The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 18, 2014, 05:24 AM   #1
NHSHOOTER

shorten a barrel

I have a knight disc in 50 cal which I have had for about 17 yrs it has a 22" barrel and it shoots very well. I was at my local gun shop and found a used knight disc 50 cal almost identical to the one I own so I bought it. The one difference it has is that the newer one has a 26" barrel. I would like to get it cut down so they would be the same. My question is, is this a good idea and is it hard to find someone to do this and do it right?
Old November 18, 2014, 06:43 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

most any gun smith, can shorten it, re-crown, & re-install the front sight ( may have to shorten you rod as well ??? )

my FIL had gotten a bulge in the barrel of his 54 caliber a couple inches from the breech end, & that required more work, cutting, having to thread a new plug, & re-cut dovetails to the new proper location, & etc.

but it's very possible to shorten from either end if needed, but way easier / cheaper to shorten from the muzzle
Old November 18, 2014, 10:31 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Agree with above. Any gunsmith with a lathe can do it.
Old November 18, 2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Pahoo

Trade-offs

Not trying to second guess you and you know what your like. BUT, There are advantages of having a longer barrel. I mostly hunt in deep woods and close ranges and this is where my 21" long barrel really comes in handy. I also shoot bench, where my longer barrels shoot better. .....

Back during my BuckSkinner days, it was quite common to have barrels shortened because of damaged crowns and muzzles. I had one barrel shortened by a guy that was a machinist at that time. Cutting and crowing is half the battle. .....

Be Safe !!!