The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 16, 2000, 03:09 PM   #1
Kenneth L. Walters

Thompson submachines guns are still made by the new owners of Auto-Ordnance. That I confirmed today. They aren't for sale to us civilians. Is that a company decision or is that a matter of law?
Old March 16, 2000, 03:59 PM   #2
Eric Blair

Full Auto? They are covered by the beautifully named "Firearm Owners Protection Act"
Only MG manufactured, and registered before May 19, 1986 can be owned by "civilians". (btw: Cops are civilians, even if they want to ignore it. Unless you are paid Military, accept the title.)

Simple enough reason. Not AO decision, but Uncle Ronnie. (He signed the stupid law, backed by our beautiful NRA!)

Eric
Old March 16, 2000, 05:34 PM   #3
The Rock

From what The Rock knows, the amendment to the bill that did that, was passed by a voice vote in the closing minutes and Pres. Reagan didn't know about it. I think it was Latenburg, the same dude who brought us the wonderful misdemeanor ban too.

TR
Old March 17, 2000, 12:41 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Reagan and the NRA knew about it. The NRA did a trade off to get the interstate transport law which was part of the same bill. They could have gotten the bill killed, but they wanted that transport law for their target shooters and they thought they could get the MG provision changed later. I told them what I thought of that idea.

Jim
Old March 17, 2000, 09:07 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

And since that wonderful law, machineguns have doubled, tripled in price, or worse.