The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2006, 10:14 AM   #1
rangermonroe

.243 reload data question

Mom just brought me some of grandads handloads.

The data on the box says they are 100 gr btsp over 35.5 gr of IMR 4895.

My lee book says 34 grains of this powder is max. It gives a pressure of 56k, but I see other loads that go as high as 58k +.

Is this anything to worry over?
Old October 5, 2006, 10:55 AM   #2
rwilson452

imr 4895

The IMR web site lists 35.7 gr as max load. I don't see a problem off hand. are you using the same gun he loaded for?
Old October 5, 2006, 11:56 AM   #3
rangermonroe

No. I am using it one a little newer.

Thanks!
Old October 5, 2006, 01:01 PM   #4
Scorch

In my Hornady reloading manual the load data is given in 100 fps increments. It says that in some cases the listed maximum loads may be below actual maximum pressure, but that to get the next 100 fps they would have to exceed max load for the cartridge. Maybe the Lee manual is using the same logic.

Manuals like the Hogdon book give minimum and maximum loads, along with the velocity at that charge.
Old October 6, 2006, 11:51 PM   #5
amamnn

Not to disparage your grandfather's abilities as a handloader, but I have learned the hard way never to shoot someone else's handloads. Also, if the rounds were loaded over 10 years ago, the pwder and primer may have deteriorated, depending upon how carefully they were stored. Certainly there have been many cases of old ammo firing just fine after long storage; as well as many cases of hangfires, misfires, and bullets stuck in barrels.

Just as a passing note: the best place to find up to date and well researched load info is from the manuals that bullet makers sell. Mr. Lee and the powder makers rightly stay well on the safe side, since they do not know what bearing surface and jacket (if any) composition bullet you will be shooting. This explains the difference in load data for a given brand and type bullet.
Old October 7, 2006, 04:59 AM   #6
gary2905

Is your grandad still around to ask a queston or two? Like how did these particular loads behave for him, etc.
If not, and you are concerned about the safety of the reloads, simply pull the bullet and reload the powder YOU desire.
I personally have shot my reloads from 1964- 30-06, using the rather primitive Lee "pound 'em in with a mallet " system and have yet to have one do anything but hit the target.
As a bit of an experiment, I shoot 5 of these every year or two just for grins. The reloads seem to have held up better than me over the years
Old October 7, 2006, 09:10 AM   #7
MrGee

1st off you should take heed to all the warnings mentioned .. also you didn't mention what make an model firearm you intent to shoot Pa's bullets in ?
if it was me to choose.. so long as Pa didn't die from a exploding firearm, an the bullets look clean, the box is 'well marked' an inline w/ loading data, i'd shoot them, but thats me. sounds like your reload, pull a bullet apart an weigh the powder charge an the bullet head... to how close the charge is to the label... you could always use the brass anyway.
Old October 8, 2006, 10:30 AM   #8
rangermonroe

I am not worried about shooting his rounds at all, as I have been shooting them for years.

He died a little over 10 years ago, so no insight form him unless I find a ouija board.

The reloading bug skipped a generation, so dad has been loading me up with all of gramps stuff.

He had a midway label on the box with every line filled out, even the Oal. Generally, when someone pays that much attention to detail, they didn't skip big important steps.

I am going to shoot these in either his win "ranger youth", or my sons rem model 7.

Maybe both, to see if he has a real dynamite load for his gun, that may not work so well in mine.
Old October 8, 2006, 11:01 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

It sounds as if your grandfather developed loads that were tailored to HIS rifle.

It could also be that he developed them using a loading manual that had higher maximum loads.

I second the recommendation that you don't shoot someone else's reloads. I'd break the cartridges down, save the components, and replace the powder with something you develop.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.