The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2009, 12:48 AM   #26
webby4x4

Sidebar Question:
What is "COAL"? I know that OAL is OverAll Length, but I've searched high and low and can't figure out what COAL is.

And, what is the difference between COAL and OAL (assuming they are related somehow)?

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by webby4x4; April 13, 2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old April 13, 2009, 07:01 AM   #27
Sevens

OAL is overall length
COAL is cartridge overall length

They are the same thing. I tend to use COAL.

When you look at a manual or a collection of data, you should be able to tell if it's the overall length of the loaded round or simply the length of a prepped piece of brass depending on the length. Obviously, the two figures will be radically different.

When I mark a label for a box of loaded rounds (and subsequently enter them in my log/database), COAL is one thing I NEVER leave out. IMO, it's as important as listing the type and charge weight of powder.

Often, I won't list the primer and I almost never denote the headstamp on my brass, but COAL is always included in my notes.

COAL affects the performance of the round in many ways. It's one of those things that you want to repeat when you get it right.
Old April 13, 2009, 10:57 AM   #28
webby4x4

<end of post hijacking>
Thanks Sevens - I never really thought about that. I'm quickly learning that there are dozens of variables that affect accuracy. I think I'll start another thread about what to record, and what I shouldn't bother with.

Rick
Old April 13, 2009, 05:14 PM   #29
Sevens

We have enough topics... what we need are good threads!

Recording of information: I learned over my years in this gig to keep a log of EVERY THING! It helps greatly to keep from repeating mistakes. Many times, you'll look at a caliber or a bullet and get a certain idea. You may then try something. You HAVE to note the result. If you don't, you'll eventually repeat it. You may even get half way through it and say, "hey, haven't I already done this?"

On the box that the ammo sits in, I note the caliber, the bullet maker, the style and weight of bullet, the powder brand, the charge weight, and the COAL. I also list how many are in that box, and the date. That's it for the ammo box.

I tend not to note what brass I used or what primer I used, simply because I try to keep a stock of only one kind of each primer per size and I don't make much distinction with regards to brass.

In my database (excel spreadsheet), however, I keep a single page with a flat log, whether it's ammo produced or a range trip with results of some ammo, or a purchase or whatever. That's the log.

Beyond that, each caliber has a page of it's own, and the top grouping of loads listed are ones that I have tried and I keep the source of my data, the results of my shooting, and any techniques or quirks I noticed at the bench or at the firing line.

The second grouping of loads are "recipes" that I intend to, or might try. Duly noted that I have never actually range tested them. I move those loads line by line to the top grouping when I have tried them.

And if the load was AWFUL, for any reason, that's duly noted as well. I even go as far as to use strikethrough text, to make sure I don't accidentally make the load again if it's lousy.

For me, keeping every relevant piece of info is key.
Old April 13, 2009, 10:44 PM   #30
webby4x4

OK Sevens - I took a stab at creating what I believe is to be a solid starting point for a reloading / shooting log, that should tie the reloading lot back to an shooting event. I took a lot of your ideas and added some that I thought might be important. I used a lot of your ideas (having one log per caliber, etc.)

Take a peek and let me know what you think...

P.S. - All files have been scanned for viruses and I *just* downloaded the most recent anti-virus files (I'm an IT guy by trade).

Below are two links. The first is an MS Excel 2007 file, and the second is an MS Excel 1997-2003 file (both identical, one is just compatible with older versions of Excel).

Reloading & Shooting Log [MS Office Excel 2007]

Reloading & Shooting Log [MS Office Excel 97-2003]

I'd love to get your feedback, thoughts and comments. For that matter - I'd like to get anyone else's feedback thoughts and comments.

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by webby4x4; April 13, 2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old April 13, 2009, 10:49 PM   #31
PCJim

Your 97-03 version link has a problem.....
Old April 13, 2009, 10:54 PM   #32
webby4x4

OK, try it now. I had spaces in the file names, which some computers don't seem to like (I kind of figured that would happen). Should be good to go now.

Rick