The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 5, 2009, 07:32 PM   #1
milpas

Trailboss and 50-70 load request

Is there anyone currently loading 50-70 with Trailboss who can give me a good starting load.
The IMR site lists a 45-70 load which I use but none the 50-70. I have 450gr bullets.

I'm using a Sharps with a 35" barrel and a M1870 Rolling Block.
Old July 6, 2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Milpas,

Welcome to the forum.

Your on the path to uncommon knowledge, I'm afraid. Generally speaking, looking at Hodgdon's online loads for other big low pressure rounds, I believe you can fill the volume of the case that is below the bullet base about 70% full with that powder (no compression), but I would not just take my word for that with older, weaker actions. Call Hodgdon and see if they think that's OK to do in that particular round?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; July 6, 2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old July 7, 2009, 03:44 AM   #3
kiwi56

50-70

In my case I would probably stick with black powder. I have a Pedersoli Rolling Block in 50-140 otherwise known as 3 1/4 inch Sharps and to be quite honest even though it is a modern replica I would not feel comfortable about putting such a relatively small charge of smokeless powder in such a large case with out using some form of filler material, besides blackpowder is more fun to shoot and you may find you get better accuracy with it. You just spend more time cleaning up.
Old July 7, 2009, 03:56 AM   #4
Sport45

Quote:
Call Hodgdon and see if they think that's OK to do in that particular round?
I agree with Unclenick here. Shoot an email off to Hodgdon and see what they have to say. I've been pleasantly surprised with the amount of load data they have that is not published online or in their printed manuals.
Old July 7, 2009, 05:47 AM   #5
hornet41

Check out 5744. Great powder for those big 'ol cases.
I use it in my 45-110. Works great! Don't have to worry about case filling volume either!!
Old July 7, 2009, 05:48 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

If a TB load in .50-70 matches the loading density achieved in other large-bore formerly black powder cartridges, I can't think of a single reason why you'd need a filler material.

Some of the .45-70 TB loads hit between 80 and 90 per cent loading density, which is FAR more than what is achieved with most smokeless powder loads, and the .45-70 is an exceptional performer with low density smokeless loads, even loads that don't have fillers to position the powder.

A filler also isn't needed, as it might be with black powder, to reduce the amount of air space. TB is a smokeless powder and must always be treated as a smokeless powder. Attempting to treat it like black powder, especially compressing it heavily to the point where the donuts start to break, is a big no no.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 7, 2009, 04:14 PM   #7
milpas

I have emailed Hodgdon requesting information.

Re filler. I read somewhere a reply from Hodgdon re filler and Trail Boss which was a decided "DON'T DO IT".

Thanks for everybody's help.