The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 26, 2011, 03:16 AM   #1
Gunn Smithy

What Size Revolver Do I Have?

This should be a simple question but anymore I'm not so sure. In SASS I started out with Ruger Old Armies converted to fire 45 LC and they were big guns. I was shooting 300 grain full house black powder rounds. I then switched over to Ruger Bisley Vaquero's in 45 LC and being new models they seemed to be a little petite so I changed my load to 200 grainers accordingly.

I'm now out of SASS and have sold my gear and guns and started up my collection of 44 magnum's including an old model Ruger Bisley Vaquero. It of course is a larger, heavier gun suited for the caliber.

My question to you folks is I also have a Ruger Bisley Hunter in 44 mag which I've been told is a super blackhawk. The SASS 45's I put a Brownells, Wolff spring kit into each to lighten the action a bit and it worked terrifically. I want to do the same thing with my Old Model Bisley and my Bisley Hunter in 44 mag (new model if you want to label it) but it looks so beefy i'd swear it was as big frame wise as an old model or wouldn't it have to be to chamber the 44 mag?

Now Brownells lists a kit for the old model that has very different spring designations between old and new in spring poundage. I would contribute this to the length the spring has to span inside the gun. Longer in the old model and shorter in the new model so that makes sense. I would then gather that the old model Bisley would require an old model spring kit and that a new model kit would not work? But looking at the guns if I had to guess, I'm kind of thinking that I would need the same old model kit for the NEW model Bisley Hunter because it's in 44 mag and is so large? Can anyone set me straight?

Thanks in advance for the folks that can shed some light on this matter. Smithy.
Old June 26, 2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Jim Watson

It sure looks to me like if it is a .44 magnum it takes the hammer springs Brownells lists as "Fits Single Six, Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk Hunter, Maximum Blackhawk, Bisley, and large frame Vaquero."

They show the same trigger springs for all New Model (transfer bar action) Rugers.
Old June 26, 2011, 10:08 AM   #3
GURU1911

Totally agree with mr. Watson

I totally agree with what mr. Watson has said. Atta-boy jim !!!!

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"