The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 13, 2024, 10:24 AM   #1
akinswi

Heavy Lead Fouling Colt Trooper MK III

I purchased a Colt Trooper MK III about a year ago and shot it a few times.

I wanted to give it a really thorough cleaning, I ran the borescope and the entire forcing cone area was leaded pretty bad. I worked on it for about an hr maybe got half the lead fouling out rest of the bore was surprisingly in great shape.

Any suggestions on how to completely remove the lead fouling?

The cyclinders were pretty bad but I got them completely cleaned out using boretech eliminator a 40 cal copper brush and drill.

Who ever had it before me shot alot of lead rounds thru that bore.
Old March 13, 2024, 10:35 AM   #2
tangolima

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...-really-works/

This one works.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old March 13, 2024, 12:28 PM   #3
akinswi

Tang,

Looks like Ill have to get both the lead remover and the patchout to neutralize the lead gel.

I always wonder if Kroil would work itself underneath the leading sticking to the steel.
Old March 13, 2024, 12:34 PM   #4
tangolima

I used the solvent on a leaded revolver. It turned the silvery lead fouling into white powdery substance. I just removed it with normal gun cleaning solvent. Be careful about the last step. The lead has turned into soluble lead salt. Put on gloves.

-TL

Old March 13, 2024, 06:11 PM   #5
jcj54

Lead removal

Many years ago I bought a police trade in S&W 64 .38 spl. I shot 6 .38 spl 158 gr lead swc through it. It leaded badly and I was advised to use Mpro 7 following the directions closely.
The idea was that by squirting it into the barrel and letting it soak for 10 minutes then pushing a patch wet with the stuff through the barrel and repeat until clean.
I did so and was surprised that it worked its way between the barrel and the lead resulting in chunks of lead coming out.
2 hours with a bronze brush and normal solvent had no effect. Mpro 7 had the barrel clean and lead free in 15 minutes. The stuff reminds me of Formula 409 household cleaner. It is completely safe to the skin....
Old March 13, 2024, 06:18 PM   #6
DaleA

How about the tried and true Lewis Lead Remover?

https://www.brownells.com/tools-clea...-handgun-kits/
Old March 13, 2024, 07:29 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

A big +1 for the Lewis Lead Remover kit.
All the old revolver shooters had them and unlike other methods that may not be safe or quick, the Lewis works perfectly and fast, with no chance of damage to the gun.
It literally pulls the lead out.

Very importantly, the Lewis tool has a special cone head used to clean leading, copper, and carbon fouling off the critical forcing cone.
Even if you only shoot jacketed bullets the Lewis tool will keep build up off.
One suspect in the cracked S&W "K" frame barrels was that the forcing cones were often badly fouled.

The trick for using the Lewis tool is to back the nut off for the first passes.
That prevent damaging the rubber plug.

For the penny pincers, you can wrap 100% Copper Chore Boy strands around a bore brush.
WARNING..... Many of these "copper" pot scrubber pads are actually copper plated stainless steel and will ruin a barrel fast. make sure it's genuine 100% copper.
This can clean the bore, but only the Lewis tool can really clean the forcing cone.

For cleaning chambers a faster/better way is Brownell's bronze chamber brushes.
These are not just over sized, they have stiffer bristles then bore brushes.
One pass is usually all that's need to clean a chamber.
Don't use stainless brushes in guns, they're for guns in such bad shape you have nothing to loose.

If you want to use chemistry, soaking the bore with Kroil overnight works as well as anything and the leading can be brushed out.

As for other chemicals.....any chemical or substance that will dissolve leading will dissolve YOU first.
Old March 13, 2024, 08:17 PM   #8
tangolima

I also shoot cast bullet in rifles. The Lewis tool can't do it easily so I chose chemistry. It has been working great.

-TL

Old March 13, 2024, 11:07 PM   #9
akinswi

I will try the Kroil soak first (Since I have it Handy) maybe wet a patch and let it soak at the forcing cone and let it dribble slowly down the bore, then attack with a copper/bronze brush.

Tang, if that doesn’t work ill try your method. It was also amazing how bad the cylinders were. That Colt shot way more 38spls than 357s
Old March 13, 2024, 11:08 PM   #10
akinswi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj54 View Post
Many years ago I bought a police trade in S&W 64 .38 spl. I shot 6 .38 spl 158 gr lead swc through it. It leaded badly and I was advised to use Mpro 7 following the directions closely.
The idea was that by squirting it into the barrel and letting it soak for 10 minutes then pushing a patch wet with the stuff through the barrel and repeat until clean.
I did so and was surprised that it worked its way between the barrel and the lead resulting in chunks of lead coming out.
2 hours with a bronze brush and normal solvent had no effect. Mpro 7 had the barrel clean and lead free in 15 minutes. The stuff reminds me of Formula 409 household cleaner. It is completely safe to the skin....
My 64-1 is my favorite revolver. Mine was from a police parish in Louisiana. Best 300.00 I ever spent
Old March 13, 2024, 11:21 PM   #11
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinswi View Post
I will try the Kroil soak first (Since I have it Handy) maybe wet a patch and let it soak at the forcing cone and let it dribble slowly down the bore, then attack with a copper/bronze brush.

Tang, if that doesn’t work ill try your method. It was also amazing how bad the cylinders were. That Colt shot way more 38spls than 357s
Cylinder chamber shouldn't lead unless it is under sized. Carbon fouling? Soaking it in normal solvent over night should loose it up.

I have also tried kroil. It didn't really do much. Kroil is overrated in my opinion.

I actually had better luck with chore boy copper scrub. Get the real deal to avoid non-copper knock offs. It isn't that hard to distinguish. But still the best remedy is the chemicals. It was recommended by Unclenick on this forum.

-TL

Old March 15, 2024, 11:54 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

In ancient times (prior to the current safety culture) mercury was often used to get the lead out, and it does a fine job of that!

OF course, back in those days our science teacher in school would put some in the palm of our bare hand to chase around with a bare finger...

It's so bad, we're all dead now....but we aren't...yet..

Very toxic, not recommended, might even get you arrested or at least fined if you don't cross every 'i' and dot every "t" in compliance with hazmat regulations for use, storage and disposal, but it does get the lead out.

Use the Lewis tool. It works.
Old March 16, 2024, 05:51 AM   #13
GeauxTide

Have used Kroil and Butch's Bore Solvent since the late 80s. I shoot cast to just over 1,000fps in 44 and 45 Ruger Blackhawks.
Old March 16, 2024, 06:37 PM   #14
gwpercle

The classic tool made exactly for the job is called the Lewis Lead Remover ...
Buy one in your caliber with extra supply of the lead removal patches ...
And follow the instructions ... to the letter !
Brownells ... Lewis Lead Remover Handgun Kit 38/9mm
You will love how easily and well it works !
Gary