The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 31, 2000, 10:21 AM   #1
k in AR

I posted this in Rifle but didn't get any responce from anyone who had actually used Weatherby Service..... Thought I would try here where the experts are.

Subject: Should I send it back

I have a NEW Weatherby Ultra Lightweight rifle that just doesn't meet the standards for a 1000 dollar gun. I already told Weatherby my thoughts. To be specific the stock just isn't well fitted to the gun & has a couple of very obvious defects.
Plus, The best accuracy I have received is outside of their "guarantee" of 1.5". I believe that there is a real good chance that is also the fault of the stock fit and/or bedding. I base this idea on over 30 years of bench shooting experience.

I ask Weatherby to exchange the stock but they would not. Instead, they want the whole rifle sent back to CA., and sent me a RMA number.

What should I do??? Is their service worth taking a chance on UPS getting my new rifle all the way to CA & back in one piece??
They said I can leave the scope on the gun, anyone else ever done this?
Also, Anybody that sent your rifle back to Weatherby....How long did it take them to return yours??

I hate ordering something new just to receive a second rate product that some QC guy just rubber stamped out the door! Sure would be nice if "Made in the USA" meant Quality out the door the first time!!!, but guess that just tooooo old fashion of an idea for todays slash & burn economy.
k

Old December 31, 2000, 03:59 PM   #2
HankL

Maybe no one here has needed to send one back. I have two and have never had a problem with either one.
I would certainly send the rifle back for corrections just make sure that you insure it for the full value. Weatherby has not been in business for as long as it has by mistreating it's customers. Unless things have changed, the guns are made in Japan though.
Good luck
Old January 1, 2001, 12:03 PM   #3
john carney

weatherby guns

i was a weatherby dealer for several years. they are a top notch co.when they moved from la to northern cal. they eliminated their service dept, i have not personally done business with them sience then, but i understand they are up and running, with the same quality of service as before, if that is possable in this day and era when nobody gives a ****.i would not hesitate at all to send my weatherby back and get it done right.
Old January 1, 2001, 04:40 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

k in AR: My 1970-vintage Mark V, made in Germany, had the same problems. Lousy stock fit. It would shoot at least a six-inch group with ANY good ammo! Lousy trigger, too.

I rebedded the forearm, put a Canjar trigger on it, and never looked back. Still got it, luvvit.

But I know nuttin' about their service...

Best luck,

Art