The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2005, 09:53 AM   #1
Cloudpeak

Reloading for 9mm, worth it or not?

I've been thinking about buying a full size (all steel) CZ75 in 9mm for steel target shooting. I have a Springfield XD40 Sub Compact now and I reload reduced loads with 175 cast bullets. I used 4.4 grains of Power Pistol behind this bullet and the load is pretty accurate and soft shooting. But, I think the short sight radius and lighter weight exact some penalties. I know the trigger isn't helping much. (A more honest answer probably is I just want another gun)

The 9mm is so soft shooting in an all steel gun and I imagine reduced loads would be even better. 9mm ammo is so cheap, though, I don't know if it makes sense to reload for this caliber. I bought a Hornady LNL progressive and am all set up to reload 40 S&W and am thinking I should stay with 40 cal for the new gun.

If I do decided to set up for reloading 9mm can I used cast bullets that are .358" in dia. (for .38 special) and size them down to .356" for the 9mm? This would give me more bullets to choose from including some heavier bullets for the steel plates.

Cloudpeak
Old October 31, 2005, 10:20 AM   #2
Russ5924

I reloaded 9MM for awhile and gave it up as a bad job.If I had more then one 9MM I would maybe go back to it.What I found is that with the very short barrel on my 9mm I just couldn't get a reload that was that accurate.If I went to different powder and used FMJ but don't feel I need the hassle reloading for five different calibers now.They do make .355 9MM in cast so why buy the .38
Old October 31, 2005, 11:29 AM   #3
Leftoverdj

Depends on your pistol, Cloud. I've loaded for half a dozen 9mms over the years. If a .358 cast bullet cartridge will drop freely into your chamber, it's safe to shoot and will give better accuracy than one sized .355. Cast bullets must be slightly oversized for accuracy, and 9mm barrels tend to run big. I have never had any luck at all with 9mm cast sized .355. Either .357 or .358 has always been the way to go. I have also always gotten best accuracy with heavy bullets driven slowly.

The economics of loading for 9mm depend on being able to use cast. If you must buy jacketed bullets, you are better off with cheap factory ammo. Lee Precision's surplus page is showing discontinued six cavity 356-153-2R blocks for $25. This is a superb bullet for your purposes. Typically, bullets drop from this mould at .357-.358 and need only tumble lubed before loading. I use Johnson's Paste Wax for this purpose, and my bullet costs are less than a penny each.
Old October 31, 2005, 11:40 AM   #4
model 25

Much as I love forty five I shoot more nines than I do any other center fire. Yep those full auto matches and the practice sends alot of rounds down range. Do I reload 9s? Sometimes, but I can buy 100 rounds of winchester white box target for $11.47. Just depends on what I need the 9mm rounds for and how much time I have.

Found a heck of a combination with a 115 grain jacketed bullet and 4756 that shoots real straight in most guns.

Old October 31, 2005, 12:17 PM   #5
Crosshair

If you use +P or +P+ then it is worth it. If you are using regular loads, the it is not worth it.
Old October 31, 2005, 01:42 PM   #6
hivel37

Having only one 9mm (for concealed carry) and since factories can be had so cheaply, I don't reload for it.

Besides, my thumbs have had too many trips through a table saw to handle those little bitty cases.
Old October 31, 2005, 02:12 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Load 9mm hardball for the savings?
No, and I am retired and have the dies and the time.

Load 9mm subsonic for low felt recoil and accuracy in my IDPA ESP gun?
Load 9mm JHP to high velocity for defense practice?
You bet.
Old October 31, 2005, 03:00 PM   #8
Brian Williams

I load 9mm to 38 spec pressures for practice in my S&W 9/642, an aluminum J frame. I do not want to wear it out with high pressure 9mm so I soft load my practice loads.
Old October 31, 2005, 04:30 PM   #9
Shooter 973

Reloading 9mm???

I reload 9mm just because I'm such a cheap old fart. With all the 9mm brass that is available for free, I just can't pass it up. I cast 120-125 gr bullets for 9mm, and with a charge of Bullseye, it cost almost less than shooting a 22. And I don't have to swing by Wally World to go shooting. I don't even like 9mm much but I do have several 9mm handguns just because it would be dumb not to have one, Or several, with the easy availability of the ammo. Some day it might pay to have the ability to reload 9mm.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old October 31, 2005, 07:15 PM   #10
Crosshair

I have a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]load of 9mm that I have picked up at the range. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it?
Old October 31, 2005, 08:30 PM   #11
Jeeper

I load it for really soft USPSA loads. 147gr Zeros are the cats meow when they are in front of 3.2gr of titegroup
Old October 31, 2005, 08:49 PM   #12
918v

I agree with Leftoverdj.

