The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 4, 2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Coach Z

Anyone had magnaport work done to carry gun

I'm thinking about sending my walther PPS .40 off to get get the barrel and slide ported. I'm raeching out to everyone here for reviews on the company's work as well as how much of a recoil reduction is noticed.

Thanks
Old May 4, 2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Webleymkv

I'm not a fan of porting on guns to be used for self defense. Porting pronounces muzzle flash and blast neither of which are particularly desireable features for a self defense weapon. More importantly though, if you must fire the gun from retention, you'll likely be blowing hot gas and burning powder straight up into your own face, something that will likely be quite "distracting" to say the least.
Old May 4, 2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Coach Z

OK, I'll rephrase to make my question clearer.....

Wait nope it was perfectly clear. Looking for reviews on this company's work. Thanks
Old May 4, 2012, 05:21 PM   #4
fivepaknh

First off your question isn't clear since you never posted what company you're sending it to. Second you asked if anyone has ever had it done and you did receive a rely from Webley on why he has not. You really cannot dictate to people what to post as long as it's on topic.
Old May 4, 2012, 05:44 PM   #5
JonathanZ

He said the company, http://www.magnaport.com/

I have never done this, but I don't see the benefit in a 9, 40 or 45. Maybe in a 44 magnum...
Old May 4, 2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Stevie-Ray

Took my T/C Contender in .45-70 to Magnaport Intl. after realizing I'd never shoot it again unported. I think my hand was still numb at the time. No, it's not a carry gun, but it did have the full rifle style porting done. Took them about an hour while the wife and I had lunch in town. A good experience all-around, the porting worked pretty much as advertised, though the gun is still truly a handgrenade-full.

Quote:
I have never done this, but I don't see the benefit in a 9, 40 or 45. Maybe in a 44 magnum...
You'll see far more benefit from 9mm or .40 than .45.
Old May 5, 2012, 07:12 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

PPS, porting...

I'd think twice before spending a lot of $ on a porting job for a semi-auto pistol the size of a PPS. It may work but it may also cause problems with the function of the slide/pistol unless you use powerful rounds.
Mag-Na-Ports or porting is better for DA revolvers for carry-protection.

In the late 1990s, I owned a custom Beretta 96D .40 with a stainless steel ported barrel(extended). It helped balance the big 96D & improved marksmanship.
I toted it in a Aker shoulder holster.

CF
Old May 5, 2012, 09:36 AM   #8
dyl

I had a S&W 442 that was ported from the factory.

The work was fine, accuracy was fine. I mostly shot FMJ through that snub nose so I can't talk about leading. Not really much extra to clean as far as powder deposits, just a couple lines of crud on the left and right side of the front sight blade.

Recoil reduction was difficult to judge. For 2 reasons - I had a wooden grip, and recoil in the airweight snub nose is no joke to begin with. If I had to guess I'd say (for a snub nose mind you, not 40 cal) a reduction of the muzzle flip by about 1/3, not necessarily in rearwards force. Sorry, wish I could remember better. I didn't put a lot of rounds through it.

I too have heard that porting works best in calibers/barrel lengths where there is still a lot of pressure at the front by the time the bullet exits. The snub nose is a good example because of the short barrel length, and shotguns would be an example where there is less effect because the pressure / gas is mostly spent by then.

More flash? Yes. I no longer have that revolver so i can't do more testing for you. I don't remember if it was louder or not because I always double up on hearing protection and it was a few years ago. Snub noses are loud to begin with due to the shorter barrel length and cylinder gap - so I'd imagine using in self defense would just make it even worse. I was less concerned about burning myself if I had to shoot from retention or from a jacket pocket.
I have heard mixed reports about no loss in velocity or a loss of ~ 100 fps.
In the end if it came down to learning recoil management vs. porting and it's trade-offs, for now I would not port. If I feel like I've "mastered" recoil management and follow-up shots (still working on it) and still felt unsatisfied I might consider it but I know I can improve without it for now.

I've never tried a semi-auto ported. I bet it would do well for competitions that allow it. Some folks buy an extended barrel that is ported and protrudes further out of the front of the slide. You wouldn't have to alter the slide for that. - whoops, I don't see anything like that available for the PPS. didn't mean to get your hopes up, sorry.

Last edited by dyl; May 5, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old May 5, 2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Coach Z

Dyl thanks for the thorough response! I saw a post (not sure where, can't find it now) of someone that had their .40 pps ported and their reviews were positive. Mangnaport seems like the go to company for this kind of project. Anyone else dealt with Magnaport?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 5, 2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Hairbag

I had a Kahr P40 ported by magnaport and they do great work. It does reduce the felt recoil alot. The P40 felt more like a 9mm+P after getting it ported. Their turnaround is fast. I got the slide and barrel back in 5-6 days. My clothes did not catch fire.I was not blinded by muzzle flash and my hands were not burned LOL My groupings improved alot. Sorry,I sold that gun. I'm thinking of picking another Kahr in K40 or CW40 and having it ported. Good luck.
Old May 5, 2012, 01:40 PM   #11
WC145

I have two Mag-na-port customs, a Charter Arms Bulldog "Backpacker" .44spl (one of a run of 250 done by Mag-na-port back in the late 70's) and a 3" S&W M29 that has received the full Mag-na-port treatment - porting, action, grip frame reduction, etc., plus some other work by a local 'smith. Both shoot extremely well, with a marked reduction in recoil, and have excellent actions. Noise and flash are not increased as much as redirected so they may seem worse, though the flash is more noticeable with the .44spl than the .44mag.

I also have an Automag V in .50AE that's ported from the factory. I've never shot any other guns in .50AE for comparison but I can tell you that muzzle jump isn't bad, the recoil comes back more than up. It's pretty brutal (and I'm not recoil shy), I can only imagine what it would be like without the porting.

So, IMO porting has it's place, as long as you know what you're getting into and what to expect as far as advantages and disadvantages. Also, I'd like to say that for all the talk about muzzle flash and and night vision, I've trained in low light and darkness with a number of different weapons and have never found it to be that big an issue, especially with modern ammunition.

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old May 5, 2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Clifford L. Hughes

Coach Z:

I've not had a carry gun magna ported but I have on my hunting revolvers. I had my Smith &Wesson Model 29 ported, re-crowned and the forcing cone recut.
They shortened my Ruger Super Black Hawk's barrell to 4 5/8 inches, re-crowned it and re-cut the forcing cone. Their work was flawless. I'm not sure how much the porting reduces recoil; however, I recover from recoil faster. I reccomend the porting.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Cliffford L. Hughe
USMC Retired
Old May 5, 2012, 09:32 PM   #13
Coach Z

Thank you

Guys thank you very much for the thoughtful responses, I appreciate you taking the time to do so. When I'm back home in a couple weeks I'm going to send it off to get ported! I'll update with pics and range time once it returns.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:18 AM   #14
Walklightly

Webleymkv

What's your experience's with porting, the Internet? Also, have you ever heard of no flash powder?

PS: S&W sell's or sold Magna Port hand gun, I think it was a J-frame.
Old May 6, 2012, 04:37 PM   #15
fourdogs

As far as porting goes most people either like it or they don't. General consensus is that porting isn't such a good idea for a carry gun. What Webleymkv said is good info. Yes there's low flash but debris could and would possibly strike you in the face or eyes under certain conditions especially if the gun would be used for self defense.

Many guys who have ported guns (revolvers at least ) bought them that way. They usually get a deal since it seems porting generally lowers the resale. I bought a ported FA 454.The porting really did help hold the muzzle down at the expense of shooting gasses/ lead/ lube/ not only up but to the left and right. I sent the gun back to get the ports cut off. I like the gun much better now both functionally and aesthetically and it's easier to clean too. This may not help answer the OP questions but it's my story and I'm sticking to it

Last edited by fourdogs; May 7, 2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: correction
Old May 6, 2012, 11:13 PM   #16
Webleymkv

Quote:
What's your experience's with porting, the Internet?
Actually I've shot ported guns and also shot next to people at the range who had ported guns. While the recoil reduction was there, I did not really think it was worth the drawbacks on a defensive gun though I could see it being useful on a hunting gun in a large caliber. Since we're on the topic, do you have any experience with porting beyond snarky internet posts?

Quote:
Also, have you ever heard of no flash powder?
Actually, no I've not heard of no flash powder though I have certainly heard of flash suppressed powder. I've yet to hear of any powder or ammunition which is guaranteed to completely eliminate muzzle flash, though many claim to reduce it. The fact is that porting will redirect the muzzle flash, whether it's reduced from powder or not, directly up and into your line of sight.

Also, flash suppressed powders have nothing to do with the fact that porting will be blowing hot gas directly up when the gun is fired. This is unavoidable as it is the very mechanism that porting works on. If there were no gas being redirected, then porting would afford no reduction in recoil. Because of this, if you have to fire the gun from retention, the very same gas that's being redirected to reduce recoil may very well be redirected right into your face.
Old May 7, 2012, 01:10 AM   #17
Walklightly

Webleymkv

Quote:
Since we're on the topic, do you have any experience with porting beyond snarky internet posts?
Yes, I have three large frame revolvers .357s, one's ported (3000+ rounds), one with a compensator (500+ rounds).

My apologies, you know what I mean, we have a lot of Internet experts running amok. My favorite, or not, is, "I don't know, but I'll comment anyway, so I waste your time reading this with nothing constructive to add".

Quote:
Actually, no I've not heard of no flash powder though I have certainly heard of flash suppressed powder.
I guess I stand corrected, thank you.

