The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 25, 2006, 04:51 PM   #1
nefshooter

Bank Shooting On Tape

What do you guys think of this one good call or bad call by the guard?http://www.break.com/index/robberyontape.html
Old April 25, 2006, 05:13 PM   #2
NBT

Tough call with the other employee AND the mother AND baby in the line of fire. I can't even tell if the BG was even hit, looks like he managed to get out the door.

The baby is gonna have some ringing ears, this guy should have considered that as well before shooting. I don't see enough on the tape to rule that there was immediate danger by the BG, all you see is him running away getting shot at.
Old April 25, 2006, 05:15 PM   #3
18DAI

Quaterbacking from my armchair ,it looks like he didn't have a good angle on the BG ,and shot danger close to that woman and baby. But I wasn't there. Anyone know the outcome? Did he hit the BG? Come to think of it ,were the bystanders injured? Regards 18DAI.
Old April 25, 2006, 05:19 PM   #4
threegun

Old video. The guy scored three good hit of his three shots fired. The badguy survived. I won't second guess his decision to shoot I will second guess his making of the video.
Old April 25, 2006, 05:26 PM   #5
Topthis

I think this was posted last week or the week before. Can't stand the stupid music...
Old April 25, 2006, 05:33 PM   #6
MDW Guns

With the mother with a baby on her arm I would have not taken the risk unless there was a very high risk for life.
Since we don't see this on the video, we can assume anything!
Check www.mdwguns.com for great deals!
Old April 25, 2006, 06:19 PM   #7
Maddog_Enigma

Was NOT a bank. That was a motel.
Old April 25, 2006, 06:36 PM   #8
marlboroman84

I saw this video a while back and I remember saying to my buddy that it seemed kinda risky the way the guy kept firing even after the BG ran that close to the mom and baby. The video's angle is kinda bad so it's hard to say, but it looked to me like the BG ran after the first shot. I don't think I'd still be shooting at someone running away unless they were going for another weapon or something. Luckily the baby didn't get hit, but that was just to close for my liking. Not saying he reacted badly, but he should have stopped firing after the first round or two.
Old April 25, 2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Steamboatsig

Apparently, the shooter/employee discussed the event in www.packing.org, but I can't find it. If you find it post a link.
Old April 25, 2006, 09:35 PM   #10
DWARREN123

Going behind the other employee to draw and shooting past the woman with child in arms seems dangerous to them to me, but I don't know all the info or if someone was in immediate danger.
Old April 25, 2006, 09:43 PM   #11
pickpocket

The shooter had posted on another forum stating that the camera makes the angle look a lot worse than it was in real life. He also stated that the mother had written him a letter expressing her thanks at trying to protect her and her baby.

With that said - whoever made that video is an idiot, whether it be the shooter or not. Also, in hindsight, had BG decided to shoot back - especially while running away - everyone in that room would have been in danger.

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old April 25, 2006, 10:35 PM   #12
Derius_T

Looks like a standard bank camera that is normally above each teller station to me. Doesn't look like a 'person' taped it. As for the shot, hard to say from the limited video, and no other angles. It did look awfully close to the woman and child though....
Old April 25, 2006, 11:16 PM   #13
chrisandclauida2

he did right and wrong. the excellent tactical move was concealing his draw behind the rotund teller lady. once he drew he fracked the pooch royally. he had a case of major tunnel vision. if the mother wasn't alert or if she froze he would have shot her baby and probably her.

this could have gone terribly gone and while the perp would be charged for felony murder the teller could have a manslaughter charge if he hit baby or mom.

as for shooting while the guy is running away he is ok on that provided the guy had or said he had a weapon. as long as that guy is in the building he is a threat and to keep hooting while reckless wasn't illegal. i wonder if he hit the bad guy and how many cars he hit out side.

like i said in another thread we aren't to judge those in situations but we are to pick them apart and learn.

so what did we learn,
1 excellent tactical draw concealing the motion and not getting killed cause the bad guy saw his draw.

