The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 5, 2005, 04:37 PM   #1
andymiesha

Anyone with a Kimber Ultra CDP II

If you own or have experience with the Kimber Ultra CDP II I would like to know your impressions of this pistol. I am considering it for my primary CCW.

Thanks
Old April 5, 2005, 04:48 PM   #2
birddog1

I just bought one a few weeks back. I've only put 100 rounds through it, but out of those I had 7 failures to eject and or extract. It would either leave the brass in the chamber or only pull it out about half way. I called Kimber and they sent me a new extractor which I installed last night. I'll try to shoot it this weekend and see how it goes. But I had the same problem with my Kimber Ultra Carry II and the new extractor solved the problem. I changed the grips on my CDP to slim AlumaGrips, which really helped on the concealability. As far as the gun itself, it is very nice, I'm just not sure I care for the 2 tone. Once it gets up and running, it will be my primary CCW gun also.

Scott
Old April 5, 2005, 06:49 PM   #3
andymiesha

I had heard that the Ultra series may have some problems. I am still torn between CDP and the Glock 36. I really like the Kimber but I am afraid of getting a lemon. I know Kimber is pretty good about making things right when there is a problem. How hard is it to install the new extractor?
Old April 5, 2005, 07:36 PM   #4
birddog1

I got rid of my 2 Glocks after I got the Ultra Carry. The feel of a 1911 is much beter in my opinion. I found the Glocks (23 & 27) to be too bulky. As far as the extractor, it isn't hard as long as you have a 3rd hand available. My 10 year old daughter helps me. Total time of taking out the old and installing the new is about 5 minutes.

Scott
Old April 5, 2005, 10:22 PM   #5
andymiesha

No that doesn't sound very difficult. Thanks for the info.
Old April 7, 2005, 11:49 PM   #6
mikikanazawa

I have one. I don't like the way the folded steel follower in the mag has been digging a groove in the aluminum frame (on the last round). Switched to Wilson mags because of this. Where the beavertail meets the frame, the aluminum is fretting a little.

Love the gun, but it's definitely a "carry often, shoot seldom."
Old April 8, 2005, 05:50 AM   #7
sholling

Ultra Carry

I've had a Kimber Ultra Carry for years. They need four things to function properly. Remember with a 3" barrel timing is key. 1) a good 200-500 round break in; 2) outstanding magazines what will feed fast enough and straight enough; 3) a solid wrist. Limp wristing will kill the timing and result in a misfeed; 4) good ammo.

At home i'd grab my tricked out 1911A1 just because I know it's 100% and that I can put double taps into an inch at 10 yards. But the Kimber is still 99.99% as reliable as the 1911A1 when treat properly.
Old April 8, 2005, 10:01 AM   #8
andymiesha

Sholling,

What magazines would you suggest. I currently use Chip McCormick Shooting Stars and the stock Kimber mags in my Tactical Pro II. However, I keep hearing that mags with metal followers are bad in Aluminum frame pistols. Do you recommend Wilsons?
Old April 8, 2005, 10:41 AM   #9
HappyGunner

Wilson Combat Mags.

I use the Wilson Combat 7&8 round Mags in all my Kimbers using the non-metal followers.
Old April 8, 2005, 11:03 AM   #10
Greenfurniture

I've had both the Ultra and the Compact for a couple of years and if I had it to do over I would have gottne the Compact and not the Ultra. They are both very reliable and easy to conceal, but that extra one inch of barrel makes a world of difference.

I've put roughly 5000 rounds through each one, and have yet to experience a single problem.