The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 19, 2014, 04:18 AM   #1
Freeloader Reloader

Problem with Lee Bullet Molds

I love reloading ammo and now also enjoy casting bullets. Most of my equipment is from Lee Precision, as a retiree that's the best value for the buck for my wallet. I am satisfied with the quality of their products and have recently found that their customer service is nothing short of excellent. I have three 6-cavity Lee molds, two in .356 and one in .358. I've cast thousands of bullets with these molds in a relatively short period of time. My newest mold is a 124 grain, tumble-lubed Truncated Cone mold in .356. The first time I used it, the Sprue lever broke in half after just a few pours. I suspected defective casting due to the location of the break. I returned the mold to Amazon.com and got a very quick replacement. I waited for over a month before I used this new mold and the exact same thing occurred in exactly the same location. My warranty period had expired so I sent an email to Lee Precision asking if I could purchase just the Sprue lever and explained to them what happened. They replied that they were experiencing a problem with the density of the casting material and were sending me two new Sprue levers at no cost. These were improved by infiltrating copper into the casting. I appreciated the prompt reply and the resolution of my problem.
Old July 19, 2014, 11:52 AM   #2
chiefr

I have had the exact same mold for many years. Never had any problem like you described.
Having said that, I have never been disappointed with Lee or even RCBS CS.
Old July 20, 2014, 06:05 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

The issues you describe are usually when folks try to cut the sprues when it is too cold. This is usually a result of the mold or the alloy not being hot enough to stay soft long enough to finish up the pour on the long mold blocks.

There are a few post on the 6 cavity molds over on Castboolits which also cover the wear on the side of the mold block from the pivot arm, as well as a couple of folks who sell a better plate.

Personally I did the same thing with a brand new mold, and after reading up on things a few more times found that I was the issue. I raised up my alloy temp to around 700, and pre heated my mold a bit before starting. Since then it is simply pour and dump.

Hope that helps.
Old July 20, 2014, 08:08 AM   #4
bedbugbilly

Freeloader - I also have the highest praise for Lee products and use not only their dies, press but molds as well - I have a number of their molds but all single and double cavities. That said . .

I have read a number of posts in regards to what you are tailing about with their six bangers. Obviously they have had some issues with them as you are not alone. I'm thinking of getting one or two just to "speed things up" - but if I do, I am going to get this "after market" item to do away with the possibility of the problem of which you speak. This is posted over on CastBoolits - he also sells on eBay. Check it out.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rue-cam-system!

I have nothing to do with nor any interest in this product - but it looks like a good solution. You might consider it? It looks like it might be a good solution as well as a "frustration fixer".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 20, 2014, 11:22 AM   #5
kerreckt

I was casting last night using a Lyman 358477 and a Lee 358-158. Both double cavity. Both were dropping perfect bullets. Although, the Lyman mold felt more "substantial" and cost about 300% more, the bullets it dropped were no better. I am not knocking the Lyman mold. My point is, that Lee makes a excellent product regardless, of price.
Old July 29, 2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Wallyl

I bought a Lee DC bullet mold---356-125-1R for the 9mm Luger...I could see light through the center of the closed blocks.....they woudl not close all the way. When casting with it the bullets would fin at the part line. Sent it back to Lee--they sent me a new one with the new alignment pins. It cast well then I noticed the alignment pins would slip and eventually fall out. Lee said to return it. My issue is..I paid once for shipping to purchase it, second time to return the first faulty one, now they expect me to pay to ship it to them yet again... if I were to do so the shipping (3 times) cost more than the mold! Even if I return it (again) I have no confidence that the new one won't do the same. Seems that the new style has issues with a difference in the coefficent of expansion...aluminum expands more than does steel, when heated. I suppose I could drill and tap and afix set screws to lock down the alignment pins. Has anyone esle had issues with their new model Lee DC bullet molds?
Old August 19, 2014, 08:13 AM   #7
Wallyl

I researched this a bit further...aluminum has a 33% higher expansion rate higher than does steel. So when the aluminum mold blocks heat up, they cannot hold the steel alignment pins tightly. This is a serious design flaw; so I will never buy a new Lee Bullet Mold ever again. I have one now and I made a tool to push the alignment pins back into position, when they slip. I used a small wood block an attached two nails....I cut the nail ends flush and epoxied two Small Rifle primer cups on their end...the measurement is 37mm... It works very well, but it is a shame that one needs to use it.
Old August 19, 2014, 04:26 PM   #8
Freeloader Reloader

Lee addresses problem with 6-cavity mold sprue lever

As stated above, the problems I was having with the sprue lever on my 6-cavity molds was getting to be frustrating, to say the least. After sending an email to Lee Precision I received a very quick response informing me that they were experiencing density issues with the metal used in the sprue lever. This problem was corrected by changing the metal to oe using copper infused material. They sent me two new ones at no charge and they work just fine. Thanks to Lee Precision for the quick remedy to my problem which quickly restored my faith in not only their products but also their wonderful customer service. I would also like to give a shout out to Titan Reloading of Wyoming and Dennis, in particular, for all the help he and his company have given me since I started this wonderful adventure. I bought a couple of extra sprue levers from him just as insurance. Pays to think ahead!
Old August 19, 2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Mike / Tx

I'll also throw in a good word for Titan. They went out of their way to help me out with an issue I had with some parts.

Glad you squared away as well.