2 watch that tunnel vision and who is in the room and where they move. you have to pay as much attention to the innocents as the bad guy.

3 dont rob that bank or you will get a hole or two /
Old April 25, 2006, 11:27 PM   #14
BamaXD

As far as I can tell, and I am no cop, he did everything correctly, except of course getting a little too close to the mother and child, but what I would like to know is what words were exchanged or what the original sound was to the video, that music is crap and overdramatized. I would just like to know if anything was said. -BamaXD
Old April 25, 2006, 11:36 PM   #15
oldbillthundercheif

Yikes! I guess he must have thought the robber was about to shoot someone. Either that or he had already made up his mind to shoot him and went all-out when he saw an opportunity. Seeing the whole video with the origional audio (if any) would give you a better idea what happened. Anybody got a link to the uncut footage?
Old April 26, 2006, 12:23 AM   #16
Trip20

That's something I've wondered about from time to time. Do you take your chances that the scum bag will leave with out violence once he/she gets the loot, or do you take the first opportunity to tip the scales in your favor?

Tough question.
Old April 26, 2006, 12:39 AM   #17
westphoenix

More to read:

Original edited video: http://f7.putfile.com/videos/d3-6314135890.wmv

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=2737

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=443057&page=1
Old April 26, 2006, 01:12 AM   #18
Yoshi

From what i can see in the vid, if that had been my wife and kid , that guard better shoot me or start running.
Old April 26, 2006, 05:40 AM   #19
threegun

Some more info that might explain why this clerk took action despite the innocents nearby. Apparently the robber was a disgruntled hotel guest who threatened to kill the clerk prior to holding the place up. Also the robber fell outside the door and was arrested. The clerk clearly advances to the door gun at the ready but the bad guy was done.
Old April 26, 2006, 08:53 AM   #20
wun_8_seven

he wasn't a guard, he is a clerk. the woman with the child was 3-4' to his left. the police, DA, and people present said he did a good job.
Old April 26, 2006, 09:00 AM   #21
kentak

Why do some criticize making the video? It was a surveillance camera. I don't know how it got on the web. I doubt it was the shooter's decision, but maybe.

It was a motel. The shooter was an NRA instructor.

I won't judge him because I wasn't in the situation, but it looks like all three shots are with the BG retreating. Not the best decision IF you are in a gun-phobic locality.

K
Old April 26, 2006, 09:13 AM   #22
pickpocket

Quote:
Why do some criticize making the video?
You're joking, right?

Yes, it's a standard security camera - however I highly doubt that the surveillance company added the music for aesthetic resons...
Using your own "gun-phobic locality" logic against you - how well do you think that video would help the guy in civil court? There are only so many people that would have had access to that surveillance footage, and putting it on the internet was most irresponsible, period. Even if the shooter didn't do it, it still reflects poorly on him..

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old April 26, 2006, 09:23 AM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

This one was discussed in another closed thread with the typical paradigmatic debate about cowardly caution vs. reckless heroics.

One can look for it.
Old April 26, 2006, 09:39 AM   #24
chrisandclauida2

after some investigating and some correcting i found this is a hotel/motel desk. i was also told that this wasn't tunnel vision but that the 2 d nature of the camera didn't properly show that the mom and baby were actually a couple to a few feet to the clerks left.

i am happy to see his level head ness in drawing concealed then engaging. my only concern was possible tunnel vision. i only mention this not for a put down but so the rest of us can learn. none of us are trying to screw this guy were picking it apart to learn and be better trained and more prepared.

no tunnel vision and i learned he supposedly connected on 3 of the rounds fired. that would be exceptional under stress marksmanship and much better than the norm in like situations.
Old April 26, 2006, 10:04 AM   #25
westphoenix

In the links I provided above it provides you many answers to the questions you guys have asked.
The shooter on the tape did add the music to the video and included a picture of himself holding a gun at the end of the "original" I posted above.