The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2012, 05:02 AM   #1
Pistolgripshotty

Pistol Grips

I have a 12 gauge mossberg 500 with a pistol grip only and I like it very much however every time I go to the range I always have someone ask me how do you shoot that thing? Am I the only one who chooses to shoot stockless?
Old September 20, 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
drail

Pistol grip only shotguns are very portable in enclosed spaces (i.e. a hallway) but they will never give you the accuracy of a shoulder mounted gun. Most people will install a pistol grip and play with it and then go back to a full stock.
Old September 20, 2012, 01:41 PM   #3
TxGun

Personally, I don't find them hard to shoot well at HD/SD distances. You can aim 'em and you can hit consistently with 'em, IME. That said, I still much prefer the vastly more versatile full buttstock. PGOs do work pretty well in tight spaces...riding inside a vehicle for instance.
Old September 20, 2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Most people, until they get substantial time with them will shoot either way high or low.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 20, 2012, 03:19 PM   #5
BigJimP

If you can put - 3 rapid fire shots into a 12" circle at 30 Feet ...from the low ready - in say, 5 seconds...or less, consistently with it ...I'll accept that you can shoot it very well...

I can easily do that with most any full stocked shotgun ...pump or semi-auto..very consistently...even in around 3 sec / and I do a lot of shotgunning at clays every week....but I'd be lucky to hit a 4 Foot Circle ....with a pistol grip only shotgun at 30 Feet by those standards..../ many of us would easily have 1 or 2 shots out of that 12" circle ...with that gun in 5 seconds.
Old September 20, 2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Creeper

Quote:
If you can put - 3 rapid fire shots into a 12" circle at 30 Feet ...from the low ready - in say, 5 seconds...or less, consistently with it ...I'll accept that you can shoot it very well...
And if not... in all haste, get thee to a shouldered stock.

C
Old September 21, 2012, 02:49 PM   #7
drail

With a full butt stock you get the free buttstroke app. Nothing like a good buttstroke.
Old September 21, 2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Shotgun693

They were popular with SWAT and lots of other Cops in the late 70's and early 80's. Most of'm wound up with Arthritis in their wrist and elbow. Sgt Howell with Galveston PD was issued one and stuck it in his truck. He bought his own shotgun with a butt stock to use on SWAT. I avoided'm like they were ugly women.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:04 AM   #9
BigJimP

There were a lot of things from the 70's and 80's....that seemed like a really cool idea at the time .....

a. like white belts....and white buck shoes...
b. the leisure suits....in robins egg blue...or maybe lime green...
c. the big collared shirts
d. the gold chains...and pendants...

our buddy Zippy can probably tell us a few more... ....or maybe DaveMcC or TheKlawman...those guys were probably "stylin" in those days....
Old September 22, 2012, 10:46 AM   #10
Strafer Gott

I had a hunting buddy try a M500 with a pistol grip. Unfortunately, he broke a front tooth with it, in recoil, with cheapy low brass. Damn things should have a warning label on it. That tooth would have bought him a Benelli! Imagine what a turkey load would have done.
Old September 23, 2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Pistolgripshotty

Strafer Gott,

Yeah everybody tries to put the gun up to there face and aim even with the pisol grip only, but don't really realize whats about to happen (as far as recoil). But that's a mistake you only make once. Thats a bummer!
Old September 23, 2012, 08:02 AM   #12
krimmie

Quote:
There were a lot of things from the 70's and 80's....that seemed like a really cool idea at the time .....

a. like white belts....and white buck shoes...
b. the leisure suits....in robins egg blue...or maybe lime green...
c. the big collared shirts
d. the gold chains...and pendants...
Don't forget disco!
Old September 23, 2012, 08:40 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Disco died in 1979...

I still own the pistol grip that came on my M-500D...

The real convincer was the hand to hand (with weapons) matches me and my buddies engaged in...

The person with a PGO gun had less retention ability while also facing physical attack upon their person... We didn't have simulated role playing... we literally went after one another like we meant it! Full contact with requisite injuries... The hand gun holder and full stocked long gun handler were both well better at retention and defense...

Brent
Old September 23, 2012, 12:37 PM   #14
TheKlawMan

Quote:
The real convincer was the hand to hand (with weapons) matches me and my buddies engaged in...
For some real fun do it with fixed bayonets (unsheathed).