The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2011, 04:31 AM   #1
soundhd

Mako & Knoxx Recoil Absorbing Stocks For Mossberg 500?

Looking to modify my Mossberg 500 some.....found the Mako line of recoil absorbing stocks......they also have a folding recoil absorbing stock....Also found that a company named Knoxx also makes recoil absorbing stocks....was wondering if anyone has one on theirs and how well it works? Is anyone better then the other.......also see they offer folding recoil absorbing stocks (Mako anyway)........was wonder how the folding stock works? Can the weapon be fired while folded or is it just for taking up less room while being transported?

Last edited by soundhd; January 7, 2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:07 AM   #2
trlrnr

I would check out Mesa Tactical. expensive but they seem to be making the highest quality stocks. they also make a recoil reducing system
Old January 11, 2011, 11:37 PM   #3
webbee

I have shot most of Knox's line on both Mossberg and Remington 12ga and they really work. Think shooting a 12ga pistol grip one handed with slugs all afternoon with no hand pain. The only Knox one I haven't shot is the standard Hogue stock with the reducer built in to the butt. I think they make an excellant product. I don't have any experiance with the other manufactures mentioned so can't give you a review.
Old January 12, 2011, 08:25 AM   #4
LinuxHack3r

I have the Mossberg Spec Ops recoil absorbing stock on my 500...it really really works and makes a difference. Shooting for target/fun/skeet, I can get two accurate shots for every one accurate shot my buddy with his 870 can get off. Well worth the money....never tried any of the higher end but I imagine that they're just as good or better.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old January 12, 2011, 09:00 AM   #5
TacticalDefense1911

I've also got a Blackhawk Knoxx SpecOps stock for my Rem 870 and the stock really absorbs the recoil very well, even with full power loads. For the money it is hard to beat.
Old January 12, 2011, 07:53 PM   #6
LinuxHack3r

Let me add that from what I can tell of Knoxx, their stuff is really well made.
Old January 12, 2011, 11:30 PM   #7
idek

I have the Knoxx Compstock on my Mossberg 500. This is the one that has the traditional shape and grip of usual hunting/sporting stocks. It definitely eats up a lot of recoil and is a significant improvement over adding a quality recoil pad. It makes follow shots faster and takes any pain out of extended shooting. I should note that it's heavier than the wooden factory stock that I replaced. That maybe be good, bad, or irrelevant depending on your purposes.