The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 17, 2002, 11:17 AM   #1
SIGarmed

Any hiking boot fitting tips?

I'm sticking with the same size I normally wear for work and regular stuff day to day in my new pair of hiking boots. I've ordered a pair of Danner Vortex boots and I can't wait. I wanted to get them more custom fit but I can't really find anyone that has them and I didn't want to wait so I ordered them online. Danner lists them at $200 and I got them for $159!

For long distances and colder weather I was thinking about using a light liner with a good hiking sock. I'm going a size wider at EE because my foot is pretty wide and I want to accomodate for more sock. Normally it wouldn't matter with real flexible shoes I buy right off of the rack.

Do you typically wear a different size between your serious hiking boot and daily shoes? I just hope I'm not going to have any fitment problems. This may sound simple to some but I take my feet seriously especially if Im going to hike 5+ miles.
Old December 17, 2002, 12:08 PM   #2
eroyd

When fitting boots I first make sure I'm wearing the right socks.
A top quality (hi-tech) socks are worth every penny. I've also found a light undersock of polypropelene or other hi-teck material under a more traditional wool sock works well. Those hi-tech fabrics actually wick the moisture away from your skin.

Leather boots have to be fairly snug when new. They will stretch a little width ways but not in length. Tie them of tight to the first set of hooks and then just firmly around the collar. Find a steep ramp and try jamming your toes forward. Your toes shouldn't touch the end. Going up hill your heels shouldn't rub up and down. To much space in the heel box can be remedied somewhat by readily available shims or insoles.

As for actual sizes. You really have to try them on. Some boots vary quite a bit. Don't settle for anything but a perfect fit.
Old December 17, 2002, 07:43 PM   #3
Swamp Yankee

As mentioned previously fitting with the correct sox is imperative. You don't wan't your foot cramped or loose as you'll develop sore feet either way. Make sure there is room at the toe so your toes are not pinched together and constantly rubbing.
Another tip, when you first get the boot is to put your hand inside and feel for any sharp or improperly stitched areas. While you may not feel them at first with medium to heavy sox, these imperfections will definately find a way to irritate something on your first long hike.
Take Care
Old December 17, 2002, 09:19 PM   #4
Peter Gun

Dont get hung up on your "size". I've sold footware for 9 years and the inconsistency of sizing is incredible. However I found myself still unable to convince a large portion of clients that they should ignore the # and go w/ the feel. I personally have shoes and boots that have two whole sizes between them. Obviously, this means you should not mail order footwear unless you have tried on the shoe before, or at least a similar shoe from the same manufacturer. Good luck.
Old December 20, 2002, 07:37 PM   #5
AK103K

I wouldnt buy them with the idea they will strech. They should feel good when you put them on, not to tight or to loose. I'd go with slightly snug rather than slightly loose. I wear the socks I always wear, it never made sense to have special socks just for hiking. I dont believe in wearing more than one pair of socks either. In 35 years of hiking and backpacking, I've never had blisters or foot problems because of this. I work outside all year round and walk pretty much all day, and this works for my work boots too. Actually, these days, I wear my work boots for everything but when carrying a heavy pack. The lighter boots are easier on the back and knees.
Old December 23, 2002, 02:52 PM   #6
corsair

You're really rolling the dice when you're buy on-line. Leather in particularly are difficult to fit, especially if they use a thick one-piece design. Having sold boots at the retail end and wholesale end, really good leather boots is like having a prize fly rod or that dreamy 1911.

Anycase, hopefully this online e-tailer has a generous return policy. Put the boots on with the socks you plan to use. Walk around your house with them on for several days. DO NOT GO OUTSIDE. Reason being, if the boot is a no-go, at least the boots are not marked and worn, and can be returned. Hopefully. If the feel and fit is a go after a couple of days, go ahead and get them dirty.
*While fitting, put your foot in the boot (with socks of course), don't lace them up. Tap your toe on the floor, forcing your toes to touch the ends, put your foot down and see if you can squezze a finger between your heel and back of the boot. A finger width gap is the distance you want, this provides enough room for your toes for expansion and when going down hill.
*The next test, is to take the boots down an incline. With them laced up, your toes should not touch. If they do, get rid of them. Your end up loosing toe nails and bruising your toe digits. Not fun.

To break-in leather boots will take you several hours and miles. The heavier the leather and sole is, the longer it'll take. 20-30 miles worth of trails 100 or so hours of sweat and dirt will help form the boot to your feet. Try different socks also, they'res more than enough varieties out there, Thor-Lo, Smartwool, Wigwam to name a few. Keep your boots clean and treated so a cobbler can do maintenance on them in the future. Leather is a skin so it need attention.

Happy Holidays.
Old December 24, 2002, 01:28 PM   #7
FNHP35

the longer the break in time the better. I've been an avid hiker and worked outdoor retail for awhile now, and the longer the better. full grain leather boots I'd plan on buying a good month before you actually take them on a good hike. Any less than that and you run the risk of getting some very interesting colors from your feet. As Peter says, size nums dun matter. I've got some 13's that fit well, but I've also got some 11.5s that work just as nicely. As for ordering online, it's risky. I did it once with boots, but I knew the brand, and I knew how they usually fit. It was a risk (but they were really cheap). I wouldn't do it unless you either knew exactly how they fit, or if they didn't work, you had a fall back pair (and it was a great deal).
As for socks, yes, I usually have a thick pair of wool socks, and a thin pair of coolmax or poly-pro liners. I've found that is a very important factor. So yes, socks do matter. btw, Danner is a good boot, they make very nice uniform boots too.

