The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 30, 1999, 04:58 PM   #1
Drew

Hello everyone.

I got my Rem 700 back from the smith (trigger work), and when I took it out to the range, my windage was off 6" left and my elevation 1" high. Is this normal?

Old October 30, 1999, 05:50 PM   #2
Paul B.

Drew. It's possible. The smith had to remove the gun from the stock, and apparently it has seated slightly different.
Paul B.
Old November 1, 1999, 09:13 PM   #3
Wallew

While it is possible, you might wish to remove the barreled action from the stock and check to make sure some sort of 'buggar' didn't accidentally fall into you stock. A very small piece of wood or metal could be the culprit. I have removed numerous barreled actions from stocks and replaced them with no serious change of zero. Jim
Old November 4, 1999, 01:26 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

One thing which can affect the zero when removing and replacing the barrelled action is the tension on the screws. If person #1 assembled the gun, and person #2 did the R&R, the tension (torque) might be a bit different. It doesn't take much...

FWIW, Art
Old November 4, 1999, 12:15 PM   #5
BigG

A wooden stock can change due to weather. That's why a lot of guns are glass bedded or free floated.

Also, as Art said, the trigger guard screws can change the point of impact depending on how tight they are in relation to each other. You have to experiment with tightening and loosening them to get the best accuracy.

HTH

------------------
Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain, and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin

Old November 4, 1999, 05:38 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

As a followup, just make sure everything is tight and then re-zero the rifle. It oughta stay there, or near there, unless there's a drastic humidity change between zeroing now and shooting again a month or so from now...

But when you tighten up the screws, DON'T tighten until you feel it give, and then back off a quarter-turn.

Later, Art