The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 14, 2006, 02:20 AM   #1
nunoste

Lots of lessons in the video...sound off

I just ran into this video.

http://www.yikers.com/video_hillbill...d_on_them.html

I am not 100% on its authenticity, but its nonetheless a good lesson. A couple of bullies drive behind a guy and his girlfriend and harrass them. The guy in the BMW is clearly not intimidated, which in my estimation would usually be enough to scare the bullies away. (Which makes me question the authenticity). But the bullies don't look too bright either, so they follow the guy to a dead end. When they stop, one bully goes to the back of his truck and fishes out a bat and the other bully is filming the whole thing. When the bully walks up to the man in the BMW he is armed and points the gun at the guy with the bat. The two bullies magically turn into bunny rabbits. The guys girlfriend takes the camera and films the two bullies and they drive off with the video camera and the keys to the bully's truck.

No gore, no violence. I would like to get some comments and lessons learned here. For me, I travel with an unloaded levergun in my trunk. In this scenario, I'm not too sure I would have enough time to run to the back and load a round and then defend myself, while loading more rounds, talking to the bullies, etc. I guess I would try to get as much distance from the guys and then once I saw it was a dead end, I would turn the car around and point the trunk of the car towards the dead end, so I could go back to the trunk and have some cover. It would also buy me some time. The way my trunk is set up, I can have access to my rifle and have a round in the pipe within 15 seconds. Looking at this video, I'm not sure 15 seconds is fast enough. Plus, I would probably be with my family, so that would complicate things. Overall, I think I'd try calling 911 on my cell phone before it got to that, but by the looks of the video, its possible they couldn't get cell service. I just drove across the country and there are large pockets of space where we couldnt get any cell service.

This guy kinda looks LEO or seems to have had some training. He is talking to and pointing the gun at the main threat, while scanning the other guy. He orders the guy to put the camera down and step away. He is pretty calm, too. However, I think he allows the guy with the bat to get too close to him initially, although he regains ground. Overall, I think this guy did a great job protecting himself and his girlfriend.

If it were up to me, I'd do what this guy did and travel with a firearm in the glovebox or on my hip for just these scenarios. However, I live in California, and this state isn't too keen on my protecting myself.
Old August 14, 2006, 10:43 AM   #2
joshs21

The Toby Keith blaring on the pickup's radio set a nice tone. But I agree the guy handled it real well, it either seemed staged, or the guy had gone through the scenario a thousand times in his head.
Old August 14, 2006, 03:48 PM   #3
mgdavis

Handling it well would have involved a call to 911, or a drive to the nearest police station. Handling it well would not have included giving the other guy the finger repeatedly, thereby escalating the situation. Handling it well would be staying on arterial roads, around witnesses, rather than getting out of the BMWs' element (pavement) and into the trucks' (dirt).

If it had been me, and I wound up trapped like that with an individual approaching with a weapon, there would have been shots fired by the time he got that close.

Taking the camera was good, but it should have been turned over to law enforcement as evidence, not kept as a "birthday present".

The situation could probably have been defused at several points. The BMW driver screwed up to be at a point where drawing his weapon was nessesary.
Old August 14, 2006, 04:04 PM   #4
Dreadnought

Some days I really wonder if shyte is gonna happen like that because I drive a little foreign car and might have committed a traffic faux pas (or not).
Douches got what was coming to them. The guy should not have said "next time you'll get shot" because that is premeditation. If he were in his hometown, he should have just driven to local police HQ. and I think a Bimmer z4 can definitely outrun a toyota pickup.
Old August 14, 2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Shaun

i think this was filmed/staged in canada, i loved the accents, eh
Colt Cobra .38 Spl; Smith & Wesson M10 4"; Colt Detective Special; Ruger Security Six 6"; H&K USPc 40S&W; Smith & Wesson 686P 4"; Kimber Eclipse Pro II; Smith & Wesson M29 6.5"; 3-Screw Ruger Super Blackhawk; Glock 17
Old August 14, 2006, 04:09 PM   #6
jcoiii

either way, phone 911, drive toward police station, get description of vehicle and car

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old August 14, 2006, 04:12 PM   #7
Geech

It almost seems like he intentionally forced a confrontation to get those guys to stop following him. It may not have been a good choice, but it was nice to see the tables turned on those guys.
Old August 14, 2006, 04:42 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't get a chance to follow the link earlier today. I just did, and while the material is interesting, the foul language isn't suitable for TFL.

A reminder on TFL Rule #2:

Quote:
2) Language that would be inappropriate in the polite company of strangers is quite unwelcome here.
This also applies to language on other sites linked here. For you newbies, if you want to post a link, don't post it here if you wouldn't want your own mother to see it.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread