The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 2012, 07:32 AM   #1
9ballbilly

.45LC 240gr XTP-MAG

Anyone reloading the 240gr XTP-MAG .452"? I picked up a box to use in my .45LC Blackhawk. I'd like to hear any thoughts, recommendations, or results from people who've tried it. Thanks, Bill

P.S. I currently load for .45acp, .30-30, .38spl. I haven't loaded .45 Colt before.
Old July 6, 2012, 09:01 AM   #2
mrawesome22

I load it in 454Casull.

The xtp mag was not designed to expand at 45Colt velocties.

No such thing as 45LC. There was never a 45SC.

Sent from HenseMod6.
Old July 6, 2012, 11:25 AM   #3
elrotundamundo

45 Schofield

There was however, in the 1870s, a 45 Schofield that was used concurrently with 45 Colt and was shorter. The Colt revolvers would fire either, but the Schofield would not fire the longer 45 Colt. The term Long Colt doesn't presuppose a Short Colt but differentiates it from the 45 Schofield. While adding the "Long" to the 45 Colt is certainly unneccesary and no longer useful, the term was most likely useful at the time and seems to have carried forward.
Old July 6, 2012, 04:30 PM   #4
hornetguy

I've heard both sides of this discussion, and I lean toward just calling it the .45 Colt, but it doesn't give me heartburn either way.

It seems that the .45 Schofield wouldn't need anything other than the "name" to differentiate... I've never heard it called anything other than the .45 Schofield, or the Schofield colt... usually referring to the gun, I think.

I think it should just be called "the Thumper" and be done with it..
Old July 6, 2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Ozzieman

I find it amazing that someone asks a simple, good question and people have to jump on him for doing the evil thing of making a mistake of calling the 45 Colt the LC..
Then we have to hear the history of what 45’s were built. Come on guys give him a break.
I have tried them in my Blackhawk and they were accurate. As far as not being able to get them fast enough that’s incorrect.
Since you are using a Blackhawk, if you use Ruger only loads you can easily get them to 1500 FPS which I have with H110. But be warned it is one stout load…
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
I had great results using the 240 GR 44 mag bullets in my Ruger 77/44. My only negative comment is on getting them in the case. You do need to bell the case quite a bit. I found that the end of the bullet gets deformed easily if you don’t bell the case enough. 3 inch groups at 100 yards out of a Ruger ant so bad
Old July 10, 2012, 09:11 AM   #6
9ballbilly

Thanks guys, FWIW I don't have much experience with the .45 colt and didn't realize I was inadvertantly stepping on a hornets nest when I called it the .45LC. However, nomenclature wasn't the point of my post.

Ozzieman: I contacted Hornady tech support regarding the velocity issue. They advised me that using accurate #9 in a "Ruger only" load of 17.9gr-22.9gr will result in velocities around 1,200fps and would be fine with the XTP-MAG.

Last edited by 9ballbilly; July 10, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old July 10, 2012, 02:37 PM   #7
rclark

I've shot them before, for fun. My loads were in the 900fps range with Unique power. Wasn't concerned about expansion at the time, just something to shoot .... and they did.... All my .45 Colt loads are lead.... Favorite loads are around the 1000fps range.

Here is some 'reading' material : Dissolving the Myth .45 Colt

and

Ross Seyfried on the .45 Colt

and

John Taffin on the .45 Colt

and one more pdf for your files from Brian Pearce .

Brian Pearce on .45 Colt
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; July 10, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old July 10, 2012, 03:01 PM   #8
gunsablazin

While I prefer lead bullets in the .45LC (I call it Long Colt too) I have used the 250gr XTP bullet and with 18.0 gr of 2400 it should be fine for deer size animals. That load does and average of 1,050 fps from my 4 5/8" Ruger. This is a Ruger/Contender only load, and is book max, people load hotter than that, but it is plenty as it is.
Old July 10, 2012, 06:16 PM   #9
jtmckinney

Hornaday's 7th edition says that bullets "Muzzel Velocity Range" is 1100 to 2200 fps. You can certainly get there with either H110 or AA#9 and probably other powders. These are the ones I have experience with in this caliber.

I shoot a Ruger only load with 250 gr HP/XTP and H110 at around 1250 fps and there are publications that say I can go higher, I just do not want to or feel the need to. I don't push AA#9 beyound what accurate's web site says to use.

If I had a box of them I would load them up for increased velocity and not hesitate to use them in any hunting situation where this caliber was called for.

Hope this helps!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"