The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 2002, 09:46 AM   #1
mikeinfwa

how to remove Hornady "one Shot" lube from brass?

I sprayed some virgin .308 brass with lube. Both inside and out of case before neck sizing with Lee collet die.

The problem is my velocities are unreliable now with the lube residue inside the case.

I tried tumbling for hours but now the cases have corn cob media stuck inside.

Is there something I can wash the cases with to remove the spray lube from the inside?

thanks,

mike
Old November 25, 2002, 11:23 AM   #2
mikeinfwa

Well,

I found the fix.

I called hornady. They said to soak the cases in denatured alcohol.

mike
Old November 25, 2002, 01:52 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I hope they also suggested not spraying it inside the cases. If the necks need a little lube, motor mica on a brush is the way to go.
Old November 25, 2002, 06:34 PM   #4
saands

With the Lee Collet die, I don't use ANY lube at all ... I think that the pilot is non-tapered (I'm not 100%sure about this), and if it is then after the brass expands out how ever many ten-thousandths when you let the pressure off of it, there is no sliding going on at all. That's the whole beauty of these dies!

Saands
Old November 26, 2002, 02:22 PM   #5
Derm95

I was case forming some new 7.55X55 Swiss with One Shot and used a little bit inside the neck by using a barrel mop. After I trimmed the cases I used corn cob with polish and was happy with the results.
Did the Hornady rep say that case polishing with corn cob wasn't adequate?
Old November 26, 2002, 03:18 PM   #6
mikeinfwa

I didnt ask about the corn cob treatment because I tumbled them for hours and still had corn cob stuck inside the cases. (I sprayed more than a little).

mike
Old November 30, 2002, 08:25 PM   #7
fnbrowning

mikeinfwa;

Here is how I process my fired .308 brass.
(1) Tumble in corncob media that is mildly impregnated with "Brasso" metal polish.
(2) Remove brass and shake media loose.
(3) Spray with the same Hornady lube you use, several light coats from 3 directions, including the case mouth.
(a) I use Lee Dies also, and my aim is to reduce wear on the die and eliminate drag on the case mouth that could elongate the brass.
(4) Run the lubbed cases through my resizing die.
(5) Wash the cases in Hot water with a small amount of industrial detergent added. Rinse in cold water.
(a) I've experimented in adding a small amount of vinegar to the wash, and it can boost the detergent and really give the brass a nice sheen!
(6) Spread out on an old towel in the basement or garage for several days.

Now I know step #6 causes there to be a drying period, but I processed a sufficient amount of brass years ago in the first run, and stored it away. That way I'm never in a hurry for any brass, & the drying time is of no consenquence.