The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 29, 2014, 07:33 PM   #1
Model12Win

1851 Navy Conversion?

Wel howdy yall,

I'm in the market for an 1851 Colt Navy revolver with a Richard Mason conversion to fire .38 special cartridges. I love the look of the classic gun but would prefer a smokeless cartridge-fed option as the range I go to does not allow black powder. I also like that .38 special is cheaper to buy than some other options like .45 Colt.

I know Uberti makes one: http://www.uberti.com/army-conversio...-top-revolvers and that Cimmaron also offers this, apparently it's also made by Uberti.

What I'm wanting to know is, how would this gun hold up and is it any good? I would be shooting standard factory .38 special target loads, obviously nothing +P or loaded hot. Just normal, Wal-Mart run of the mill .38 target loads.

Can I expect this gun to perform well? How is fit and finish, accuracy? Is the thing going to fall apart after a few range trips? I plan to shoot this gun fairly often, and I also am planning to get a holster and gun belt for it cutom made, that is only if the gun would hold up. The gun would also be used for outdoor plinking and woods walks, maybe some light hiking and even as a backup handgun while hunting small game and possibly deer.

Basically, is the Uberti/Cimmaron 1851 Navy Conversion a quality piece worth buying if I'm in the market for this type of gun? I just don't want to be dissapointed.

Thank you so much!
Old May 30, 2014, 08:27 AM   #2
Roshi

Excellent pistol

I've had the Cimarron version for about a year and a half and shot it often. It is extremely well made, beautiful, and shoots to point of aim.

Be prepared to wait. Mine took 12 weeks from order to delivery.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:27 AM   #3
LeadZinger

You will be very happy happy with a '51 Navy Conversion. I have the Richards-Mason Conversion and like most '51 Navys it just puts a big grin on my face when I pick it up. They are very well made, finish is excellent, and I've never done a thing to mine since I took it out of the box (except shoot it of course). The 38 Spl is an excellent round also and the revolver will handle factory ammunition with absolutely no problems. That said, keep in mind that these are 19th Century engineering using modern steels and production methods so it is not advisable to use +P ammunition.

The three importers of Uberti 's are Cimarron, Taylors, and Stoeger's. Buffalo Arms is a good place to look - they get their guns from Cimarron and usually sell cheaper than Cimarron. Directly or indirectly, I have Uberti's marked from all three main distributors and honestly I can not tell "spits difference" in quality between them. It just boils down to availability, price, and service.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:37 AM   #4
bedbugbilly

Bear in mind that the reproduction 1851 conversions like you are looking at are all with a.357 bore which is the standard bore size of modern 38 spls./357 which is a "plus" for you wanting to use 38 spl. cartridges.

Original 1851 R & M conversions were "original" size bores - i.e. - Colt bored them .360 and then rifled them. The original "38 Colt Short" was designed for these conversions and used a heeled bullet to accommodate the larger bore.

You sound like you don't reload but will pass this on to you anyway. The modern conversion you are looking at would also allow yo to use the 38 Colt Short and the 38 Colt long in the pistol. The cases are the same diameter, etc. - just shorter in length for the short and the long as opposed to a 38 spl. casing.

I load and shoot a lot of 38 Spl. and cast my own. I size the slug to .358 for all of my 38 spls. I'm looking at getting one of the 1872 Col Open Tops in 38 Colt Long/38 Spl. which pretty much is what you are looking at. It will give the options of using the 38 Colt Short, 38 Colt Long and the 38 Spl cartridge - either with smokeless or black powder.

Everyone I have talked to seem to really like the '51 conversion. Just remember that these revolvers are designed for standard 38 special loads and don't try and push the envelope with +P rounds.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with. It should be a fun shooting hog leg!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 30, 2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Kappe

The gun will not fall apart in your hands. If you put a Navy conversion next to a percussion Uberti Navy, you will see that they ever-so-slightly beefed it up in most dimensions. They are not made on the same assembly line.
Old May 30, 2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Model12Win

Muy excellente compadres!

Glad to hear some good feedback on this revolver. I just really, REALLY... REALLY dig the design. I've been on a western movie kick, and I just want a classic gun from the era but something a little different than the common Colt SAA but still able to shoot cartridges, all while being fairly historically accurate. This gun sounds like it fits the bill.

Now all I have to do is find one...

Old June 3, 2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Mike Weber

Ken Howell
http://howelloldwestconversions.com/
Offers barrel liner installations for both Uberti and Pietta 1851-1861 Colt clones. Relining the barrels to .357 diameter. Otherwise you end up having to hunt down hollowbased bullets in order to get a .38 Special or .38 Long Colt conversion to shoot with any degree of accuracy.
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.