The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 4, 2012, 04:58 PM   #1
alex0535

The first open-source 3D-printed gun

For those not familiar with what 3D printing is, it is a lot what it sounds like. A digital copy of an object is created, and it is printed out on a printer that prints in 3 dimensions, and instead of using ink to print, the medium is usually a plastic.

These people basically downloaded the digital copy of an AR-15 lower receiver made of plastic, mounted on an AR-57 upper which fires 5.7x28mm and tested it to destruction 6 shots later.

This is the website i found the story.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...3d-printed-gun

I can definitely already see the lawmakers and politicians practicing speeches in mirrors to make this sort of thing as illegal as murder.

I'm sure its going to stir up a lot of opinions. Personally i think they should have figured out how to make this work with .22LR because it probably would have gone longer than 6 shots.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:34 PM   #2
hardworker

I can't see how they'd ever get past using metal springs.