The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 12, 2012, 11:57 PM   #26
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfloBill View Post
I have seen people try to make a tactical gun out of lever actions and I have seen threads based on that, but I brought it up because it was featured in this month's American Rifleman and I haven't seen a company offer one like that before.
Are you suggesting that the Editors of a major publication have been living under a rock too? Because they seem to think its worth talking about.
I don't know about a rock, but that mossberg has been posted several times and is not a brand new product. It has been around at least a year or so. Also fun magazines do stories like this as to satisfy their advertisers. American Rifleman did this story to satisfy Mossberg
Old December 13, 2012, 12:02 AM   #27
Deja vu

I like it and I am a lever action fan. I care way more about how it functions and shoots than how it looks.

If it runs and shoots well I dont care if its painted pink with hello kitty painted on it.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...

Last edited by Deja vu; December 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:03 AM   #28
stu925

I'm with boattale, I'm not into tactical anything. There's no room in my collection for an ugly gun so this one will stay right at the LGS. Doesn't bother me that Mossberg is building them and I hope they sell a bunch, more gun owners is always a good thing for us and if that rifle is what it takes to get someone interested in shooting then so be it. Personally I wouldn't have one as a gift but I'm sure someone out there likes them.

Stu
Old December 13, 2012, 12:11 AM   #29
tuck2

I have two Savage 99s and two Winchester 94s. I dont give a hoot what Mossberg makes--
Old December 13, 2012, 02:33 AM   #30
lefteyedom

It looks like a prop from the Movie "Cowboys and Aliens"
Old December 13, 2012, 07:20 AM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

Never underestimate the desire some people have to buy black "tactical" crap, especially if it has a collapsible stock and a rail for bolt on pieces of schmidt.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:15 AM   #32
Strafer Gott

Utility is wonderful.

Seriously guys, are we getting cranky and old or what? It's a lever gun, and if that's what it takes to get to the future, I'm all for it. If guns stopped morphing, where would we be? These guns don't have to be just tools, but when they are, their beauty is in their utility. Something like this can roll in the mud, slide down the mountain, jump the barb wire, shoot the pig, get thrown in the back of the truck, and ride home with the hunting dogs without loosing even a modicum of esthetic appeal. This rifle probably looks better with mud and scratches. That's the kind of beauty that goes deeper than skin.
By the way, there's still wood on this rifle. It's on the fore end, under the black paint and tacked on rails.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:25 AM   #33
Stressfire

Saw this in the recent American Rifleman.

While a touch horrifying to traditionalists (I agree), I'm sure there's a market for it
Old December 13, 2012, 09:53 AM   #34
coyota1

Quote:
Seriously guys, are we getting cranky and old or what? It's a lever gun, and if that's what it takes to get to the future, I'm all for it. If guns stopped morphing, where would we be?
If guns stopped morphing, we'd be in a better place. Truth is, they haven't changed much since their conception. Mechanically the lever gun hasn't made any real mile stone changes for well over 100 years. They can make plastic stocks for almost nothing, and then market them as being superior to wood.
Old December 13, 2012, 01:22 PM   #35
JimDandy

Depends on what you consider part of the lever action, and milestone changes. I think the leverrevolution ammunition isn't anything to scoff at.
Old December 13, 2012, 05:08 PM   #36
mj246

Well I do kind of consider myself a "traditionalist" with firearms. I only own one semi-auto action right now and it's a 22 rifle with wood stock (the rest are DA revolvers and a Mosin 91/30, although I am getting an sks soon, which is still not "cutting edge" by any stretch of the imagination).

I had heard of this before but forgot exactly what it looks like. I closed the page from the link in the OP almost as soon as it finished loading. I do understand the uses for more tactical and "modern" rifles even though I prefer more vintage styles, but I can't wrap my head around why someone would want to do this to a perfectly good lever action. The draws of the lever action today are the ease of use, durability of action, and TRADITIONAL STYLING. If you want something tactical with lights, lasers, and and maybe a grenade launcher for the apocalypse, or a gang trying to infiltrate your house, or whatever, just get a modern tactical rifle like AR, AK, SCAR, etc. NOT a "tactical" lever action with an ugly synthetic telescoping stock.

