The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2001, 08:24 PM   #1
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

This post does not have to do with reloading and may be out of place. It does concern ammunition and I didn't see a more "appropriate" place to ask. If the moderator needs to move this, there is no problem.
Hello. To begin with, I've been shooting this stuff in 9mm and .45ACP since the early '80s...if not earlier; I cannot
remember, but am quite familar with it.

In 9mm, some of my previously-purchased USA 115 gr 9mm FMJ's average velocity was 1161 ft/sec out of a Browning HP
and very close to the same from a CZ75. Some new Magtech 115 gr ball from the same BHP averages 1167 ft/sec.

Today, I went shooting and decided on the SIG P210 as I've not shot it in a good while. I fired a box of the Magtech with no surprises no problems. Expecting the same thing with the Winchester (You'll note how close the previously
chronographed velocities were), I was quite surprised to note quite an increase in recoil! Now, I realize that we are "talking 9mm" here, but the increase in recoil was substantial. l did not have my chronograph with me at the range. Being quite sure that this felt like Plus P or Nato loads, I checked the cases but there was no cross in the circle indicating Nato loading, nor was there the Plus P stamp. Neither did the box mention anything like this. I did note that the box says "Q4172" on it. My friend said that such was the military designation. I do not know.

I'll chronograph it to be sure and am not particularly concerned, but does anyone know if Winchester's loading overruns of the Nato stuff in non-Nato-marked cases or if they've just hopped up their standard velocity USA load?
I will chronograph the stuff to know exactly what's going on, but wondered if anyone else has experienced this or has any insight in this?

Best.