The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 13, 2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Nick9130White

Shotgun shell with a M80 in it?

My buddy was telling me about a shotgun shell with a M80 or something in it, and farmers use it to clear ducks out of the brush, and i was wondering what those are called. Does anyone know?

Ps, sorry about all the questions i've been asking.
Old January 13, 2011, 12:54 AM   #2
Scattergun Bob

We called them Bird Bombs, an anti depervation device to drive off unwanted visitors from farm fields. Here is a web site for the devices, I am sure there are many more companies out there. http://www.pestpyro.com/

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old January 13, 2011, 01:45 AM   #3
the rifleer

Its a bird banger. Its not a shotgun shell at all, its more like a m80 with a rocket engine on it. They have a special gun that uses a .22 blank to sit it off and launch it into the air. It goes up maybe 75 feet or so and makes a very nice little bang.

edit- i just looked at that link, I guess they do make them fit into a 12 gauge shell. pardon my ignorance.
Old January 13, 2011, 04:40 AM   #4
mete

There is a 12 ga shell that goes out about 75 yds then goes of with a LOUD bang. Used it to chase deer out of the garden. Can't remember the name but those type of rounds are very expensive.
Old January 13, 2011, 04:52 AM   #5
hexidismal

I just recently met a guy who runs a farm. He showed a bunch of the 12 gauge shells me. I had heard of them before, but had never saw one up close and personal. Funny thing was, he was quite insistent that he shoot one out the window of his apartment to show me one on action, regardless of nearby neighbors... Thankfully everyone there convinced him out of it. I still want to see one fired though :P
Old January 13, 2011, 08:55 AM   #6
xMINORxTHREATx

They are pretty neat. It's a 12 guage hull with a really low powder charge, plastic wad, and then on top a M80 like ordinance. I'm not sure how the fuse works on it, but you shoot em out of a shotgun at about a 45 degree angle, and they pop off 5-7 seconds and well over 100 yards later.

Be careful if you use them to scare deer. If it goes off behind them they might run towards you! Then the roles might be reversed.

Old January 13, 2011, 09:21 AM   #7
davecharles

Shell crackers, I still have a partial box of them somewhere. Great fun when you load one in a buddies shotgun when he is outside the blind answering the call of nature. One caution, the ones I have are rather corrosive clean your gun well after shooting.
Dave
Old January 13, 2011, 01:26 PM   #8
publius

I've seldom found ducks in the brush, but the way to get them off your property is to let someone hunt them!
Old January 13, 2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Nick9130White

Woah, thank you very much, I'm not lookin for them to buy, i just wanted to know if they really exploded.
Although, i wouldnt mind owning some.
Old January 13, 2011, 03:34 PM   #10
markj

We use the pistol type, has a shell goes in no 22 or any other primer, bang it sends the charge up and then blammo. Orchards use these to keep birds off the trees. We use em on the 4th cause M-80s are very against the law, these are almost as loud and fun to shoot.

Used to get yard bombs from an exterminator, were just like an m80, they used them for ground squirrles and such.
Old January 15, 2011, 08:50 PM   #11
Stevie-Ray

Bird Bombs

I had a package of 5 of the 12 ga ones that I bought at a gun show for a couple bucks. We shot them off at my BIL's house on New Year's Eve many years ago. They were quite cool, and I'd like to have a bunch more.
Old January 18, 2011, 05:39 PM   #12
markj

http://www.wildlife-control.com/store.htm

http://www.suttonag.com/BirdControlPyrotechnics.html
Old January 23, 2011, 12:27 PM   #13
Creek Henry

I tried reloading these a few years ago with sporadic success. Faster powder worked better I think... but the fuses didn't light well. I took a standard wad and drilled a large hole through it to put the M80 fuse through.

But, if I were to try this again, I would just put an M-80 a wad inverted and load it upsidedown with the fuse in the powder! That should light it for sure. Also, with that set up, I'd go with a slower powder. I might have to try this next dove season.
Old January 24, 2011, 05:00 PM   #14
markj

Them m thingies you mention are very against the law every where. Dont get caught, but if you do this, use something heavy added to the M thingie so it carries when fired. Also the fuse you may want to look at is timer fuse, it is made for this type of application. Cannonfuse.com may have some.

Best buy the already mades as they use materials that are still legal.
Old January 24, 2011, 07:43 PM   #15
Creek Henry

Actually, they were little M-60s which are legal and, well, very much NOT M-80s. I also tried a bundle of 3 or 4 blackcats which worked okay... when they didn't go off in the barrel.
Old January 25, 2011, 12:27 PM   #16
saltydog452

Try your Google-Fu with 'dragons breath' as the search target.

An outfit makes a 12 bore pest deterent that launches a flash/bang device about 100 yds thats supposed to scare off Crows. We can't shoot them ( the Crows) as they are 'protected'.

With bird strikes/aircraft incidents getting more common, there are occasional noises from the FAA to do something.

It isn't just a rural/farm issue anymore.

Paging Alfred Hitchcock.

salty

Last edited by saltydog452; January 25, 2011 at 09:33 PM.