TBS, I'd like (love) to get a power port S&W J-frame for carry, but it's a money thing, and it's way down on my priority list. I already have a S&W 638 Airweight that I carry, so it's more of a want than a need.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:16 AM   #18
Gunn Smithy

Every gun I own is Mag-Na-Ported; Currently that is 5 carry revolver's, but I am adding a Sig Sauer 1911 that will immediately be sent off for Auto-Porting from the same firm. Not one gun did I ever notice a limited or non existent improvement over the non ported version. The only notice of any kind worth mentioning is with my model 60 and its milled in front sight blade, after shooting a bunch of lead ammo, I did notice some lead exposure to the sides of the front sight blade. Easily cleaned off with some Hoppe's #9. And for the average Joe firearm, the end result of porting is the increase of value for the gun. Sure, a prime example of a Colt SSA in 44-40 might suffer financially if it were to be ported, but certainly not your every day service revolver or auto. Mag-Na-Port does excellent work and it's worth every penny spent on the addition. Smithy.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:42 PM   #19
Bob Wright

First of all, Mag-Na-Port does fine work and is a most highly reputable company.

Porting doesn't actually reduce recoil, but muzzle climb, or flip. And, in a relatively moderate recoiling handgun, really isn't necessary. I've found where it comes in handy is with the big .454, .475, and 50 calibers.

And, for a small gun used at close quarters, the possibility of being burned by the ported blast has turned me off.

Bob Wright
Old April 13, 2013, 10:12 PM   #20
Cosmodragoon

I've only recently started thinking about porting. What got me started is interest in the .327 federal magnum. Looking at the Smith and Wesson 632 Pro, I thought to myself: "is it really necessary to port that?". Then in a discussion here, some folks talked about how:

1. Porting really is NOT necessary in this caliber. Even the lighter weight and shorter barrel of the J-Frame don't cause much trouble. Certainly something like the GP100 in .327 doesn't need it. (Of course, I'm open to different opinions from people with real experience here.)

2. The .327 magnum shoots out a ton of hot mess when it fires. A short barrel exacerbates this and the porting takes it a step further. Some Firing Line members actually said that aside from "tasting it" when they shoot, they've had adjacent shooters at the range relocate or ask them to shoot further down!

So, I'm guessing that there is a weight vs. caliber vs. barrel length relationship that determines when porting becomes helpful or optimal.
Old July 20, 2013, 02:39 PM   #21
hugostiglitz

Magna-port S&W 340 PD

I had my S&W 340 PD magna ported last year. I am happy with the results. I also added pachmayr decelerator grips. There is a definite improvement in recoil and follow up shots are more accurate. I have not found the increased flash/noise to be a problem.
Old July 20, 2013, 03:24 PM   #22
rep1954

I started using Magna-Port when they first came out and had it done to 3 guns by them. I worked in a tool & die at the time as I still do and after shooting with the guys I worked with we soon were porting are own guns with our EDM machine. We did our Ruger Blackhawks and TC Contenders and as Bob Wright had said earlier the felt recoil wasn't changed by much as the big talk of the time promised but muzzle rise was decreased. These were mostly heavy guns and the weight of the gun absorbed the recoil. Between me and my friends we lost interest in porting. About five years ago I discovered a company called Gemini Customs who were specializing in custom combat tuning of carry revolvers. I sent them a S&W 642 who's package included a action tune and a porting job that consisted of 3 large holes down the length of the barrel. I also had them polish the trigger bright to help ease with the double action only pull of the gun. This was the first ported gun that I have really notice any decrease in felt recoil and it was considerable. I was soon sweet talked out of it by my friends wife who has swooned me out of a few guns after getting them set up for defense shooting. I have not shot any of the smaller or light weight semis with porting but I am convinced that the lighter a gun gets the more the benefit maybe. Oh yeah that 642 was loud.
Old July 20, 2013, 09:00 PM   #23
spaniel

I have similar guns, ported and non-ported. The ported gun is so much louder that I'd never carry it for SD....it has no advantage over a non-ported gun great enough to offset the certain permanent hearing damage.
Old July 22, 2013, 06:58 PM   #24
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
This was the first ported gun that I have really notice any decrease in felt recoil and it was considerable.
Magnaport Intl. offers rifle Magnaporting, which is the top ports along with side ports, which, of course, are the ones for recoil, as the ports are angled rearward. On a heavy kicker like my .45-70, there was no question what I needed. But, as I said, it's still horrendous, as it's a tapered barrel.
Old July 22, 2013, 09:51 PM   #25
Deaf Smith

No.

Why no magnaport?

Because if you have to fire the gun from retention the blast can blind you to.

See that port points upward and when fired from the belt level the blast comes up in your face.

I'd rather have a regular gun and not worry about that.

Deaf