The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 5, 2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Nanook of the north

Mauser scope mount

I have a k98 Mauser that was refinished at one time and I would like to drill and tap it for scope mounts. If I were to put Weaver high scope rings on it would I need to modify the bolt at all? thanks
Old December 6, 2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Elkins45

Those would have to be REALLY high scope mounts to clear the bolt...so high that you would probably have to lift your head off the stock to look through the scope.

If you have the skill to drill and tap for scope mounts then you probably also have the skill to drill and tap the bolt for one of these bolt kits. http://centerfiresystems.com/mntmauhdl.aspx

A little free advice: when you decide to drill and tap for a scope mount, buy a one-piece mount. That way the hole spacing is automatically correct.
Old December 7, 2011, 09:55 AM   #3
meatgrinder42

More than likely yes, you'll need to modify the bolt. If you don't feel comfortable with modifying the bolt you can always make it a scout rifle with the LER scope. The mount replaces the rear sight and they're quite nice actually, as an alternative idea. You may also need to change the safety too depending on your mounts and scope.

If you have the mounts and base, tape 'em to the rifle and work the action. Or figure out how high they'll sit with the base, mock up the scope or a piece of tube and see how it all lines up.
Old December 7, 2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Elkins45

Here's some of the smartest advice on installing scopes on Mauser's I've ever seen. http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/turk/turkscope.html

This guy's whole site is really good. He has a novel no-weld way of installing low scope bolt handles that is very clever.

Tags
8mm , k98 , mauser , weaver