Andrew (and yes, as all have stated, I'm very, very sadden to see this wonderful forum go)
Old May 29, 2004, 11:28 PM   #8
LAK

I have generally tried to buy boots for specialized usage; summer hiking, fall/winter hiking, winter/mountain etc. I have sometimes found them that match my shoe size and sometimes not. As has been pointed out, shoe and boot sizes differ as do manufacturers tolerances.

Sometimes I have resorted to boots that are "alittle large" so I can wear them in summer, and stuff several pairs of socks on in colder weather. I found this a mistake. Boots that were either too sloppy in summer with thin socks or too tight with enough heavy socks in the cold. Insoles will adjust width and depth - but not length.

I would wait until your boots arrive and try them as you intend using the advices given by the above posters. If they are too tight you can hopefully send them back for an exchange. Danner do half sizes which is very good getting a perfect fit.

Having learned the hard way footwear is one thing I am very very picky about, and do not mind spending good money on the right ones. If you have to spend $200 each on two pairs of boots for two different tasks or seasons to get a perfect fit, it is money well spent.
Old May 30, 2004, 11:33 AM   #9
at2000

Don't pay any attention to the stated size. I would strongly recommend that you go to a good backpacking shop: the employees will know how to guide you through the fitting process. Also, don't settle for anything less than a perfect fit. As other have said, wear the socks you will wear on the trail. Go shopping for boots late in the day: your feet swell during the day. Finally, don't get hung up on any particular brand of boot. For example, I just can't wear Vasque boots (not enough room in the toe box) but Zamberlan fit very well. Insisting on Vasque boots once cost me two toenails following a 4-day, 40-mile hike on very rocky trail.
Old June 17, 2004, 04:41 PM   #10
jacketch

I usually try to buy this type of footwear in the afternoon or evening after being on my feet a while. I find that my feet "spread" a bit after being on them for a while.
the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as
the lawless will allow... Society controls crime by forcing the
criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the
law-abiding." -Jeff Snyder
Old June 17, 2004, 08:37 PM   #11
rwilson452

boot fit

My dad said, Try then on hot tired feet. IF you can't move your toes they are too tight. if it slips on the heal they are too loose. personally I was born with flat feet. good arch support is out, out, out. Companies build their boots from similar lasts. a last is the form that the footwear is formed around. you will find certain makes will not fit regardless of style other companies you can wear most of their products.
Old June 24, 2004, 07:56 PM   #12
mrcalm7

Different boots will have different fits. I have a pair of Montage (sp?) that are almost of an Alpine variety that shouldn't have a lot of movement except for a slight wiggle of the toes. Thats because the boots are hard to break in and when you put them on when new, the leather is still at it stiffest state. Some boots are already broken in.

I concur with the advise on trying them on in the afternoon. Your feet swell and will be bigger in the afternoon. I guess they shrink at night when you are lying down. Also talk to the salesman about the boot. They should be able to provide some insight. I usually buy my hiking boots at Blue Mountain or EMS, with a preference towards the former. They both have a simulated hill you can try the toe test on. Try your boot on with the socks you'll actually be wearing. So either bring them or buy them at that time.

Whatever you do, don't buy boots online unless you're absolutely sure of your size. LL Bean will take them back, (sometimes after you've worn them for years). REI is another good online company, but I'd stay away from most of the others. Your local store will provide you peace of mind.

Finally, don't go cheap on boots. Your feet will thank you as you're 40 miles out on the trail with a full pack. Don't forget to really break your boots in before you head out. Nothing worse than some greenhorn getting a blister and giving up 5 miles out. Ruins the whole trip.

Good luck!

Jojo
Old June 24, 2004, 08:53 PM   #13
Quartus

Cabela's will take them back, too.

Quote:
I wouldnt buy them with the idea they will strech. They should feel good when you put them on, not to tight or to loose. I'd go with slightly snug rather than slightly loose.

Agreed!

Quote:
I dont believe in wearing more than one pair of socks either.

Also agreed! I like a thick pair of merino wool socks - never had a blister this way.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old June 28, 2004, 01:08 PM   #14
Naphtali

This is a follow-up problem that I cannot solve. I own a pair of Danner (Italian) medium-heavy duty hiking boots. They have Norwegian welt and Vibram Montagna (their heavy-duty) lugged soles.

I have broken them in slowly, and I thought thoroughly. But when walking on sideways angle -- that is, boots and feet are angled side-to-side rather than to walk vertically -- the boots do not brake properly at the balls of my feet. Rather, the break is too far forward by just enough to make my great toes very uncomfortable. They are squashed by the heavy one-piece leather that covers feet.

This occurs only on one of the feet, only walking with boots angled one way. I've tried changing insoles and socks. So far bupkes.
Old July 3, 2004, 08:03 AM   #15
jacketch

Quote:
I like a thick pair of merino wool socks - never had a blister this way.
Although I normally agree that one pair of good socks is much better (been wearing them this way for 30 years without a blister), I have recently tried using a very thin high-tech wicking liner inside my wool socks. It is hard to improve over good merino wool, but this combo is just as comfortable and keeps the feet much drier in hot, humid weather.
the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as
the lawless will allow... Society controls crime by forcing the
criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the
law-abiding." -Jeff Snyder
Old July 3, 2004, 08:27 AM   #16
Quartus

Napthali, that sounds like a defective boot to me. I had a pair of shoes like that once - no hope for it but replacement. It'll tear your foot up in short order.

BTW, welcome to TFL!

jacketch, as a newcomer to the humidity of Virginia (NoVa), I think I may have to try your suggestion. What kind of liner do you like?

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.