The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 23, 2012, 04:33 PM   #1
SIGSHR

Use of movie and TV guns in CAS?

Are the various movie and TV guns-Mare's Leg, large loop rifle, Buntline Special, Johnny Yuma scattergun allowed in CAS?
Old September 23, 2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Zekest Crowe

The guns allowed in CAS, which is governed by SASS (Wild Bunch) are listed on the SASS web page.

The Mare's Leg is prohibited because it is NOT a rifle, and it is NOT a pistol.

Large loop rifle, yep, no advantage to having a large loop; it makes cycling the lever gun a PITA and slow.

Buntline?! How the hell would you quick draw that from your holster?! All pistols are holstered with the hammer down on an empty chamber.
Old September 23, 2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Hawg

The mare's leg won't work as a rifle but might as a pistol in a local club. I don't think they would allow it in a sanctioned match and the shotgun would have to have a full stock. The large loop is ok and the buntline is ok but the buntline would prove to be very inefficient, especially if you wanted to shoot double duelist or gunfighter.
Old September 25, 2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Fingers McGee

The Johnny Yuma scatergun (Sawed off shotgun) is a destructive device and is illegal to own unless properly registered with ATF.

It is not legal to use in SASS matches.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 25, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
The Johnny Yuma scatergun (Sawed off shotgun) is a destructive device and is illegal to own unless properly registered with ATF.
I was thinking muzzle loader.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

Photo still I've seen it looks like a sawed off 1882 or 1889 Remington 12 ga. Not exactly period correct to the show.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 25, 2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Hawg

Been years since I've seen it.
Old September 25, 2012, 10:44 PM   #8
SIGSHR

Sarco had one of the Johnny Yuma scatterguns a few years ago, IIRC they emphasized it was a Class III firearm. "Not exactly period correct to the show." What do you expect from Hollyweird?