The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 31, 2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Dangerwing

Chiappa M9 clone

Chiappa's website says they make a 9mm clone of the Beretta M9. I can find a lot of info about the .22 M9 clone, but nothing on the 9mm version. Anyone know anything about this? Specifically, will my stock pile of 92fs mags work in the Chiappa version?

Thanks

PS: Here is the link to the Chiappa webpage regarding the 9mm version

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/2625

Only faithful men teach their wives to shoot.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:52 AM   #2
qwiksdraw

Chiappa doesn't make a 9MM clone of the Barretta M9, just the 22 version (like they also do in the 1911 22LR pistols):

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/126

Beacuse of that, I am sure the mags are not interchangeable between the guns.

If your question is about Barretta's guns, here is their full size line up:

http://www.berettausa.com/shop-by-de...uns/full-size/

This may help you some:
http://youtu.be/YREreLOlrg4
Old January 31, 2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Dangerwing

Qwiksdraw that's what I thought too, but how do you explain the link I posted above? It clearly says 9mm in almost half a dozen spots. And the model is labeled "m9" not "m9 22" like the 22 cal versions

Old January 31, 2013, 12:08 PM   #4
TheNocturnus

Wow, it does look like an exact copy. I'd like to get my hands on it to see how it feels and compares to a real M9.

I had one of their 1911-22's and it was fun as heck to shoot.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 31, 2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Is it perhaps one of the Turkish 92 clones with different branding?
Old January 31, 2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Microgunner

I just checked with our wholesalers and indeed they are listing a Beretta M9 clone in 9mm.
They are listed as a new iten but no one had any in stock.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:00 PM   #7
jon_in_wv

Yeah its pretty obvious there is indeed a 9mm version. I think someone was a little qwik on the draw to correct you. I would be interested in know if they take the Beretta mags also. The only problem is I carried a Beretta M9 in the Marine Corps. A copy just might not feel right to me.
Old February 2, 2013, 02:04 PM   #8
qwiksdraw

Yea, it looks like I was incorrect. No intent to mislead.

You should call Chiappa customer service, they can answer you mag question. I have found them very friendly and helpful. You may have to leave a voicemail message, but they will call back.

Anyway, if you find one and buy it then I for one would be interested in a range report!

Last edited by qwiksdraw; February 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old February 3, 2013, 03:25 AM   #9
Dangerwing

No harm no foul Qwiks. Had I not just seen the 9mm version on the website, I would have said the same thing. Seems recently that everything that has a barrel and goes bang is back ordered or otherwise unavailable, but if I can get my hands on one of these little guys I will be sure to post a range report.

Old April 20, 2014, 09:25 PM   #10
azrednek

"Is it perhaps one of the Turkish 92 clones with different branding?"

These were previously imported by ATI and sold at a considerably lower price I might add. Online prices to a FFL were apx 300. They are an exact clone with all parts being interchangeable with Italian made Berettas. Can't say as I haven't been able to do a side by side comparison but presume all parts interchange with USA manufactured as well.

Sources have claimed the Italian Berettas were assembled in Italy with Turkish made parts. A dispute ending with a bad relationship between Beretta and the Turk manufacture is the reason the Turks have continued to market the M9. Also as some sources have claimed. The Turks had most the tooling and machinery in place.

The exceptions or differences between the Turk and Italian M9's are nearly insignificant. Beretta Italian manufactured M9's were assembled with Turk made parts, specifically frames, slides and most if not all all internal parts except barrels and springs. Beretta felt the Turk springs were not up to the same quality as Beretta. The same sources claim Italian Beretta was outsourcing spring manufacture but was not sure whom. Beretta manufactured barrels, both USA and Italy are chrome lined, Turk barrels are not.

The other difference actually gives the advantage to the Turks at least in my mind. The recoil spring guide in an Italian (and USA) are now plastic even though they prefer to describe the part as "high grade polymer". The Turks at least while they were imported by ATI were made of metal. The ATI followers are magnetic so obviously are of steel or iron construction.

Not certain for the reason of the end of the relationship between the Turks and ATI. I do know ATI wanted to continue but the rumor mill says the Turks felt ATI did a dismal job marketing it.