had good luck with these bullets using moderate loads of Bullseye.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA