The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2002, 11:59 PM   #1
Ed Dixon

What's "+P"?

I see this often in reference to .38 specials. Is it just a hotter load? Is it used regarding other calibers? How long's this designation been around? What cautions apply?
Old September 19, 2002, 12:12 AM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

+P means "extra pressure" over standard loading. It does not necessarily wquate to higher velocity.

I dunno when it came into vogue - probablly a marketing hype not too long after Lee Juras' SuperVels ...

I've some 9mm +Ps.

Some of the lightweight alloy firearms shouldn't be fed at all, some OK but not a steady diet. Manual should say what, if any restrictions.
Old September 19, 2002, 12:15 AM   #3

I won't be able to give you a technical answer but it means high for the caliber presure. This usually translates to higher velocity. Obviously +P ammo should only be fired in a gun with the strength to handle it. For example it is a general rule that K-Framed S&W revolvers can't take a steady diet of +P ammo, you need to move up to an L frame or possibly even an N frame if you intend to shoot a whole lot of +P ammo. Most guns of modern manufacture arn't going to come apart from shooting +P ammo, it is just going to accellerate the wear on the gun.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old September 19, 2002, 03:24 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Bear in mind that +P denotes PEAK pressure up to 10 percent above SAAMI specs for that cartridge.

And +P+ (not a SAAMI term) denotes an indeterminate higher PEAK pressure.

Neither +P nor +P+ have any direct bearing on bullet energy or performance.

Easy to have a bullet and case combo that gives poor bullet performance at extremely high PEAK pressure with one powder and outstanding performance at standard PEAK pressure with a different powder.

+P and +P+ are indicators of how much stress is placed on the gun, they are NOT indicators of how hard the bullet is being pushed.

Shop your ammo by performance. Velocity, wt, expansion, accuracy, consistancy etc.

Sam
Old September 19, 2002, 10:20 PM   #5
Ed Dixon

Okay, then are they ever the better performer? I'm getting the impression that if so, not often, and if that's the case what's the allure? Is this more macho than ballistic?
Old September 20, 2002, 04:36 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

VELOCITY MATTERS

"+P" and "+P+" are often attached to ammo that actually does go faster, but as C.R.Sam mentioned, not always.

Regular SAAMI pressures are based on lowest-common-denominator guns.
Some modern guns MAY be slightly stronger than those used to set SAAMI safe pressures.

More important; can you hit what you intend? Consistently? With sufficient power?

Macho is not part of the equation.............
Old September 20, 2002, 11:05 AM   #7

You bring up a very good point that I had never really considered before; probably because I am a handloader and thanks to manuals have a pretty good idea of what pressure and velocity I am going to get from a given load. You can look at a loading manual and find loads that give greater velocity with less pressure and simply buy that powder and go to town. But why, would someone load a higher pressure load, if it doesn't give you increased performance ? I don't know, but I can guess. I would appreciate some of our more savy members to educate the rest of us on the correct answer. My guess is that factory ammo is loaded with "cannister powder". As I understand it, these powders are purchased in huge volume as a cost cutting measure and loads might be worked up for several different calibers using the same powder. So as a handloader, I might choose a given powder for a given application. Where a factory makes a powder fit their application whether it is the best powder for the job or not. This may be all wrong and I freely admit this was just something I dreamed up.
Old September 20, 2002, 11:26 AM   #8
DAVID NANCARROW

444, I think you're on to something there. Take a look at Lyman's 47th, and you will frequently see factory equivalent loads which are almost never the top loads in velocity or pressure.
It appears that ammo manufacturers will frequently select a powder which meets a decent velocity standard and wisely a pretty good safety margin.
Not really a bad place to be, and of course, they would not go to the trouble a dedicated handloader goes through because few would want to pay the price increase.
Factory ammo is much better than it used to be, but they will not compete with a dedicated handloader on a round for round accuracy basis.
Old September 20, 2002, 11:40 AM   #9

As far as accuracy, I personally would think that factory ammo is great. But if you want max velocity, you pretty much need to either handload, or buy ammo from a custom or semi-custom shop.