The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 3, 2000, 08:07 PM   #1
Ding

I'm just wondering if any of you Utah guys could recommend a range to a first-time shooter. Something with a nice gun selection for rent, reasonable prices, and not too far away from the SLC area. Do you have any recommendations for me? Training courses?
How much money should I expect to spend on a range (rental, ammo, etc)?

Oh, BTW, did you hear the story on KSL today about how Virgin, UT passed a law requiring every household to own a gun and ammo? Crazy...
Old November 4, 2000, 01:48 PM   #2
Correia

Ding, I'm sorry but most of my shooting takes place out in the boonies. I live in Logan so we have lots of little areas to go to. If you ever make it up this way e-mail me, my friends and I are always ready to go out and shoot with some first-timers. We have some pretty neat toys to play with as well.

Pro-arms used to be the best place to rent guns, it was on Redwood road but it went out of business.

Down in Springville is Rangemasters. That is where we had the first Utah TFL get-together. They rent guns, I can't remember the prices though. They also have an interactive target simulator where you shoot live rounds at a video screen. Look them up in the phone book, they where really nice folks.

I believe Doug's on Redwood road also rents guns and has an small indoor range, but I have never used their facilities and have no idea what they are like.

If you would like I could add your name to the e-mail list of Utah TFLers, so you can be notified of the next get-together/shoot-o-rama.
Old November 4, 2000, 02:01 PM   #3
Ding

I have a real tough schedule now (classes in the morning AND evening) and its only going to get worse, so I don't think I'll be moseying up to Logan anytime soon. But you know what, add me to the list anyway. Maybe I'll find time someday.

I'll check out those ranges, though. Thanks.

Edit: I just checked out Rangemasters and its an hour away. I might as well go to Logan, in that case (2 hour drive).

[This message has been edited by Ding (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old November 5, 2000, 03:44 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Pro Arms didnt go out of business - they were doing just fine. They got forced out because Zions Bank called the loan. Kinda hard to pay off the remainer of your business loan within 24 hours.

There is a nice little range in Lindon (between AF and Orem)
55 North 1400 West Lindon, UT 84042 801.785.1933

Rangemasters is awesome. They have an MP5 you can rent for 10 bucks. Nice.

Avoid Doug's on Redwood. Avoid at all costs.
Skanky joint.

There is always Custom Arms - look them up... they got a little range too.
Old November 5, 2000, 06:02 PM   #5
Correia

George, is Custom Arms the same as Barlow's Custom Guns? The Utah Gunsmith on your list? Just curious.
Old November 5, 2000, 08:15 PM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Nope.