The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 8, 2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Big Yac

Which scope for my .454 Casull?

Which scope would be best for my Ruger SRH in .454 Casull? Whether its a fixed 2x, a variable power, or a red dot scope please give me your opinions on which will work best and stand up well to the recoil. Thanks.
Old November 9, 2006, 01:12 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

The .454 is going to kick a cheap pistol scope ( under $200 ) or reddot to junk in a short time...

Think Leupold, Burris and Bushnell 3200...in that order. Plan on spending close to $300 for the scope.

2x is fine for a .454 but a 2-6 or 2-7 variable makes it easier to sight in at the range. I always leave my scopes on 2 power in the woods and have successfully taken 200 yard shots with my deer pistol on 2 power.

Nothing beats a good quality reddot for up close and personal hunting situations though, they are faster to acquire the target than any scope. If you plan on spending all of your time in the brush and deep woods then a reddot might be just the thing for you.

I hunt corn and bean fields so i appreciate the magnification from the scope, even though it takes an extra second or two to get the deer in the field of view.

Don't buy cheap, you'll just end up replacing it with better quality optics later.
Old November 9, 2006, 03:04 PM   #3
dairycreek

What mikejonestkd said is absolutely right on. Let me add some personal experience for your consideration. Learning to shoot a handgun with a scope was, for me, hard to do well. Finding the crosshairs quickly just did not come to me easily.

Tried a red dot scope on my 454 and life got a lot simpler. I can acquire the target much more quickly and my accuracy is still good enough for the purpose. I consider my effective shooting range to be about 75-85 yards and, for that, the dot is just fine.

GOOD SHOOTING