Obviously just my very strong opinion (and BTW I am only 25, not old. Although maybe a cranky)
Old December 13, 2012, 05:14 PM   #37
1stmar

Tahunua001, there are 44mag levers, tube feed or not 44mag would work better IMO. It's a self defense gun, why are you comparing it military weapons?
Old December 13, 2012, 05:34 PM   #38
coyota1

Quote:
If you want something tactical with lights, lasers, and and maybe a grenade launcher for the apocalypse, or a gang trying to infiltrate your house, or whatever, just get a modern tactical rifle like AR, AK, SCAR, etc. NOT a "tactical" lever action with an ugly synthetic telescoping stock
Or you could defend yourself from an infiltrating gang just as easy with a Henry.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:20 PM   #39
scrubcedar

Ok I looked at that abomination a couple more times and had a night to sleep on it. It's still so ugly that even my Mother In Law looks good. However, I think about my non-gun person wife, who is very short and a concept starts percolating in my head. Wrong caliber, but change it to .357 or .44 Magnum and it starts to make real sense a a HD gun for her. Adjust the stock to the right length of pull. Start her out on .38 or.44 special rounds. Nearly no recoil, very little muzzle blast. A cocking mechanism thats easy to learn to shoot while keeping the gun at your shoulder and the sights on the target. Fit it with a laser for low light, and I'd be happy(shudder)to have the monstrosity around. In the Car business this concept is known as "there's a butt for every seat", meaning, no matter how weird the car, someone out there is bound to like it.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:22 PM   #40
Tennessee Jed

On some levels, I think this rifle could make sense. I've been looking at lever action carbines in 357, 44 or 45 Colt for a while. The options for a new lever action in those calibers appear to be either a Rossi (which appears to be hit or miss for quality control), a Marlin (same story), or an expensive Japanese or Italian made clone of an 1892, 1873 or 1866 Winchester (and I don't want to spend that much on a working rifle).

Yes, it looks like a mall ninja's dream, and that is NOT my thing. But as far as I know, it's the only option for a new 30-30 carbine with a 16" barrel (which is my second choice if I can't find a pistol caliber lever carbine that I think will be reliable).

For me and what I want (reliable, rugged, easy to store lever action carbine with a 16" barrel), I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat if it was in a pistol caliber. I'm still considering one in 30-30. I'd definitely get one if a replacement fixed stock was available.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:12 PM   #41
PatientWolf

You could always tie some fish line to the rail and it would keep your duck decoys from being blown away by the wind.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:55 PM   #42
Guv

Hard times for some of us older guys, diesels at the drag strip, lots and lots of plastic framed pistols, tactical lever gun, most scopes are matte finished and you can't buy a new model 19 Smith or a reasonably priced regular model 94 Win. Memories!
Old December 13, 2012, 09:02 PM   #43
coyota1

Oh come on Guv, my newest rifle is 35 years old. That's new in gun years. Just go to a gun show and you will find what you want. When you find it hang on to it, cause it will out live you. I think it's hard times for younger guys that can't appreciate walnut.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:01 PM   #44
mj246

Quote:
Or you could defend yourself from an infiltrating gang just as easy with a Henry
--coyota1
That was pretty much my point. Not only is this rifle FUGLY to the extreme, but there is nearly no reason I can think of for it. If you want a lever action, a regular Marlin or Winchester etc will do everything this could reasonably do with a little practice and buying the right rifle to fit your needs. If you want a black plastic tactical rifle, the common suspects will serve you just as well as a levergun.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:02 PM   #45
4V50 Gary
Staff

I saw an image of it in The American Rifleman. They couldn't have made a lever action any uglier.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:24 AM   #46
Hawg

That thing would make a train take a dirt road.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:08 AM   #47
Tinner666

It is butt-ugly. But, what do I know? I thought the M-16 was ugly. Glock too for that matter.
Now, I carry Glocks, and I'm getting used to the AR's. Only took 20+ years for them to start growing on me.

Now, a M1-A, formerly the M-14 is a beauty and that will never change. Same for my Mini-14.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:38 AM   #48
Guv

Coyote1,
I agree with you, I have some gun mags from the 60's and what a collection of beautiful guns! Quite a few I wish I still had!
Old December 14, 2012, 10:36 AM   #49
Strafer Gott

Gun Fashion Cops?

No doubt this rifle is designed for people who play harder than old pharts. I mean, do you take your barbecue gun hawgin'? I doubt it. Runnin' and gunnin' with a .30-.30 sounds like deer season to me. Black guns are for people who need it as a gun, not a work of art. Black guns are for those who are focused on the pursuit, not on the esthetic appeal of what's filling their hand. Are you a hunter or a fashion model? All the tacticool bashers love to call anyone with a black gun a mall ninja. Here's one from the other side.
You guys with the grain and lacquer, are you hunters or posers? Is it like Robin Williams said, "When I go into the woods, I like to make a statement!"
Old December 14, 2012, 10:59 AM   #50
coyota1

Strafer Gott, you are bashing guys that have more experience than you, show some respect. If you need a "black gun" so you don't risk breaking it, then you need to rethink your methods. If you think there is no art to how a gun is made or designed, then you have the taste of a lizard.