The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2011, 01:21 PM   #1
fsfty

Remington 870 Express

I just bought this gun with the 6+1 magazine, and I have a really stupid question about disassembling it. The manual is really unclear because its a universal manual for all of the 870's. Do I have to remove the clamp that holds the barrel and magazine together to remove the barrel from the gun? All the other 870s appear to need the magazine cap removed only, but doesn't appear so with mine. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old April 9, 2011, 01:25 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

If there's a clamp holding tube extension & barrel together, the clamp has to be removed before the barrel can be.
Denis
Old April 9, 2011, 01:51 PM   #3
fsfty

Thanks man...the thing that was making me a little wary is there's an "X" on the clamp...I was thinking it was a warning not to remove or something. Thanks again!!!
Old April 9, 2011, 02:53 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

To get the barrel off, the mag cap/mag extension has to be removed.
If just a mag cap, unscrew & pull barrel off.
If extension without clamp, unscrew extension & pull barrel off.
If extension with clamp, can't get either the extension or the barrel off without removing the clamp that...clamps them together.
Remove clamp, unscrew extension, pull barrel off.

Be ready for the mag spring to push the extension out of your hand when the extension clears the threads.
The normal mag cap doesn't involve that, it should have a stamped steel internal "cap" inside the tube that retains the mag spring.
Denis
Old April 9, 2011, 03:11 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

I have one. Take the barrel clamp off by compleley removing the screw and be careful not to scratch the finish of the barrel.

Be sure to tighten it well else it becomes loose when shooting and jumps around, which can also damage the finish, but you won't see it as the clamp covers where it wears off.

Wnen reassembling, pop it as explained here so as to keep a coil of the spring from being caught between the magaizine and the extension. http://www.aiptactical.com/Page_2.html

I also recommend polishing the chamber as instructed on that same page.

The 870's with the factory extensions do not come with the internal cap mentioned by DPris.
Old April 9, 2011, 05:39 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

No extension that I'm aware of does come with that internal stamped "cap".
I was warning Fsfty to expect the spring to jump when removing an extension, while noting NOT to expect that in a standard mag with standard external screw cap & internal stamped friction fit "cap", where there is no extension.

Denis
Old April 9, 2011, 07:48 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

Yes. I see that there you were talking about ones without an extension but with the normal magazine cap. Sorry.
Old April 9, 2011, 10:01 PM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

No need for apology, just trying to get Fsfty up to speed on both versions he may encounter.
Denis
Old April 12, 2011, 10:02 AM   #9
schmidty

once you get the hang of it they are easy to disassemble