The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old November 14, 1999, 04:17 AM   #1
H&K Fan

You know it will be ugly when you are at the range the day before deer season opens. Sure enough, it was. While gun handling was much better than it has been in the past, once every one was back from the targets it sounded like a war. Had a goodtime outshooting a fellow using a .22 revolver on "my" Sprite plastic bottle while I was using the Colt .45 ACP. Just had to put some rounds downrange and didn't feel like annoying the neighbors with the noise of shooting several boxes worth of .45 rounds.
Defining H&K moment: It was dark, I had gathered all my stuff up and was about to leave when a 13 or 14 year old boy wanted to know what kind of rifle I had. I patted the forestock of my short, tactically slung comrade and said "Only an H&K 91 in .308 - just another deer rifle, that's all." Should have seen the look he gave me. You would have thought I just came from Mars.
The sad point to me is once all our current stock wears out (I figure well after my own demise), who will then get to introduce new shooters to the joys of using "high" capacity
serious calibered rifles? Something to think and sleep on folks. Until then , I am just a simpe H&K fan.
Old November 14, 1999, 04:48 AM   #2
Hal

There is a bright spot here though. At least the 13 or 14 year old was at the range. He could have been playing ideo games instead. One of the things I enjoy seeing at any range is the number of wives and kids that show up. Ranges should encourage people to bring guests instead of discouraging it.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.
http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/can.html

Old November 14, 1999, 11:46 AM   #3
Patrick Seeber

H&K Fan - and ALL,

You want a bright shining moment? Next time stop your loading and offer to let him shoot the rifle.

Did this not too long ago with 3 children and their dad who came out to the range to see what was going on. I lost my mind and asked if they had shot a firearm before. They said no. I look dad in the eye and asked if it was okay if we did some training so they could shoot that day. He said no, he didn't want to trouble me. I said it would be my pleasure. Okay was his response...

We learned the 4 laws of firearms and what to do if another kid has a gun. We memorized it and drilled it. We covered how the sights work and how they should look before you put your finger on the trigger.

Then I grabbed the spare ears, my buddy had spare shooting glasses and we went to town. There was a boy - 10, 2 girls - 9 years old. Loaded up the Marlin model 60 and let each one take their turn. ALL were excellent. 2 to 3 rounds to find the sights and they were bustin bottles a piece at a time. Had to help hold the rifle for the girls, but inspite of my assistance, they were great shots!

Truley one of the best days at the range I have EVER HAD. They thanked us and went on their way. Haven't seen em since, but I know they had a BLAST! The smiles were totally worth it.

I am trying to get my daughter's Girl Scout group out to shoot - But they don't have a "patch" for that (grin) yet!

What a RUSH! You gotta try it some time!

[This message has been edited by Patrick Seeber (edited November 14, 1999).]
Old November 14, 1999, 07:10 PM   #4
H&K Fan

I don't really think a retractable stocked 91 is a good choice for a 90 lb. child to shoot. The other problem would have been that technically the range was closed - it was well after sunset. I have however introduced a nephew to firearms after knowing full well his liberal ex-Canadian Mom would not approve. LOL