Leave those bullets .358", otherwise they will lead-up your barrel. It is not because the bore diameter is oversized, but the throat. If the throat is larger than the bullet, gas cutting will deposit lead ahead of the bullet with every shot. Soon you'll have a smoothbore.
Old October 31, 2005, 10:58 PM   #13
Slip Shooter

To me reloading for the 9mm is no longer worth it. Today, I picked up 12 boxes of Winchester 115 gr. white box at $4.86 per 50 box at Academy Sports. They were out, but also sell CCI Blazer 9mm for $3.86 per box of 50. These are their regular prices and as such are difficult get. I call regularly and have the sales person set aside for me what I need. They can't seem to keep 9mm in stock.

NRA Benefactor Member.
Old November 1, 2005, 10:10 PM   #14
Cloudpeak

Thanks, Guys!

Thanks for all the great replies. I printed this thread out for future reference just in case I buy a 9mm. It takes time to respond to questions and I appreciate all of the thought that went into your replies.

Speaking of 9mm, today I shot a friends' new Springfield 1911 "Custom Loaded" full size in 9mm. WOW! All of the sudden, the CZ isn't looking as good as it once did. On the other hand, a CZ is about half price. The Springfield is a really pretty gun. Beautiful checkered, wood grips on stainless steel. The sights barely moved off the target. This doesn't happen with my XD40 Sub Compact.

Thanks, again, for your help.

Cloudpeak
Old November 5, 2005, 08:57 PM   #15
maxwayne

I dearly love to reload, but not 9mm anymore. I can buy Blazer for $3.86 and I dont have to worry about the empties. I have a lot of reloaded 9mm on hand and will shoot it up one of these days. Maybe after I retire and have lots of time, I will reload 9 again, but I kind of doubt it.
Old November 7, 2005, 07:15 PM   #16
Weeg

I used to reload and shoot TONS of ammo through the SIGs I used to have...

Well worth it.

I had a pet training load with 115 FMJs ahead of (R.I.P.) Hercules Bullseye Powder...Burned clean, and was easy on the guns.

Old November 8, 2005, 02:25 PM   #17
Dave R

Its worth it for me. I don'tsae much over the cost of cheap commercial ammo, but I save some, and it shoots more accurately for me. And I enjoy it, anyway.
Old November 10, 2005, 01:38 AM   #18
Wrangler5

Maxwayne wrote, in part: I can buy Blazer for $3.86 and I dont have to worry about the empties.

Where can you find Blazer at this price? Midway wants over $6, and local sporting goods stores are always more than Midway. Is this a WallyWorld item?

Thanks for any info.
Old November 10, 2005, 01:56 AM   #19
BigSlick

It's worth it to me.

I rarely shoot 9mm ball ammo, and I have to force myself to plink down the cash for factory ammo.

I have a couple of loads worked up for 9mm that are accurate, easy on the gun, burns clean and is available 24/7 without a trip to Wally World or a wait on the brown truck.

Better ammo (by far) for about $2.50 a box

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old November 10, 2005, 02:36 PM   #20
Tacoma

IMHO, unless you need something specific , like a heavy/ unjacketed bullet, it's hard to justify. I can buy the white boxed 115gr 9's from Wally World for $10.50/100. It's hard to reload anything much cheaper than that.
Old November 10, 2005, 03:04 PM   #21
Crosshair

Looking at the price of 9mm +P+ I am going to try and reload it.
Old November 10, 2005, 03:19 PM   #22
Wrangler5

Well, around here White Box at WallyWorld is a bit over $11. If I reuse my cases I can reload 115g hardball for 1.5 (primer) + 3.7 (Rainier bullet) + 1.2 (powder), or 6.4 cents/round, $6.40/100. Add 0.5 - 1.0 cents/round for shipping the bullets (depends on what else I order) and I'm still under $7.50/100, a saving of about $3.50.

Shooting 200-300 rounds at a practice session for IDPA and it could be as much as a $10 saving per session. Not enough to buy the gas to get to the range but better than a sharp stick in the eye. I use a Lee Loadmaster (no snide remarks, please, it has worked well for me for 10+ years) so it doesn't take that long to crank out 300 rounds, and I enjoy the process. Especially now that my oldest kid has expressed an interest in starting IDPA shooting and so may start spending some quality time at the press with me. Priceless